Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good effort by Tiafoe. In his position as the huge underdog, he had to win the 3rd-set tiebreaker to go up 2 sets to 1. When he lost, of course the match was done.

BTW, lots of quotes from players (see Novak below) that the Aussie courts are even faster this year. Stinks that Fed is out with injury as he would've enjoyed these conditions.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Good effort by Tiafoe. In his position as the huge underdog, he had to win the 3rd-set tiebreaker to go up 2 sets to 1. When he lost, of course the match was done.

BTW, lots of quotes from players (see Novak below) that the Aussie courts are even faster this year. Stinks that Fed is out with injury as he would've enjoyed these conditions.

Spoiler!
    +1 to this, Trouble. And as a FedFan, it's difficult in picking your poison- Nadal to take it and gain full possession of the Grand Slam race, or Joker, to (for 4 months, anyway) keep Nadal at bay, but add to his total. it seems what would have been unfathomable 7 years ago, but Fed will likely wind up 3rd in the Grand Slam race.

Moving on, I'd only seen highlights all week, so finally last night watched an entire replay of Theim - Kyrgios. What drama in the 3rd and 4th, when Nick really had some chances, Thiem just hit some real big backhands. Great stuff. Kyrgios had the crowd with him like I'd never seen before. Looking forward to Thiem - Dimitrov; Tsitsipas - Berrettini. and Fognini is always good as a showman, though I doubt he's got much of a punchers chance w/Nadal.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    +1 to this, Trouble. And as a FedFan, it's difficult in picking your poison- Nadal to take it and gain full possession of the Grand Slam race, or Joker, to (for 4 months, anyway) keep Nadal at bay, but add to his total. it seems what would have been unfathomable 7 years ago, but Fed will likely wind up 3rd in the Grand Slam race.

Moving on, I'd only seen highlights all week, so finally last night watched an entire replay of Theim - Kyrgios. What drama in the 3rd and 4th, when Nick really had some chances, Thiem just hit some real big backhands. Great stuff. Kyrgios had the crowd with him like I'd never seen before. Looking forward to Thiem - Dimitrov; Tsitsipas - Berrettini. and Fognini is always good as a showman, though I doubt he's got much of a punchers chance w/Nadal.
    Well, I hope Nadal prevails against Fognini. But Fognini has had Nadal’s number in the past and he really gets up for Nadal. Having no spectators could actually help Fognini, since he often loses focus when he gets into spats with the fans.

I would love to watch Thiem/Dimitrov live, but I think it will be too late for me by the time it starts. For the fourth time in four rounds, the Serena match has been slotted into the prime time slot (9P EST). I don’t mind watching her once or twice, but it would be nice to see some other matches live as well.

American Jessica Pegula with huge upset win over 5th-seeded Elina Svitolina.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    American Jessica Pegula with huge upset win over 5th-seeded Elina Svitolina.
    And Brady up big early!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    And Brady up big early!
    He plays pro tennis too?! No wonder everyone hates him! Does Gronk join him for doubles?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    He plays pro tennis too?! No wonder everyone hates him! Does Gronk join him for doubles?

-jk
    Philistine.

Djoker and Zverev in a 4th set breaker.

Djoker and Zverev in a 4th set breaker.
    Unfortunately (since I am not a Djoker fan), Zverev never seemed to believe he could win. And everything seems to be falling into place for Djokovic, since he will play a qualifier in the semis. Plus his abdominal “tear” miraculously healed quickly. It is very hard to beat the guy when he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Unfortunately (since I am not a Djoker fan), Zverev never seemed to believe he could win. And everything seems to be falling into place for Djokovic, since he will play a qualifier in the semis. Plus his abdominal “tear” miraculously healed quickly. It is very hard to beat the guy when he is healthy.
    I admire Djokovic. I can't say I love him the way I love Fed and Nadal. But as a striker of the ball, he is the best I have ever seen. Even better than Agassi.

I admire Djokovic. I can't say I love him the way I love Fed and Nadal. But as a striker of the ball, he is the best I have ever seen. Even better than Agassi.
    Agree. He strikes the ball very cleanly. One other who strikes the ball very cleanly is Fognini...but he just doesn’t have the same discipline or focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Agree. He strikes the ball very cleanly. One other who strikes the ball very cleanly is Fognini...but he just doesn’t have the same discipline or focus.
    Let's jump in the Wayback machine and revisit Marcelo Rios, Marat Safin and Tommy Haas. All of them unbelievable ball strikers and all of them had a singular issue, and it was between their ears. At least Safin broke through.

Let's jump in the Wayback machine and revisit Marcelo Rios, Marat Safin and Tommy Haas. All of them unbelievable ball strikers and all of them had a singular issue, and it was between their ears. At least Safin broke through.
    While Rios never won a slam, he did achieve a world #1 ranking...I guess that might tell you that tennis rankings only mean so much as they indicate how often you play tournaments and consistency in those. I'd add Nalbandian to the list, who also never broke through in a Slam. He did win a Year End Championship over Federer 7-6 in the fifth. Del Potro too. That guy could beast groundies. I just looked him up and apparently he's now ranked 128 in the world...yikes! I think injuries have plagued him.

I liked Nalbandian. I had a discussion with my tennis nemesis the other day (he OWNS me) about this. Nalbandian is in that group that the Big 3 just absolutely stifled. There are 20 years worth of potential Grand Slam winners that those 3 changed the narrative on. I would put Nalbandian and Haas on the list of dudes who would have won at least 1 slam but for those 3. I also think they changed the narrative for Safin and Roddick who would have won more titles than they did.

For the record, I do not like Djokovic. Here is an interesting take on yet another of his miraculous recoveries. You'd think he would realize people aren't buying his crap anymore

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...eeef28ff4eac12

I liked Nalbandian. I had a discussion with my tennis nemesis the other day (he OWNS me) about this. Nalbandian is in that group that the Big 3 just absolutely stifled. There are 20 years worth of potential Grand Slam winners that those 3 changed the narrative on. I would put Nalbandian and Haas on the list of dudes who would have won at least 1 slam but for those 3. I also think they changed the narrative for Safin and Roddick who would have won more titles than they did.
    Yep, think about poor Andy Murray as well. Arguably one of the greatest players of all time, but because his career was simultaneous with the "big 3", he ended up with "just" 3 majors. Imagine his career if he'd played in the 1990s instead of the 2010s.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, think about poor Andy Murray as well. Arguably one of the greatest players of all time, but because his career was simultaneous with the "big 3", he ended up with "just" 3 majors. Imagine his career if he'd played in the 1990s instead of the 2010s.
    Agreed. I think he has Agassi's career.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    For the record, I do not like Djokovic. Here is an interesting take on yet another of his miraculous recoveries. You'd think he would realize people aren't buying his crap anymore

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...eeef28ff4eac12
    It is very hard for me to believe that he could play at all with an actual tear in his abdominal muscle. I had a hard time believing his elbow injury a couple years ago was serious as well...I thought maybe he just wanted a mental break.

But there is no debating his talent and determination.

For the record, I thought it was pretty classless for him to smash his racket when he missed a service return to give Zverev Ad-In, and then take time to get a new racket while Zverev waited to serve (I think for the set). I think he should have had to finish that game with his broken racket. That would be a great rule change for intentionally breaking a racket!

Been a Jenn Brady fan for a while, but first time watching Pegula. She is tough. Brady is more talented, but Pegula knows her game and plays her well.

Nadal ans Tsitsipas into the 5th!!!