Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I may have misinterpreted something. I thought that Agatha created Fake Pietro and inserted him into Westview (WestView?). Wanda accepts Pietro because she is unable to detect the presence of outsiders, only suspecting Monica when she mentions Sokovia, and not suspecting Agatha at all.

From what I remember, Agatha talks out loud about the origin of Pietro, saying that necromancy was an unlikely option, and I thought it was typical villain exposition. Given your question, she may have been openly wondering how Wanda created him. I don't know.
    My understanding was that Agnes/Agatha was saying that necromancy was not an option, so she resorted to "crystalline possession" so Fietro could be her "eyes and ears". Not 100% sure what that means, but it seems like she (Agatha) possessed Fietro and brought him into the Hex. That does potentially leave open the question of who he is, though - random dude, Quicksilver from elsewhere in the multiverse, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I agree with JE. I do think the episode was well done and I also like that it has Wanda seemingly as the "bad guy" rather than Agnes having tricked her into creating the hex... but I don't think it really advanced things enough. So much to deal with in the last 40 minutes... are Wanda, Vision, White Vision, the two kids, Agnes, the human "bad guy" (who doesn't really seem that bad right now), Monica, and Pietro all going to have a satisfying conclusion? Plus a surprise other MCU character appearance? (I have no spoilers, I just assume they'll do something)
    Agreed - seems difficult to wrap up in one more episode. I can imagine some possible scenes from it - a Vision v. Vision fight, Wanda faced with the decision to kill Vision again (either one of them), but getting to satisfying resolutions for all the characters seems hard, even if part of it is just setup for the next movies.

BTW, is no one going to mention Vision's "But what is grief..." line from the flashbacks? I mean, yes, cheesy and Hallmark-y, but after the year we've all had, it surely hit the mark pretty well.

The grief line was great.

Hoping for a really Strange last episode!

I won’t say anything about the finale since it just came out but be aware there are two credits scenes after the episode (one in the middle of the credits and one at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I won’t say anything about the finale since it just came out but be aware there are two credits scenes after the episode (one in the middle of the credits and one at the end).
    So do we need a spoiler thread for the spoiler thread?

I loved it. Some will be upset based on what is in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    So do we need a spoiler thread for the spoiler thread?

I loved it. Some will be upset based on what is in this thread.
    I think using spoiler tags at least the day of release (i.e. today) is probably a nice move. I definitely clicked into this thread just now without thinking that some people would have already watched the episode and started posting about it.

Edit: Also, I cannot wait to get home and watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think using spoiler tags at least the day of release (i.e. today) is probably a nice move. I definitely clicked into this thread just now without thinking that some people would have already watched the episode and started posting about it.

I think the ideal would be to use spoiler text for the entire weekend... by Monday, I think you can probably post freely. Until then, use spoiler text or speak in very, very vague terms.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the ideal would be to use spoiler text for the entire weekend... by Monday, I think you can probably post freely. Until then, use spoiler text or speak in very, very vague terms.
    Is this possible with the mobile theme?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Is this possible with the mobile theme?
    Yes, just wrap spoiler tags around the text you want to hide like so (but without the spaces at the beginning of the spoiler tag):

Code:
    [ spoiler]The stuff you want to hide[ /spoiler]
    to get

Spoiler!

Works fine on mobile, or at least it has for me in the past.

Yes, just wrap spoiler tags around the text you want to hide like so (but without the spaces at the beginning of the spoiler tag):

Code:
    [ spoiler]The stuff you want to hide[ /spoiler]
    to get

Spoiler!

Works fine on mobile, or at least it has for me in the past.
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for.

Ha. I got up early, walked the dog and then drank a cup of coffee while watching it.

So the question everyone wants to know...season 2? Yes or no?

Spoiler!
    Dude!?!?!?! Next you are going to tell me that Soylent Green is people.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Spoiler!

Just watched Episode 9, "The Series Finale", and have some thoughts, non-spoiler and spoiler.

• I thought the special effects were kinda bad, like when a CW show runs out of money.
    • Not that I wanted it longer, but if it wanted to address some open threads, it could have been longer.
    • I liked the first 7 episodes because I enjoyed the concept. The last 2 episodes more or less abandoned the concept (which it had to do), and rested on the strength of Scarlet Witch's character. I enjoyed them less.

Spoiler!

By the way, this was posted earlier this week:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Just watched Episode 9, "The Series Finale", and have some thoughts, non-spoiler and spoiler.

• I thought the special effects were kinda bad, like when a CW show runs out of money.
    • Not that I wanted it longer, but if it wanted to address some open threads, it could have been longer.
    • I liked the first 7 episodes because I enjoyed the concept. The last 2 episodes more or less abandoned the concept (which it had to do), and rested on the strength of Scarlet Witch's character. I enjoyed them less
    • There were a number of disappointments. Dottie wasn't important. Ralph wasn't important. (I would have preferred it if Ralph were the bunny.)
    • I agree with Wander -- after the build-up, making Evan Peters some manipulated dude named Ralph felt like trolling.
    • They're keeping this open-ended with Agatha's warning of what else might be out there, but there's no firm sense of a continued story. Maybe the next Doctor Strange movie deals with this, maybe not.
    • In the mid-credits bonus scene, I assume the "he" the FBI agent/alien mentions is Talos from Captain Marvel, but I guess it could be Nick Fury.
    • The post-credits scene made no sense. Has Wanda astral projected herself apart from the Scarlet Witch? Which one is in charge? And should I care?
    So, I actually really enjoyed the last episode. I saw a pretty good case somewhere else online that for shows like this fans are almost always going to end up "disappointed", because all the wild speculation about what everything could be leads to unreasonable expectations about how important any given thing in the show is going to be. I'm also not sure saying "Ralph wasn't important" is even true. Do you think this is the last time we see him in the MCU? My guess is certainly not.

In the post-credits scene with Wanda, I believe she's doing something similar to the Hex where she's projecting some illusion that she's just hanging out in the middle of nowhere drinking coffee while she's actually busy studying the Darkhold (because SWORD and other agencies and maybe the Avengers are all going to be trying to spy on her now and she doesn't want them to know she's getting deep into super dark magic). So an illusion to throw off any onlookers, not an astral projection. Should we care? Probably. Seems pretty likely that she's going to end up intentionally or accidentally releasing some horrible evil that threatens the world/universe. The plot of the next Dr. Strange movie is almost definitely going to be premised on some effects of Wanda's ascension as the Scarlet Witch (although that doesn't necessarily mean she will be the antagonist or even a primary character). Also, don't necessarily expect Wanda's Scarlet Witch arc to "end" in the Dr. Strange movie. My guess is that her story is going to be part of the overall storyline of this next phase like Thanos/the Infinity Stones were last phase.

As to which one is in control (Wanda or the Scarlet Witch), I don't think the Scarlet Witch is a separate consciousness like Dark Phoenix in X-Men, I think it is more a question of her latent powers "awakening" (because now she understands what they are and has a resource to study it further), but she's still the same Wanda.

My understanding is that some content had to be cut due to time constraints (particularly some content related to Monica and the "good" FBI agent who's name I forget). I wish they had just made it a 10-12 episode show and kept a little more in it.

Anyways, a few thoughts on my reaction:

1) Before this series I was pretty indifferent about Wanda. I now love her character, I thought Elizabeth Olsen* knocked this out of the park. Enough so that I'm tempted to see if there are any non-MCU roles she's played that I would want to watch.

2) I do wish they had handled the transition from "Wanda doesn't know what's going on" to "Wanda knows what's going on" a little better. I was left a little unsure when things "clicked" for her (whether it happened during the final episode or whether it happened much earlier and she was just playing dumb so that Agatha would let down her guard). I'm pretty sure it was the former, but not completely sure because some of her prior actions (like leaving the Hex to threaten the SWORD guys) suggest that she knew more than she was letting on, but that would require her to have been faking the "I don't know/remember" stuff that caused Agatha to take her on the trip down memory lane and I don't think she was faking that.

3) Although I really enjoyed the last two episodes, I did not like all the necrotic hands and fingers. Made me super uncomfortable for some reason...I wish it had gotten less screen time. (I'm not squeemish or averse to gore or anything, but something about it made me uncomfortable in a similar way to seeing doctors poke needles in someone's eye in a medical show like House or whatever)

*Am I the only one who had absolutely no idea that she was the younger sister to the Olsen twins until like half way though this series?

I thought Elizabeth Olsen* knocked this out of the park. Enough so that I'm tempted to see if there are any non-MCU roles she's played that I would want to watch.
    She has done a few films outside the MCU that are worth watching. The most notable of them is her first film Martha Marcy May Malene. That movie which will bake your noodle and is one of the better psychological thrillers of the past decade. She's great in it. Here is a trailer:

She is a strong actress who is worth watching in anything but the other two roles that are particularly good, IMO, are Ingrid Goes West (Aubrey Plaza is the lead there, but Olsen has a meaty supporting role) and Liberal Arts (written, directed and starring Josh Radnor). She also drew praise for her work in Wind River (alongside Jeremy Renner), but I never saw that movie.

She may have initially been known as Mary Kate and Ashley's little sister, but she is clearly her own woman at this point. I think she's not far from folks like Saoirse Ronan, Jennifer Lawrence, Carrie Mulligan, and Margot Robbie as the best actresses who are under like 35 or so right now.

As was mentioned, there is DEFINITELY further story out there... I mean, at the end she was projecting her astral self reading the Darkhold while the Dr. Strange music played in a minor key... and she heard her kids screaming for help. I think thats a pretty big hint Plus, its already been sort of confirmed that the next Dr Strange movie will focus on Wanda.

And the person the skrull was talking about is most likely Fury. I don't think Talos would care about Photon, and he probably wouldn't use the term grounded, and I'm not sure he would be an old friend of her mother?

I found the ending slightly disappointing... it REALLY needed a Dr Strange moment. Glad that Agatha is able to be brought back... they better do so. And glad that Vision is back... curious to see how that develops.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have to tell you, while 22 movies may seem truly daunting, I am of the believe that the MCU is the finest action/adventure franchise in cinematic history and it ain't really close. Other than maybe 2 or 3 mediocre films, the movies are just brilliant -- easy to watch with great mix of humor and action with truly wonderful stories.
    I'm way late to this party because I didn't want to watch the show until I had finished watching all of the MCU to date. Beyond Iron Man 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy, I hadn't seen much of them. So a couple months ago I started diving in, hoping to watch one a night. Somewhere in the middle of that binge I got busy with other things, but picked it back up a couple weeks ago. Having Disney + makes it so much easier. (Had to pirate Spiderman Homecoming, and watched the 2nd one on Starz.)

With that truly daunting, yet enjoyable, task out of the way, I finally watched Wandavision. I think having seen all of the previous movies helped a lot; I don't like wondering why characters show up and who they are if they are referenced from other sources. In an odd way, I wasn't a fan of the first two sitcom episodes at all. They annoyed the hell out of me. In the grand scheme, they were obviously necessary, and I appreciate how well they did the feel of those eras, but still...fingernails on a chalkboard. If I didn't know that they were leading into something bigger, and soon, there's a good chance I would have stopped there.

Thankfully, they moved on from that format and brought the "real world" into play. Once they did that, I couldn't stop watching. Literally. I stayed up til 3:30 am last night watching up until episode 9, saving the finale for when I was actually awake. It's cool now reading through this thread and seeing some of y'all pick Agnes out as the baddie early on. I didn't see that coming.

Last thought, some of y'all said you weren't happy seeing Vision come back. I was never a big Marvel reader (DC guy), but in the comics the white Vision was a story line. He and Wanda anulled their marriage upon his return because that version of him was void of emotion. Think Data from Star Trek. From reading back stories, lots of what was in Wandavision came from the comics, including her two kids. (They were also wiped out from existence in the comics as well.)

I'm totally looking forward to Falcon & The Winter Soldier now, but there's a good chance I don't start watching until the season ends. I love being able to stupidly watch shows back to back 'til 3:30 am, even though I have clients to see early the next morning. Ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oh yeah, here's my one big question.

So Wanda punishes Agatha by setting her back as Agnes, telling her that she'll be stuck as the nosy neighbor in Westview.

And then she walks off with Vision and the kids as Westview collapses. Reality returns, the town is as it was, the people are released, and Vision and kiddos become nothing but memories.

So how is Agatha still there as Agnes, then? We saw her sitting in the grass, which assumingly she is still doing once the Hex collapses. All of the other folks are still milling around in a daze, so she'd still be in her spot as well, right?

PS...just learned this cool tidbit about Kathryn Hahn, who played Agnes.
    She voiced Doctor Octopus in the critically acclaimed animated superhero film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Hahn

That's neat!
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-20-2021 at 12:47 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I know much less of the lore than most of you but this feels a bit like the Sylar character in Heroes. He accumulated too much power; the Scarlett Witch feels the same way.