Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I would rather wake up with my face stapled to the carpet than listen to pop music. But, Shakira makes me rethink that. And I have no idea what she sings.
    She’s the Queen of Latin Music and one of the first cross-over stars to the U.S. from Latin music. Helped popularize raggaeton.

She’s the Danaerys Stormborn of the music world.

And, yeah, just a mesmerizing dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hipsters do. About everything.
    Q: how did the hipster burn his mouth?

A: he ate pizza before it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Q: how did the hipster burn his mouth?

A: he ate pizza before it was cool.
    Heh heh. How did hipsters become such a universally mocked group?

Not a joke set up. Genuinely curious. Who introduced the making fun of hipsters? Blind guess: Fred Armisen.

Heh heh. How did hipsters become such a universally mocked group?

Not a joke set up. Genuinely curious. Who introduced the making fun of hipsters? Blind guess: Fred Armisen.
    no idea, but top knots and fedoras on 20 year olds seem to be eminently mockable.

Hot take. I have seen halftime shows where I was glad to see the artist because I like the artist but I have never seen a good halftime show. Not in the history of ever.
    Prince would like a word with you.

I would also argue that Bruno Mars did a great job.

But it is a short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

But it is a short list.
    I watched the Prince one but I thought the sound quality was bad. I think that may be one of the things that is an overarching themes of all of these is that the sound quality is always bad. I have heard this idea expressed before that Bruno Mars did a good job. I must confess I have no idea who that is.

But it is a short list.
    Beyoncé was good.

I don’t understand why no one besides me is plugging Shakira and J-Lo. That was a great show in Miami. Lot of fun.

Beyoncé was good.

I don’t understand why no one besides me is plugging Shakira and J-Lo. That was a great show in Miami. Lot of fun.
    I thought last year was cringeworthy to be honest- that's why I haven't commented. The music was fine, but the amount of "crotch" featured was really awkward. And I'm far from a prude.

I just remember watching it and thinking of how many young boys were watching it and coming away with lots and lots of questions that the NFL was unprepared to answer for them. And girls too - I'm equal opportunity there.

Maybe I should be sitting this one out. I think we have established the only way to make me happy is if Dre and George Strait do a set together. I would also geek out over a Terry Gross interview or a 538 podcast. You could theoretically make the case that I'm not truly representative of what is cool in society.

But it is a short list.
    I also thought Bruno Mars was very good and appealed to about as large an audience as is possible these days. I only saw the first half of halftime last night but thought it was meh. And all of the instrumentalists (such as string players) without masks bothered me.

So, for those of us who haven't been watching all 55 Super Bowls, the history of the SB halftime is fairly recent. Up into the late 80s it was mostly marching bands and showtunes. Looking at the list of performers, it is easier to select out a few impressive shows than to try and dial in which ones were disappointing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ws?wprov=sfla1

If anyone remembers XXIX - I have lots of questions

Here's my list of decent ones, YMMV:

Michael Jackson
    Boyz II Men, Temptations, Queen Latifah (hey, anyone know she has a new show coming out? It's on CBS!)
    I wish XXVIII was remembered for anything other than the wardrobe incident - quite the lineup!
    Prince
    Beyonce
    Bruno
    Gaga

I think it is worth noting that certain music tends to succeed better than others in that sort of venue and timeframe. I'd love to see a U2 concert, but 20 minutes of them with suspect sound on a stage erected in under 90 seconds doesn't do them justice (see also The Who, Stones, Bruce)

Sometimes the sound is so bad it takes away from the enjoyment of the show. The Black Eyed Peas did that for me.

Now then, feel free to rip me to shreds.

I thought last year was cringeworthy to be honest- that's why I haven't commented. The music was fine, but the amount of "crotch" featured was really awkward. And I'm far from a prude.

I just remember watching it and thinking of how many young boys were watching it and coming away with lots and lots of questions that the NFL was unprepared to answer for them. And girls too - I'm equal opportunity there.
    Maybe but that type of sexual suggestiveness is also deeply connected to Latin dance so I guess it didn’t seem out of place in that context.

This would start to get into PPB but the NFL basically sells violence and sex so felt very on brand in that regard.

Maybe but that type of sexual suggestiveness is also deeply connected to Latin dance so I guess it didn’t seem out of place in that context.

This would start to get into PPB but the NFL basically sells violence and sex so felt very on brand in that regard.
    Maybe it only felt out of context because I was watching with my 9 year old nephew.

I thought that the Gwen Stefani/Blake Shelton T-Mobile commercial was funny because they really are a random couple.

I also liked the Toyota commercial with the paralympic swimmer.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 02-08-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Thread-jack: The mountains east of Ogden are some of the most underrated in the world, IMO. Even in Utah, all the love goes to those that frame the Salt Lake Valley (Olympus, in particular), or Timpanogos or Nebo in Utah Valley. Ben Lomond rarely gets any love.
    Agreed. I believe we've traded posts on Utah before but I lived in Ogden for a bit and hiked weekly in those mountains while we were there. The Uintas are nice, too, and not heavily visited.
    You know I can never let a thread stay on topic...

Spent a weekend in Ogden a few years back. Hiked the "Waterfall Canyon Trail" which I remember was straight up the mountain behind Weber St. but beautiful once to the falls. Then had some wonderful adult beverages at a Brewpub called Rooster's and stayed at the Ben Lomond Suites. Great time, 10 outta 10 would recommend.

Oh, and I was pretty bored of the Super Bowl commercials...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Rating Super Bowl ads is kind of like rating Economy class airline meals.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Rating Super Bowl ads is kind of like rating Economy class airline meals.
    The big difference is the customer got their money’s worth with their Economy class airline meal.

But it is a short list.
    I watched the Prince one but I thought the sound quality was bad. I think that may be one of the things that is an overarching themes of all of these is that the sound quality is always bad. I have heard this idea expressed before that Bruno Mars did a good job. I must confess I have no idea who that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I also thought Bruno Mars was very good and appealed to about as large an audience as is possible these days. I only saw the first half of halftime last night but thought it was meh. And all of the instrumentalists (such as string players) without masks bothered me.
    I was impressed by Bruno on the drums. The highlight of that show for me was the Chili Peppers cameo. I can't really remember how good or bad most of the other shows were, they didn't really stick out to me.

The Prince halftime show was fantastic, my only regret is that I didn't see it live (wasn't really following the NFL or any pro sports at that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    You know I can never let a thread stay on topic...

Spent a weekend in Ogden a few years back. Hiked the "Waterfall Canyon Trail" which I remember was straight up the mountain behind Weber St. but beautiful once to the falls. Then had some wonderful adult beverages at a Brewpub called Rooster's and stayed at the Ben Lomond Suites. Great time, 10 outta 10 would recommend.

Oh, and I was pretty bored of the Super Bowl commercials...
    Ah, Roosters! One of the many purveyors of polygamy ale!

Maybe I should be sitting this one out. I think we have established the only way to make me happy is if Dre and George Strait do a set together. I would also geek out over a Terry Gross interview or a 538 podcast. You could theoretically make the case that I'm not truly representative of what is cool in society.
    You seem to be doing a pretty good job of that on your own.

(In truth, I mostly agree with you, but you teed that up so high...)