Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You want a name to look out for... Wes Miller at UNC-G. He's been very successful lately (avg. 25+ wins over the past 4 seasons) and should be in line for a promotion to a bigger program (there was talk he would get the Wake job last summer). He is just 38 and already has 176 career victories. If he can find his way to a bigger program and get to 27 or so wins per season, he'd hit 1000 career wins in his late 60s.

Yeah, that is a lot to expect from a guy currently at UNC-G, but he's one of the very few folks in the game who has an even mildly realistic shot at K right now (but it probably won't happen in my lifetime -- I'm 54).
    Wes may end up being old Roy's successor. I thought he was a lock for the Wake opening.

GoDuke!

You want a name to look out for... Wes Miller at UNC-G. He's been very successful lately (avg. 25+ wins over the past 4 seasons) and should be in line for a promotion to a bigger program (there was talk he would get the Wake job last summer). He is just 38 and already has 176 career victories. If he can find his way to a bigger program and get to 27 or so wins per season, he'd hit 1000 career wins in his late 60s.

Yeah, that is a lot to expect from a guy currently at UNC-G, but he's one of the very few folks in the game who has an even mildly realistic shot at K right now (but it probably won't happen in my lifetime -- I'm 54).
    Yeah, Wes Miller is the type of candidate who would have a chance. Archie Miller might have as well, although he's hit tough times at Indiana recently. Just 42, he has 203 career wins. So he's ahead of where Bennett was. However, he hasn't had the type of success at a major D-1 that Bennett has had. Similarly, Josh Pastner has 240 wins at age 43, but hasn't made it stick yet at Ga Tech.

Those are the types of guys who could potentially do it (though it looks less and less likely for Pastner and Archie given their plateaus at the major college level). But it's a pretty narrow needle to thread for sure.

I was thinking that maybe a coach at a smaller school in a weak conference could rack up wins, like Jim Phelan at Mt St Mary’s. Plus they’d have a better chance at being able to start really young. It would take someone who was committed to staying at that smaller school since they would undoubtedly be offered a high major job where wins would be harder to come by.

One advantage that current coaches have is that we play more games per season now than in K’s early days. Averaging 30 wins is still an astounding feat, but would be pretty much impossible in the 80’s and 90’s for sustained periods.

Had Boeheim not lost those hundred or so wins due to infractions, he might actually have been the most likely to ever surpass K if he could simply outlast him. But that’s off the table now.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Had Boeheim not lost those hundred or so wins due to infractions, he might actually have been the most likely to ever surpass K if he could simply outlast him. But that’s off the table now.
    The NCAA took away 79 wins from Jimmy B. If you add those back in, I believe he is at 1053. That's a good 4 seasons behind K. Jimmy B is 76... how much longer do we think he has?

-Jason "it has been 7 seasons since Syracuse finished higher than 6th in the ACC... he probably needs to be gently nudged to the door pretty soon (when Buddy graduates?)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Wes may end up being old Roy's successor. I thought he was a lock for the Wake opening.

GoDuke!
    Wes at UNCheat by April if we sweep Roy this season?

The NCAA took away 79 wins from Jimmy B. If you add those back in, I believe he is at 1053. That's a good 4 seasons behind K. Jimmy B is 76... how much longer do we think he has?

-Jason "it has been 7 seasons since Syracuse finished higher than 6th in the ACC... he probably needs to be gently nudged to the door pretty soon (when Buddy graduates?)" Evans
    K is so competitive he won't retire until B does. Here's to good health for both, and a long run still from B!

-jk

SoCon coaches - Mike Young from Wofford, now at VT and doing very well very fast and now Forbes at Wake... can be very succesful

Tony has 289 wins as a head coach thus far in his career. In his past 7 years at UVA, he has averaged 28.7 wins per season. Given the way his recruiting has progressed and the overall success of his program, I think 28-29 wins per season moving forward is not at all of an unrealistic figure.

So, if he coaches 20 more years -- to the age of 72 (Coach K is currently 73, turns 74 in 8 days) -- and continues winning 28.7 games per year, Tony would be at 863 career wins. Coach K is currently at 1,091.

At his current pace of 28.7 wins per season, Tony would have to coach to the age of 80 to catch Coach K... and that is assuming K retires at the end of this season (not at all likely).

-Jason "I post all this to put K's success in perspective... Tony is young and super successful and yet he has almost no chance of catching K" Evans
    Except in possible NCAA championships.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Except in possible NCAA championships.
    Sure, anything's possible, but the odds are still heavily against. In college basketball history, only the John Wooden / Sam Gilbert partnership has won more championships than Coach K.

VT player steps out of bounds (refs missed it) and hits a 3 to take the game to OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Sure, anything's possible, but the odds are still heavily against. In college basketball history, only the John Wooden / Sam Gilbert partnership has won more championships than Coach K.
    Yes- the format make it less likely- but I am wondering what will happen over the next decade with a transitioning ACC. I really thought Roy would get 5- he was teed up. Not sure if he will now.

Yes- the format make it less likely- but I am wondering what will happen over the next decade with a transitioning ACC. I really thought Roy would get 5- he was teed up. Not sure if he will now.
    I'm not sure if the "transitioning ACC" will have much effect or correlation. Even with Coach K and Roy around, UVA has won ACC titles and gotten high seeds repeatedly. They don't need the ACC to weaken to win national titles.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    VT player steps out of bounds (refs missed it) and hits a 3 to take the game to OT.
    The fact that that game went to OT means either we should feel better about ourselves for losing to Miami, or VT’s win over UVA was really fluky. The latter would be supported by VT also losing to Pitt (who were coming off a 30+ point loss to ND).

The fact that that game went to OT means either we should feel better about ourselves for losing to Miami, or VT’s win over UVA was really fluky. The latter would be supported by VT also losing to Pitt (who were coming off a 30+ point loss to ND).
    I suspect this does not make anyone feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm not sure if the "transitioning ACC" will have much effect or correlation. Even with Coach K and Roy around, UVA has won ACC titles and gotten high seeds repeatedly. They don't need the ACC to weaken to win national titles.
    But will they attract more upper level talent with less competition in the coaching ranks. That is what is unclear

But will they attract more upper level talent with less competition in the coaching ranks. That is what is unclear
    I'm not sure they'll change. If you look at their freshman class (recruited and signed after winning the national championship), they're going to keep going after underrated 3-stars and 4-stars that fit UVA and develop them.

Clemson smacks Syracuse by almost 20 points. Since we mollywhopped the Tigers they have back to back double-digit wins against fellow upper/middle tier ACC teams UNC and Syracuse. Clemson is now 12-5 and 6-5 in the ACC. The toughest game left on the schedule for Clemson is either at ND, at Pitt, or home to Ga Tech. Given their schedule, it is pretty hard to see them going any worse than 4-2 in their final ACC games.

16-7, 10-7 heading into the ACC tourney would almost certainly put Clemson the the Big Dance. Hard to see how they miss the NCAAs unless they start losing games they really should win. I'd make Clemson the 4th most likely ACC team to make the dance right now, after Virginia, FSU, and Va Tech.

-Jason "I think Clemson is in better shape than Louisville right now because the Cards have a brutal closing schedule" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Clemson smacks Syracuse by almost 20 points. Since we mollywhopped the Tigers they have back to back double-digit wins against fellow upper/middle tier ACC teams UNC and Syracuse. Clemson is now 12-5 and 6-5 in the ACC. The toughest game left on the schedule for Clemson is either at ND, at Pitt, or home to Ga Tech. Given their schedule, it is pretty hard to see them going any worse than 4-2 in their final ACC games.

16-7, 10-7 heading into the ACC tourney would almost certainly put Clemson the the Big Dance. Hard to see how they miss the NCAAs unless they start losing games they really should win. I'd make Clemson the 4th most likely ACC team to make the dance right now, after Virginia, FSU, and Va Tech.

-Jason "I think Clemson is in better shape than Louisville right now because the Cards have a brutal closing schedule" Evans
    Oh they can go 3-3 going forward. They are the most wonky team w home vs road. They look lost on road and world- beaters at home. Look at their scores. They lose to us and everyone by 20 on road. The question is have 5gey regained mojo w a few wins and can they carry that to road. It seems to be a mental thing
    Last edited by gofurman; 02-06-2021 at 04:54 PM.

This is what I meant prior to Miami. They really are scary at home. The great Clemson - first ten games - won by one. Unc won by 2. VT needs OT. They beat Louisville.

Tony Bennett and UVa extend their absolute dominance and legacy on the ACC today beating Pitt 73-66. UVa is now 13-3, 9-1. They just thrash the ACC these days.

Tony Bennett these days reminds me of a young late 80s and early 90s Coach K. Just a star in the making and absolutely eating the ACC for dinner nightly.