Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 1,061 to 1,064 of 1064
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    By "university subsidy", do you mean the Duke University general budget allocates $16 million to the basketball program? If the basketball program is generating $64 million a year without that subsidy, why do they need $16 million from the general university budget?
    to the athletic department.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I guess my estimate of $15 to $20 million was way too low but I'd like to see what goes into that $28.8 number for the football program.

LOL, no doubt the athletic department is cutting it close but, hey, a profit is a profit!
    It is likely that Duke gets to consider overhead and indirect expenses -- including the depn. and amortization of the extensive football facilities, plus a slice of the AD budget plus a slice of university OH.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It is likely that Duke gets to consider overhead and indirect expenses -- including the depn. and amortization of the extensive football facilities, plus a slice of the AD budget plus a slice of university OH.
    Yes, one can definitely NOT compare one program with other programs since expense can be allocated in many different ways. It's an art form. Anyone who has worked in a large corporation knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    duke makes ~32 million from the ACC. AFAIK, the university subsidy is, and has remained at for quite some time ~16 million (which is actually great that the department has been sustainable on that level of subsidy).

There are also other revenue streams
    - nike
    - ticket take
    - the K endowment (or whatever it is called)
    - annual donations

Research shows the nike value is like 1.5 million or so.

Ticket take is going to be largely driven from basketball, and I think tickets are 2k for the year (aside from the iron duke fee)...so 5k tickets, 10 million

The iron duke number is going to be base 8k * 2.5k for the bball tickets...or 20 million

but I'd guess the annual revenue of the department is somewhere near 80 million.

This is just a pull numbers out my butt estimate, fwiw.

whoa whoa whoa...the Athletic Department needs a subsidy? Huh. To read this forum, and to listen to Jay Bilas the last few years, athletic departments were rolling in dirty money.......you mean it costs a lot to OPERATE an athletic department? Who knew?

(I'll let myself out now...)