Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Notre Dame 93, Duke 89 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

The good news is, this will help our Quad 1 win remain a Quad 1 win.

I don’t want to discuss it.

Decent O - Horrible D. Story of the season. At least few people are watching this year. If not Duke, rooting for Gonzaga this year.

This should be our last game in which we are favored. Are we really improving? Felt like defensively we took a few steps backward.

Can't read too much in to our offensive performance as they might be one of the worst defenses in the country.

Party like it’s 1995.

Did I just watch the same game over again? I feel like I've seen this game several times.

Major 94-95 flashbacks.

Game at Wake looks loseable. We're likely losing most of remaining games.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    This should be our last game in which we are favored. Are we really improving? Felt like defensively we took a few steps backward.

Can't read too much in to our offensive performance as they might be one of the worst defenses in the country.
    The commentators kept mentioning that Duke's TOs were some better than against UNC and would always follow up with "but Notre Dame isn't a team that tries to get turnovers..."

That's just a nice way of saying they aren't very good.

Another winnable game that Duke did not win.

Still not giving up on this team because they are in most games they are currently losing with under a couple minutes left. Just can’t finish right now and the defense has a LONG way to go. The kids do appear to be playing with heart, though. Incredibly frustrating.

Basically a statistical dead heat save for free throws...they go 18-20 and we go 7-8. We outrebounded them by a little.

In a game where neither team could defend, Brey made the adjustment to go zone with about 9 to go and it slowed us down enough for them to beat us.

For once, we got out to the big lead, sad that we couldn't hold it.

I feel bad for these guys, losing this many close ones has got to be tough. It is a lot like 94-95 in that way, except K has to sit and experience it from the bench.

Wendell played a really good game. Mark Williams is getting better. I feel like Roach is coming around. Going at Hurt and getting him into foul trouble is emerging as a strategy.

Onward.

Can someone help me understand why we didn’t change our approach to defending the high pick & roll? It’s not like we could say we played OK against it, they were killing us with it. At least that’s how it appeared to me..

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Game at Wake looks loseable. We're likely losing most of remaining games.
    Pie bet? I will be shocked if we lose the rest of out games.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Party like it’s 1995.
    The 1995 team was way better. They were far more overmatched, played harder, and kept bringing it against top ten opponents. They mailed it in hardly ever, maybe the home State game, but basically they didn't. Indeed, this team has really made me appreciate 1995 and 1996 a lot more.

We're just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    Can someone help me understand why we didn’t change our approach to defending the high pick & roll? It’s not like we could say we played OK against it, they were killing us with it. At least that’s how it appeared to me..
    Good question. They did kill us with it.

Pretty clear we are grasping at straws more than ever. That lineup the last couple of minutes in a one-possession game wasn’t a recipe for success.

And our D? Yikes.

Hard to comply with the rules of the thread and say much more.

The team played like the embodiment of where most fans are at this point just wanting it to all be over. I see nothing different in this team than the one 8 miles down the road we mocked all last season. If anything Cole Anthony was more productive than Jalen.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The 1995 team was way better. They were far more overmatched, played harder, and kept bringing it against top ten opponents. They mailed it in hardly ever, maybe the home State game, but basically they didn't. Indeed, this team has really made me appreciate 1995 and 1996 a lot more.
    I agree with this completely, by the way. The 94-95 team was snakebit in a way that this team absolutely is not. There aren't a lot of last-second losses with this team, just failures to take the lead when it counts.