Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Wouldn’t miss it!

Currently showing Graham Barton (6’6” 315) working at left tackle. LT has been an issue for a while.
    Right with you guys. I’m recording it so I can watch most of it later because we’re going out soon. Looking forward to seeing the scrimmage at the end!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wouldn’t miss it!

Currently showing Graham Barton (6’6” 315) working at left tackle. LT has been an issue for a while.
    Just turned it on, are we winning?😀

Gunner made a perfect long throw for TD, but under no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Right with you guys. I’m recording it so I can watch most of it later because we’re going out soon. Looking forward to seeing the scrimmage at the end!
    Excellent Ozzie, we desperately need your optimism.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Just turned it on, are we winning?😀

Gunner made a perfect long throw for TD, but under no pressure.
    Great pass-blocking.

Lousy pass rush.

The beauty of intrasquad.

Scrimmage has started. Holmberg to Calhoun for a TD. Where’s the D? 😎
    Bob Green

Offense is in regular season form, 3rd and 10, complete pass to TE for a 3-yard gain.
    Bob Green

Offense is in regular season form, 3rd and 10, complete pass to TE for a 3-yard gain.
    Just taking what the defense is giving me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oh goodie. Nothing like dusting off the 15 year old playbook, year after year after year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Jordan Waters with a 51 yard TD run. J’Marick Woods missed the tackle in the backfield.
    Bob Green

there's a man who knows his Duke football strategy. Meanwhile, I have to say that Woods was a major disappointment last year, didn't show the tackling ability I had expected...

Wouldn’t miss it!

Nice 50-yard TD run by Jordan Waters.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Fumbles and penalties inside the 5.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

One play that I took notice of was a nice punt return by freshman Safety Brandon Johnson (#30). Special teams are critical to success so having a youngster display punt return ability is a big positive.
    Bob Green

I thought the coverage by the ACC Network was excellent.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Jim Sumner on the Spring Showcase:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-mataeo-durant

Encouraging comments on the development of interior defensive linemen: DeWayne Carter, Gary Smith and Ja’Mion Franklin.

Gunnar Holmberg is the presumptive starter at QB. Great offseason in the weight room.

All Duke’s quarterbacks are more mobile than Chase Brice and the offense plans to take advantage with the read option and RPO.

Playmakers at receiver with size outside and speed inside.
    Bob Green

Article on Cutcliffe's Son

Today's Nashville Tennessean has an article on Marcus Hilliard, Cutcliffe's adopted* son and currently an associate AD for the Vols (his alma mater). It describes the manner in which he became a part of Cutcliffe's family, after his biological mom died, and his deep friendship with Chris Cutcliffe.

* It does not really spell it out, but it does mention Marcus as "Cutcliffe's son" and so I assume there was a formal adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Today's Nashville Tennessean has an article on Marcus Hilliard, Cutcliffe's adopted* son and currently an associate AD for the Vols (his alma mater). It describes the manner in which he became a part of Cutcliffe's family, after his biological mom died, and his deep friendship with Chris Cutcliffe.

* It does not really spell it out, but it does mention Marcus as "Cutcliffe's son" and so I assume there was a formal adoption.
    Unfortunately the article is behind a pay wall.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Unfortunately the article is behind a pay wall.
    Well, dang, the last time I posted a link to the online Tennessean, I was told people were able to get to it. Sorry about that.

Highlights of the article:
    • Title of the article: "Why David Cutcliffe's son is 'rising star' for UT athletics"
    • Hilliard's biological mother died of lung cancer in 2001
    • At the time, Hilliard was a HS frosh and Chris Cutcliffe was his best friend (they met at Oxford MS in the 6th grade, when Hilliard befriended Chris after Cut became coach of Miss)
    • Hilliard bounced around with a few families, but frequently spent weekends with the Cutcliffes
    • Karen Cutcliffe, coach's wife, invited Hilliard to stay with the family; no mention was made in the article of a formal adoption, but it does seem to be implied
    • Hilliard and Chris attended UT together and were student football equipment managers, while Coach was there for his 2nd term as OC
    • During the summers at UT, Hilliard worked in the football recruiting office under Gerald Harrison
    • When Harrison became Austin Peay AD in 2018, he hired Hilliard as his general factotum
    • When Danny White became UT AD this year, he hired Hilliard to be the head human resources head in the athletic department
    • Hilliard has generally impressed everybody he has come in contact with, obviously including the whole Cutcliffe family

Good stuff, thanks 75. I had heard the story of the adoption but knew nothing about the adopted son's rising career. The Cut family is special.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Chase Brice seemed like a nice guy who did his level best to help Duke win football games. But Holmberg's presser yesterday made it clear how Brice's lack of foot speed compressed Duke's play book and limited Duke's options (no pun intended). All of Duke's quarterbacks can run and Duke hopes to take advantage of that this season in ways that were off the table last fall.