Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Oh right. What were with the bees/bugs flying around him (or did I imagine that)?
    No, there were definitely bees there. Not sure why, but I am betting it will be revealed. There have been Marvel bad guys who were associated with bees over the years. It is also possible that Wanda's hex/spell on the area turned him into something that could work in "the story" of her TV show. A beekeeper was something that could exist in her 70s TV show. A man wearing a radiation suit would be a lot tougher to make sense in the 70s sitcom.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No, there were definitely bees there. Not sure why, but I am betting it will be revealed. There have been Marvel bad guys who were associated with bees over the years. It is also possible that Wanda's hex/spell on the area turned him into something that could work in "the story" of her TV show. A beekeeper was something that could exist in her 70s TV show. A man wearing a radiation suit would be a lot tougher to make sense in the 70s sitcom.
    I think it’s the latter. She changed him to fit in with the town.

So I did something that might have been inadvisable...

Intrigued by this premise and the show's aesthetic, my wife and I started watching over the weekend. We like it so far, but I know there are quite a few things we're missing because...
    We haven't seen basically any of the Marvel movies. Like, I know that Ultron did a bad thing and the Avengers had to fight him, but...that's effectively it as far as the depth of my MCU knowledge goes. I haven't seen any of the Avengers, Captain America, or Iron Man movies (well, I did fall asleep in the theater that one time...). We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy because people said it would be quirky and fun, but I spent the last ~75 minutes checking my watch and I remember precisely zero about the plot. I didn't catch any of WandaVison's X-Men references or the stuff about Quicksilver or whatever, but I do want to continue as long as I'm not about to be completely lost. So, do we...

a) continue on and make sense of things as we go, accepting that there will be things we miss?
    b) stop watching WandaVision and start with the MCU universe so it will make more sense?
    c) watch some selected few of the MCU films parallel-ish to the series so the context will be clearer?

Option C is my preferred one because I do want to pick up better on the subtleties, but the prospect of watching all 22 or whatever Marvel movies seems daunting and not that fun.
    I wouldn't know where to begin choosing selected films to give WandaVision clearer relevance though, so what do I do?

Honestly seeking DBR's wisdom here.

Yep, thread about this still on page 1.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    So I did something that might have been inadvisable...

Intrigued by this premise and the show's aesthetic, my wife and I started watching over the weekend. We like it so far, but I know there are quite a few things we're missing because...
    We haven't seen basically any of the Marvel movies. Like, I know that Ultron did a bad thing and the Avengers had to fight him, but...that's effectively it as far as the depth of my MCU knowledge goes. I haven't seen any of the Avengers, Captain America, or Iron Man movies (well, I did fall asleep in the theater that one time...). We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy because people said it would be quirky and fun, but I spent the last ~75 minutes checking my watch and I remember precisely zero about the plot. I didn't catch any of WandaVison's X-Men references or the stuff about Quicksilver or whatever, but I do want to continue as long as I'm not about to be completely lost. So, do we...

a) continue on and make sense of things as we go, accepting that there will be things we miss?
    b) stop watching WandaVision and start with the MCU universe so it will make more sense?
    c) watch some selected few of the MCU films parallel-ish to the series so the context will be clearer?

Option C is my preferred one because I do want to pick up better on the subtleties, but the prospect of watching all 22 or whatever Marvel movies seems daunting and not that fun.
    I wouldn't know where to begin choosing selected films to give WandaVision clearer relevance though, so what do I do?

Honestly seeking DBR's wisdom here.
    So, I am not so sure you really need to watch Marvel movies to understand what is happening on the show. But, if you want you could watch Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War to get where things are today. Well, you would also need to watch the final hour or so of Avengers: Endgame too. That seems like a lot (though we are talking about some really excellent superhero movies). And the appearance of Evan Peters as Quicksilver can only be understood by watching X-men: Days of Future Past (or X-men: Apocalypse, which is an awful film).

But, there are plenty of articles that sum up the history of the two characters in the MCU prior to this series. For example, this one: https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...arvel-history/

Read that article and then come back and ask questions if you have any. I think the basics of Wanda/Vis backstory are what you largely need. That said, unless you watch the movies there are going to be references that you will miss. The interstitial commercials have been layered with stuff from the movies in a pretty big way. No amount of reading articles is going to help you to understand why commercials for products called Lagos or Strucker are significant to Wanda's psyche. For that, you need the movies.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, I am not so sure you really need to watch Marvel movies to understand what is happening on the show. But, if you want you could watch Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War to get where things are today. Well, you would also need to watch the final hour or so of Avengers: Endgame too. That seems like a lot (though we are talking about some really excellent superhero movies). And the appearance of Evan Peters as Quicksilver can only be understood by watching X-men: Days of Future Past (or X-men: Apocalypse, which is an awful film).

But, there are plenty of articles that sum up the history of the two characters in the MCU prior to this series. For example, this one: https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...arvel-history/

Read that article and then come back and ask questions if you have any. I think the basics of Wanda/Vis backstory are what you largely need. That said, unless you watch the movies there are going to be references that you will miss. The interstitial commercials have been layered with stuff from the movies in a pretty big way. No amount of reading articles is going to help you to understand why commercials for products called Lagos or Strucker are significant to Wanda's psyche. For that, you need the movies.
    Great insights, Jason (no surprise).
    Follow-up q's:

-Is Civil War the first Captain America movie? Is it worthwhile to watch Winter Soldier or whatever it was in addition to Civil War? Are there other Captain America movies I should see?
    -What's the Avengers arc? I know that Thor and Captain America and Iron Man and all them are Avengers, but is there a core of like 3 movies I could watch to more or less get the start-to-finish story?
    -What about Captain Marvel? She got a mention in Episode 5. Do I need to watch that?

I'm of two minds with regard to the MCU. On the one hand, I think it's super cool that the whole ecosystem is so interconnected, but on the other hand, it seems to make it impossible to dabble or get, like, the Cliffs Notes version. Again, I'd like greater context for WV, but I am not interested in watching all 22 MCU movies.
    If I were to commit to, say, 5 or 6 MCU movies with an eye toward better understanding WV, they should be...

• Age of Ultron
    • Captain 'Murka: Civil War
    • Infinity War
    • Endgame(?)
    Any others?
    Thanks again for the insights...once one has gone this far without being fully Marvel-immersed, it's nigh on impossible to figure out how/where to start, and I think that's a mistake by Disney. Makes it too intimidating for new people to join the club, so to speak, so I keep on just not watching any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great insights, Jason (no surprise).
    Follow-up q's:

-Is Civil War the first Captain America movie? Is it worthwhile to watch Winter Soldier or whatever it was in addition to Civil War? Are there other Captain America movies I should see?
    -What's the Avengers arc? I know that Thor and Captain America and Iron Man and all them are Avengers, but is there a core of like 3 movies I could watch to more or less get the start-to-finish story?
    -What about Captain Marvel? She got a mention in Episode 5. Do I need to watch that?

I'm of two minds with regard to the MCU. On the one hand, I think it's super cool that the whole ecosystem is so interconnected, but on the other hand, it seems to make it impossible to dabble or get, like, the Cliffs Notes version. Again, I'd like greater context for WV, but I am not interested in watching all 22 MCU movies.
    If I were to commit to, say, 5 or 6 MCU movies with an eye toward better understanding WV, they should be...

• Age of Ultron
    • Captain 'Murka: Civil War
    • Infinity War
    • Endgame(?)
    Any others?
    Thanks again for the insights...once one has gone this far without being fully Marvel-immersed, it's nigh on impossible to figure out how/where to start, and I think that's a mistake by Disney. Makes it too intimidating for new people to join the club, so to speak, so I keep on just not watching any of it.
    Age of Ultron isn’t the greatest but will provide you with good information. It’s a bottom tier marvel movie for me and I’d recommend just reading about it on Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Age of Ultron isn’t the greatest but will provide you with good information. It’s a bottom tier marvel movie for me and I’d recommend just reading about it on Wikipedia.
    I disagree, if your goal is to understand Wanda, because Age of Ultron is arguably where she has her most prominent role. I agree it isn't one of the best Marvel movies, but I didn't think it was that​ bad. In the context of trying to understand WandaVision Captain America: Civil War is probably more skippable.

I disagree, if your goal is to understand Wanda, because Age of Ultron is arguably where she has her most prominent role. I agree it isn't one of the best Marvel movies, but I didn't think it was that​ bad. In the context of trying to understand WandaVision Captain America: Civil War is probably more skippable.
    Yeah, that’s why I said it will give good information. It’s just not great and if you limit yourself to a handful of movies, I’d rather spend my time getting some backstory from Wikipedia and watching other movies that don’t provide as much but are way better quality. Just me though.

Wilson,

I have to tell you, while 22 movies may seem truly daunting, I am of the believe that the MCU is the finest action/adventure franchise in cinematic history and it ain't really close. Other than maybe 2 or 3 mediocre films, the movies are just brilliant -- easy to watch with great mix of humor and action with truly wonderful stories.

So, with that in mind and given your desire for connections to the WV series that has piqued your interest, here is my recommendation for which ones to watch (both in terms of quality and in terms of importance for the WV storyline). I put the ones you really should not miss in green.

Iron Man - this got it all started and is still one of the best of the bunch. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 2 in terms of WV connection
    Incredible Hulk - skip it
    Iron Man 2 - skip it
    Thor - the MCU starts to grow. 6 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Captain America: First Avenger - takes place in the 1940s and does a nice job of setting up a lot of what is to come. 8 in terms of "worth watching", 5 in terms of WV connection
    Marvel's The Avengers - the main heroes come together for the first time. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 5 in terms of WV connection
    Iron Man 3 - skip it
    Thor: The Dark World - skip it, but be aware that some of the stuff in this film impacts Avengers: Endgame
    Captain America: Winter Soldier - 9 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Lots of folks love this film and it really introduces us to the central villain of all future films. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 4 in terms of WV connection
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - The worst of the "Avengers" movies, but still pretty good. Wanda and Vision make their first appearances in this movie. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 8 in terms of WV connection
    Ant-Man - skip it, though it is a pretty cute film. 8 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    Captain America: Civil War - If you just don't think too much about the bad guy's plan, you will adore this film. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 8 in terms of WV connection
    Doctor Strange - skip it, thought it is a fairly good film. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - skip it
    Spiderman: Homecoming - probably skip it, but a really fun movie. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 2 in terms of WV connection
    Thor: Ragnarok - another wonderful film that you could skip. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    Black Panther - you can skip if you want but at this point, Marvel is churning out ridiculously good action movies that actually have real storytelling depth. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Avengers: Infinity War - Like I said, Marvel is on a heater that only Pixar approaches. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 9 in terms of WV connection
    Ant Man and the Wasp - skip it, though watch the final scene after you watch Infinity War. It is on YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBh2i6RLpQ
    Captain Marvel - skip it... though you can read about the connection between the SWORD agent on WV and this film
    Avengers: Endgame - I mean, once you watch Infinity War, you sorta have to watch this film. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 4 in terms of WV connection
    Spiderman: Far From Home - delightful film that has no connection to WV other than explaining "the blip" which happens in the first few minutes of the movie. You can watch that here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUYO4swfEw 7 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection

Others may disagree with my assessment, but... well, I'm trying to make this manageable for you. I whittled it down to 9 films and a couple YouTube clips. That's doable.

-Jason "and once you watch these 9, even though it has no impact on WV, do yourself a favor and watch Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther because they are fabulous" Evans

Doctor Strange - skip it, thought it is a fairly good film. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    So far...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So far...
    Yeah, but I think much of what you need to know about the Doc will be shown in Infinity War and Endgame.

Frankly, anyone who watches the first 4 or 5 films on the list, by the time they get to Winter Soldier they will probably be hooked and want to watch everything.

Wilson,

I have to tell you, while 22 movies may seem truly daunting, I am of the believe that the MCU is the finest action/adventure franchise in cinematic history and it ain't really close. Other than maybe 2 or 3 mediocre films, the movies are just brilliant -- easy to watch with great mix of humor and action with truly wonderful stories.

So, with that in mind and given your desire for connections to the WV series that has piqued your interest, here is my recommendation for which ones to watch (both in terms of quality and in terms of importance for the WV storyline). I put the ones you really should not miss in green.

Iron Man - this got it all started and is still one of the best of the bunch. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 2 in terms of WV connection
    Incredible Hulk - skip it
    Iron Man 2 - skip it
    Thor - the MCU starts to grow. 6 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Captain America: First Avenger - takes place in the 1940s and does a nice job of setting up a lot of what is to come. 8 in terms of "worth watching", 5 in terms of WV connection
    Marvel's The Avengers - the main heroes come together for the first time. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 5 in terms of WV connection
    Iron Man 3 - skip it
    Thor: The Dark World - skip it, but be aware that some of the stuff in this film impacts Avengers: Endgame
    Captain America: Winter Soldier - 9 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Lots of folks love this film and it really introduces us to the central villain of all future films. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 4 in terms of WV connection
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - The worst of the "Avengers" movies, but still pretty good. Wanda and Vision make their first appearances in this movie. 7 in terms of "worth watching", 8 in terms of WV connection
    Ant-Man - skip it, though it is a pretty cute film. 8 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    Captain America: Civil War - If you just don't think too much about the bad guy's plan, you will adore this film. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 8 in terms of WV connection
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - skip it
    Spiderman: Homecoming - probably skip it, but a really fun movie. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 2 in terms of WV connection
    Thor: Ragnarok - another wonderful film that you could skip. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection
    Black Panther - you can skip if you want but at this point, Marvel is churning out ridiculously good action movies that actually have real storytelling depth. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 3 in terms of WV connection
    Avengers: Infinity War - Like I said, Marvel is on a heater that only Pixar approaches. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 9 in terms of WV connection
    Ant Man and the Wasp - skip it, though watch the final scene after you watch Infinity War. It is on YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBh2i6RLpQ
    Captain Marvel - skip it... though you can read about the connection between the SWORD agent on WV and this film
    Avengers: Endgame - I mean, once you watch Infinity War, you sorta have to watch this film. 9 in terms of "worth watching", 4 in terms of WV connection
    Spiderman: Far From Home - delightful film that has no connection to WV other than explaining "the blip" which happens in the first few minutes of the movie. You can watch that here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUYO4swfEw 7 in terms of "worth watching", 1 in terms of WV connection

Others may disagree with my assessment, but... well, I'm trying to make this manageable for you. I whittled it down to 9 films and a couple YouTube clips. That's doable.

-Jason "and once you watch these 9, even though it has no impact on WV, do yourself a favor and watch Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther because they are fabulous" Evans
    This is a good writeup, but you probably should have clarified that the numbers you were giving were rankings on a 1-10 scale. I was really scratching my head trying to figure out how Iron Man 1 was the #2 most connected to WandaVision film in the MCU, it took me until the end of the list to realize what you were doing. Maybe it was more obvious to everyone else.

Although it is a great writeup, hard disagree on Guardians 2. The two Guardians movies are among the best movies in the franchise.

Also, Dr. Strange is a 1 in terms of WandaVision connection now, but is likely to be somewhere close to a 10 by the time the series is over.

Wilson originally mentioned 5 or 6 movies. Going strictly for "informs you of what is going on in WandaVision" his initial list of 4 was a good start. I would add Dr. Strange as the 5th, recommend watching it in this order, and call it a day.

Age of Ultron
    Dr Strange
    Captain 'Murka: Civil War
    Infinity War
    Endgame

Edit: I see Wander beat me to it on the Dr Strange thing

Yeah, but I think much of what you need to know about the Doc will be shown in Infinity War and Endgame.

Frankly, anyone who watches the first 4 or 5 films on the list, by the time they get to Winter Soldier they will probably be hooked and want to watch everything.
    I think the problem with that approach is that it takes a lot of time to watch that many movies. If you want to catch up as quickly as possible so that you can follow along with WandaVision you have to pare it down to a small batch of movies that are the most relevant.

I think the problem with that approach is that it takes a lot of time to watch that many movies. If you want to catch up as quickly as possible so that you can follow along with WandaVision you have to pare it down to a small batch of movies that are the most relevant.
    True. It took my family the better part of eight months of pandemic time to get through the Marvel films, albeit at a fairly slow pace.

At the same time, if you have Disney+, you will so get your money's worth if you binge-watch the Marvel movies. They are (for the most part) incredibly well-done. My daughter and wife were skeptical when we first started watching, but came to love the entire series. And now that my wife gets how the Marvel universe works and fits together, she is super-hooked on WV.

WV will still be there if you want to watch the other Marvel movies first.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    True. It took my family the better part of eight months of pandemic time to get through the Marvel films, albeit at a fairly slow pace.

At the same time, if you have Disney+, you will so get your money's worth if you binge-watch the Marvel movies. They are (for the most part) incredibly well-done. My daughter and wife were skeptical when we first started watching, but came to love the entire series. And now that my wife gets how the Marvel universe works and fits together, she is super-hooked on WV.

WV will still be there if you want to watch the other Marvel movies first.
    But you miss out on the chatter discussing the events of each episode as they come out, which is (to me) a great deal of fun. Also it is going to be really hard to stay unspoiled about WandaVision, if you care about that kind of thing.

To your point about Disney+, I think the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle is the best streaming deal available right now and it isn't even close. If I had kids it would be totally untouchable with all the standard Disney/Pixar stuff available.

Yet again, I’m reminded of why I love this board.
    I really, sincerely appreciate all of this input, largely from posters I can’t spork at the moment.
    I will get to work on these recs ASAP and report back with thoughts.
    Seriously, thanks y’all.

...I think the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle is the best streaming deal available right now and it isn't even close. If I had kids it would be totally untouchable with all the standard Disney/Pixar stuff available.
    I agree here, even without the Marvel stuff (though I may be working on cultivating an addiction as we speak ). As a lot of y’all know, I’m a huge animation fan, so I watch a LOT of that content on Disney+, and with The Muppet Show dropping next week, I’m honestly considering canceling some of my other stuff.

One other note: the MCU did a really good job of making each move stand up on it's own merits despite the way they are all interconnected. Watching them out of order you'll miss some of the callbacks at first, but all that means is you get a sort of "reverse callback" effect if you go back and watch some of the older ones where you'll go "ooh, that's why Tony said [something] in Civil War!" and such. So there is nothing wrong with watching some of the newer stuff first, and then watching the older stuff later if you end up getting hooked to fill in the backstories. The only exception is that ideally you would watch Infinity War before Endgame (well, I suppose the really ideal situation would be to also watch Civil War before Infinity War) but even that is a little bit optional.

So I'm somebody for whom time travel is a deal-breaker. In the MCU, I still enjoyed Ant Man and Wasp, but with the very end of Infinity War and it's inevitable sequel in Endgame, the entire MCU jumped the shark for me. The talk of the multiverse and time discontinuity in WandaVision scares me. On the other hand, "The Blip" in Spiderman FFH fit into the first few minutes and was largely ignorable in terms of the basic plot of the film, which I though was otherwise pretty good.

Based on that background, should I skip the WV series, or does the time travel/multiverse aspect play a non-ignorable role?