Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is a good writeup, but you probably should have clarified that the numbers you were giving were rankings on a 1-10 scale. I was really scratching my head trying to figure out how Iron Man 1 was the #2 most connected to WandaVision film in the MCU, it took me until the end of the list to realize what you were doing. Maybe it was more obvious to everyone else.
    Sorry, I sorta figured the 1-10 scale was a given... though I messed that up by making a lot of movies "9" and none of them a 10. I mean, Infinity War and Age of Ultron are probably 10s in terms of WandaVision connection and Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, an a few others are probably 10s in terms of "worth watching."

Although it is a great writeup, hard disagree on Guardians 2. The two Guardians movies are among the best movies in the franchise.
    Yeah, but Guardians 2 is pretty close to a stand alone film that has no connection at all to the rest of the MCU. If you watch Guardians 1 and love it, then you can watch 2, but I needed to pare things down as much as possible for Wilson so it would not seem overwhelming. That's why I did not put Panther or Homecoming in green even though they are fabulous films.

Also, Dr. Strange is a 1 in terms of WandaVision connection now, but is likely to be somewhere close to a 10 by the time the series is over.
    Well, I decided a little while ago to mostly remain spoiler-free on WV so I don't know what you folks are talking about. I'd rather let this one wash over me and be a surprise versus knowing stuff in advance.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So I'm somebody for whom time travel is a deal-breaker. In the MCU, I still enjoyed Ant Man and Wasp, but with the very end of Infinity War and it's inevitable sequel in Endgame, the entire MCU jumped the shark for me. The talk of the multiverse and time discontinuity in WandaVision scares me. On the other hand, "The Blip" in Spiderman FFH fit into the first few minutes and was largely ignorable in terms of the basic plot of the film, which I though was otherwise pretty good.

Based on that background, should I skip the WV series, or does the time travel/multiverse aspect play a non-ignorable role?
    I would encourage you to give it a try, as this seems like an attempt (success determination pending) to build a cinematic-quality tv universe connected to the MCU, which seems worth watching just on that basis alone, plus general consensus appears to be improving quality over the latest episodes (and I personally quite enjoy it).

Having said that, the end of the last episode featured the appearance of Quicksilver, Wanda Maximoff's brother, who died in the events of Age of Ultron. However, this Quicksilver in WandaVision is not Wanda's brother as cast and characterized as he was in Age of Ultron, which canonically happened in-universe in 2015, 8 years prior to WandaVision. Instead, Quicksilver is cast and characterized as he was in X-men: Days of Future Past, i.e., a different actor playing a different version of the character from a different comic-movie universe, whom we first meet in that universe timeline in the 1970s. Disney now owns the rights to both the previously-Fox-led X-men universe movies and the MCU, and folks are geeking out about this show because it looks like it will be the introduction to blending the two comic-movie universes via time travel and/or multiverse mechanics (to the extent they differ in the MCU, which I don't think they do).

So, time travel/multiverse contortions had not played much of a role in WandaVision . . . until the last few minutes of the most recent episode, at which point it looks like they have been positioned it to feature centrally in explaining the mechanics of what has happened to create Wanda's World and set up portions of the MCU going forward. My recommendation to most on this show is to watch, and be patient through the first two or three episodes until things pick up pace a bit, but you may think differently based on the above.

I'm starting to think I should have stuck to my guns with my Agnes skepticism.

I'm starting to think I should have stuck to my guns with my Agnes skepticism.
    (Potential spoilers below!)

It’s either:

A) Agnes is Agatha Harkness and her yet-to-be-seen husband Ralph is Mephisto.
    B) Pietro is Mephisto in disguise.

After the latest episode I’m more inclined for (B) but then again they’re not exactly mutually exclusive. The scene with Agnes in the car on the edge of town definitely allayed some suspicion but it could be a misdirect.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    (Potential spoilers below!)

It’s either:

A) Agnes is Agatha Harkness and her yet-to-be-seen husband Ralph is Mephisto.
    B) Pietro is Mephisto in disguise.

After the latest episode I’m more inclined for (B) but then again they’re not exactly mutually exclusive. The scene with Agnes in the car on the edge of town definitely allayed some suspicion but it could be a misdirect.
    It seems like it probably matters that Agnes and Herb are the only ones who seem...aware...but I'm not sure how it matters. I feel like not enough people are talking about Herb...he obviously has some importance.

Yeah. Starting to think Pietro is now the “bad guy” in disguise. His asking “how did you do this?” was more than just brotherly curiosity. It might also be Dr Strange. Who knows.

And Agnes could be a misdirect but I doubt it. Clearly though Wanda has told a few people what is happening.

Ending of this one was great. Wanda is exceptionally powerful. Really hope they find a way for Vision to survive all this. But not sanguine.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Ending of this one was great. Wanda is exceptionally powerful. Really hope they find a way for Vision to survive all this. But not sanguine.
    One thought that occurred to me is that while you can develop characters a lot in these Disney+ series, I don't think you can fundamentally change the MCU in a way that would have a big impact on the movies. So, bringing Vision back to life -- and having him play a role in upcoming films -- may be off the table. Similarly, if the entire X-men universe is going to be introduced into the MCU, I don't think they would do it in a TV show.

So, I expect Pietro to be the "bad guy" in disguise and I don't think Vision will survive this TV show. I'd bet that Wanda's children also don't survive outside the hex/anomaly.

-Jason "I also suspect this show will be a one-season limited event, not something that has multiple seasons" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jason, I don’t think I agree about the shows not having an impact on the movie universe... that seems to be exactly what they are planning to do. It’s a very new way of looking at things that requires a lot coordination... but if anyone can do it, it’s Kevin F.

And yeah, I think Quicksilver is Mephisto... the way he asked how she did it felt very ominous, like someone wanting to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Jason, I don’t think I agree about the shows not having an impact on the movie universe... that seems to be exactly what they are planning to do. It’s a very new way of looking at things that requires a lot coordination... but if anyone can do it, it’s Kevin F.

And yeah, I think Quicksilver is Mephisto... the way he asked how she did it felt very ominous, like someone wanting to find out.
    But why would Mephisto pick the wrong Quicksilver? None of it makes much sense to me, yet.

We shall see, but recall that when they were making Wandavision, they had no idea how successful it would be or how many people would subscribe to Disney+. The launch of Disney+ has gone better than anyone had any right to expect. So, I just think it is highly unlikely that they are building major plot points for the movies (like Vision still being alive or the X-Men crossing into the MCU or Wanda having older children) into what was, at the time, a risky venture that would be seen by far far far less than the hundreds of millions worldwide who watched Endgame and Infinity War.

I could be wrong, but I think the TV shows will be fun character development but not feature any game changing developments that would cause movie viewers who had not seen the TV shows to scratch their heads. Doesn't make the TV shows any less fun though.

-Jason "from what I have seen of Falcon and Winter Soldier, it is going to fall squarely into that sweet spot of fun but not essential to the MCU" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    One thought that occurred to me is that while you can develop characters a lot in these Disney+ series, I don't think you can fundamentally change the MCU in a way that would have a big impact on the movies. So, bringing Vision back to life -- and having him play a role in upcoming films -- may be off the table. Similarly, if the entire X-men universe is going to be introduced into the MCU, I don't think they would do it in a TV show.

So, I expect Pietro to be the "bad guy" in disguise and I don't think Vision will survive this TV show. I'd bet that Wanda's children also don't survive outside the hex/anomaly.

-Jason "I also suspect this show will be a one-season limited event, not something that has multiple seasons" Evans
    I think Disney needs the MCU on Disney+ as fresh content to drive subscribers. They know how much money Marvel is making, and if they can turn that into recurring revenue, all the better. What's better, 80,000,000 people going to see a $10 movie two or three times a year, or 80,000,000 people paying $8/mo every month for the rest of their lives? The best way to do this is by bringing the shows into the MCU (and not ignoring the MCU like Agents of Shield). The fact that Disney+ in less than a year has already hit it's 2024 subscriber goal just goes to show Disney knows what they have. They want all the Marvel fan boys and girls to be Disney+ subscribers.

I don't think we'll have HUGE plot points in the show, but I can see them doing something like the introduction of new characters and villains. A bit like Spiderman in Civil War. It might be now a character like that gets their initial introduction in a show before they appear on the silver screen. There is going to be enough that will keep folks subscribed.

Let's face it, the MCU has turned into one big soap opera and people love it.

We shall see, but recall that when they were making Wandavision, they had no idea how successful it would be or how many people would subscribe to Disney+. The launch of Disney+ has gone better than anyone had any right to expect. So, I just think it is highly unlikely that they are building major plot points for the movies (like Vision still being alive or the X-Men crossing into the MCU or Wanda having older children) into what was, at the time, a risky venture that would be seen by far far far less than the hundreds of millions worldwide who watched Endgame and Infinity War.

I could be wrong, but I think the TV shows will be fun character development but not feature any game changing developments that would cause movie viewers who had not seen the TV shows to scratch their heads. Doesn't make the TV shows any less fun though.

-Jason "from what I have seen of Falcon and Winter Soldier, it is going to fall squarely into that sweet spot of fun but not essential to the MCU" Evans
    They DEFINITELY won't intro the X-Men on a TV show, and I doubt they will give Wanda older kids, but keeping Vision alive...? That's not too crazy of an idea, especially since they already knew they were going to focus on Vision post death, with the whole "his body in storage" end credits scene that got cut. I mean, it's not too big of a stretch for them to say "Hey listen, we are doing a show called Wandavision, starring Wanda and Vision, and by the end Vision will be alive again"

I DO think that they teased the Fantastic Four, btw...

They DEFINITELY won't intro the X-Men on a TV show, and I doubt they will give Wanda older kids, but keeping Vision alive...? That's not too crazy of an idea, especially since they already knew they were going to focus on Vision post death, with the whole "his body in storage" end credits scene that got cut. I mean, it's not too big of a stretch for them to say "Hey listen, we are doing a show called Wandavision, starring Wanda and Vision, and by the end Vision will be alive again"

John Krasinski/Reed Richards as the engineer they keep talking about? A rumor picking up a lot of steam

Well, I would argue they already have introduced the X-Men on a TV show, just now with Quicksilver. I guess it depends on what you mean by "introduced".

In terms of JasonEvans' suggestion that they won't do stuff like this in a TV show, I don't really agree. You don't drive up viewership of your (expensive to make) TV shows by making them unimportant to the overarching plot of the MCU. We can also look at other large fictional universes to see what they've done, the most obvious being Star Wars. In that case, quite a few important things have happened in TV shows, or even in books/comics. Consider Darth Maul and Ahsoka Tano as primary examples, but there are plenty of others as well.

Late to this party. I was slow to watch a show about the two least interesting Avengers (in my opinion), and I've built up an immunity to nostalgia. But after all the talk about how crazy it was, I gave it a go.

I have a different take on what Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies to watch in order to better understand this show. Where have I seen these characters before?

Wanda Maximoff and Vision: Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Darcy Lewis: Thor
    Jimmy Woo: Ant-Man and the Wasp (with helpful end credits scene)
    Monica Rambeau: Captain Marvel (as a 1990s child)

I think that's it. If you want to know what happened to Wanda and Vision immediately before the events of this series, then add Avengers: Infinity War. If you want to understand how the Blip gets resolved, then see Avengers: Endgame. (While it was hinted at in the end of TV's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", I don't think the S.W.O.R.D. agency has been formally introduced until now.)

Before I was spoiled by an image of Evan Peters in a TV article not specific to the show -- what is wrong with people? -- I had formed a list in my head of who the mind-blowing cameo in Episode 5 would be, using various degrees of impossibility:

"Most" Impossible

1. Christopher Reeve or Margot Kidder. DC Comics actors, deceased.
    2. Kevin Spacey. DC Comics actor, canceled.
    3. Gene Hackman. DC Comics actor, retired.

"Somewhat" Impossible

4. Chadwick Boseman. Marvel actor, deceased.
    5. Major movie stars playing characters killed in the MCU movies (I won't spoil the film newcomers on this thread)

Maybe the Right Amount of Impossible?

6. Stan Lee, despite being deceased.
    7. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, despite his character being deceased.
    8. Major movie stars playing living MCU characters, who are not expected to be on television.

Not Impossible At All

9. Anthony Mackie and/or Sebastian Stan, in advance of their own Disney+ series.
    10. Bob Saget

I had not considered that what I call "Fox Marvel" is no longer separate from "Disney Marvel". (And I'm not really sure if "Sony Marvel" is all that separate anymore, either.) Even if I had, I would have picked Deadpool as the most likely character to cross over into the MCU first.

You're all thinking the same thing right now: why Bob Saget? He's cheap, he's available, he continues the "Full House" vibe (a sitcom he did with Elizabeth Olsen's older sisters), and I really want this image to become part of the MCU:

raisingdad.jpg

The girl on the left is Kat Dennings (Darcy Lewis). The girl on the right is Brie Larson (Captain Marvel). And note the old-fashioned radio behind them.

Has anyone thought about Nightmare being the main villain? If scarlet witch is in the next Dr.Strange movie, that could be a nice springboard right into it considering Strange and Nightmare are enemies. I just don’t know how they are going to “fix” all of this. Some other superhero has to come in here...right?

Well, I would argue they already have introduced the X-Men on a TV show, just now with Quicksilver. I guess it depends on what you mean by "introduced".

In terms of JasonEvans' suggestion that they won't do stuff like this in a TV show, I don't really agree. You don't drive up viewership of your (expensive to make) TV shows by making them unimportant to the overarching plot of the MCU. We can also look at other large fictional universes to see what they've done, the most obvious being Star Wars. In that case, quite a few important things have happened in TV shows, or even in books/comics. Consider Darth Maul and Ahsoka Tano as primary examples, but there are plenty of others as well.
    I think this is a good point - it's not a coincidence that Evan Peters was the "re-casting" choice for Quicksilver. It's possible Marvel-Disney is just trolling us all, but if they were going to start introducing the X-men into the MCU, including the only(?) character to appear in both movie universes in an ironic way would be a good start. Also, if he is ultimately a faux-Quicksilver, then it's kind of a soft start - they have deniability if they decided to back off from the integration later.

I thought this was assumed from the beginning. The promo literature referred to it as a "limited series".

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    John Krasinski/Reed Richards as the engineer they keep talking about? A rumor picking up a lot of steam
    It's not clear to me how much this is fan-wish fulfilment, though an Office-themed episode would also make sense. What if Monica's "Friend" is Reed Richards, but played by David Schwimmer instead? Or how about Matthew Perry as Gold-man?

In all seriousness, it would make a certain amount of sense to set up a future TV/streaming run for the Fantastic Four rather than re-boot it as a movie franchise once again.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You're all thinking the same thing right now: why Bob Saget? He's cheap, he's available, he continues the "Full House" vibe (a sitcom he did with Elizabeth Olsen's older sisters), and I really want this image to become part of the MCU:

raisingdad.jpg

The girl on the left is Kat Dennings (Darcy Lewis). The girl on the right is Brie Larson (Captain Marvel). And note the old-fashioned radio behind them.
    Oh, please do this. Darcy is in the hex now, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I saw an out-of-left-field rumor that it might be...
    Spoiler!

This was on a post from before the series started that got a lot right about episodes 1-6, but not everything.

So—Marvel posted a promo for Episode 7 on YouTube that appears to show...
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    So—Marvel posted a promo for Episode 7 on YouTube that appears to show...
    Spoiler!
    That is not an official trailer and it sure looks fake to me.