Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    So I surmise you’re taking the 161/2 points ...that’s today’s spread/ line

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Just looking at that. I’ll be in Vegas this weekend anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    161/2 = 80.5 even I would take that line.

I mentioned earlier this week, despite how we may feel about this team, Wake and then Pitt back to back is an opportunity. Unlikely to be an opportunity we take advantage of, but an opportunity nonetheless.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    That's been going through my mind... Here we are all speculating about what the next big thing should be, so watch Cut & co. go out and beat Wake this weekend, just so's they can watch us all eat crow.
    Beating Wake would be great, but it will not change my mind that the program needs a new direction.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    I'll complain about Cut when the Duke Admin decides to let him have a level playing field. Until that happens, I'm quite sure he's going into a gun fight with a knife. A few people here keep pointing out Wake as comp, and I have heard from a pretty reliable source (local HS coaches) that Duke gets 4 exemptions a year, Wake gets 15. I obviously don't know the fine details with how the exemptions work from school to school, but it seems fairly clear to me that the playing field is anything but level.
    Perhaps Jim Sumner or others can chime in, but I was under the impression that Duke's exemptions had actually increased under Cut, and more importantly, Kevin White, whose background at Notre Dame introduced a different perspective. ND has always been more lenient on admissions exemptions than Duke (and Stanford, Northwestern, and allegedly even Michigan, among others), but has also generally done good job of making sure those exemptions are still serious in the classroom, good citizens around campus and graduate at a high rate. The Holtz era was a notable exception to this, and caused enough agita with alums that he was ultimately forced out.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Perhaps Jim Sumner or others can chime in, but I was under the impression that Duke's exemptions had actually increased under Cut, and more importantly, Kevin White, whose background at Notre Dame introduced a different perspective. ND has always been more lenient on admissions exemptions than Duke (and Stanford, Northwestern, and allegedly even Michigan, among others), but has also generally done good job of making sure those exemptions are still serious in the classroom, good citizens around campus and graduate at a high rate. The Holtz era was a notable exception to this, and caused enough agita with alums that he was ultimately forced out.
    My understanding is that the floor hasn't changed for Cut but more recruits are allowed at the floor level.

That is my understanding as well

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    All this talk will look mighty silly after we beat Wake this weekend.

Oh, and I’m out of vodka.
    Actually, clearly there is still much of it in your bloodstream...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Beating Wake would be great, but it will not change my mind that the program needs a new direction.
    No doubt—we're in agreement on that... But it would certainly be a little ironic, given the recent discussion here (and I'm saying this as someone who's been part of that recent discussion).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he'll answer questions about his status at his next extensive injury report.
    By the way, I did not mean to criticize you, but have you ever heard the press really push back against Cutcliffe in the least? I don't think it's unfair to say that the local press is very very kind to the man, all things considered.
    It's definitely a fair and accurate critique--though I'll say that Jim once asked Cut about the turnover problem last year, and he got something that I hadn't seen before--Exasperated/Defensive Cutcliffe.

Cut's defensiveness shouldn't preclude tough questioning. To wit, no one has asked Cut what factors have to lack of ownership after every setback. It may be that they're uncomfortable with getting feedback from Art Chase, I dunno. But we're talking 3 ACC wins in the last 21 games. That is inexcusable with the current advantages that Cut has over his predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    It's definitely a fair and accurate critique--though I'll say that Jim once asked Cut about the turnover problem last year, and he got something that I hadn't seen before--Exasperated/Defensive Cutcliffe.

Cut's defensiveness shouldn't preclude tough questioning. To wit, no one has asked Cut what factors have to lack of ownership after every setback. It may be that they're uncomfortable with getting feedback from Art Chase, I dunno. But we're talking 3 ACC wins in the last 21 games. That is inexcusable with the current advantages that Cut has over his predecessors.
    Yes, it has become a sort of Kabuki Theater in which shoulders are shrugged, vows of hard work are taken, then we do it again one week later.

Yes, it has become a sort of Kabuki Theater in which shoulders are shrugged, vows of hard work are taken, then we do it again one week later.
    As much time as we spend "running to it" we must be one of the best conditioned teams in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    As much time as we spend "running to it" we must be one of the best conditioned teams in the nation.
    Could we propose coaching guest hosts, K could talk about how we got knocked back against UVA.

Speaking of which, I know people on this forum who are aware of K's notion for a long time that Duke could and should be competitive in football.

Could we propose coaching guest hosts, K could talk about how we got knocked back against UVA.

Speaking of which, I know people on this forum who are aware of K's notion for a long time that Duke could and should be competitive in football.
    I hear that guy has a little bit of money...if we're trying to shore up salaries why not the "Krzyzewski Head Football Coach presented by Bojangles in conjunction with NAPA Auto Parts and Learfield Media"?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I hear that guy has a little bit of money...if we're trying to shore up salaries why not the "Krzyzewski Head Football Coach presented by Bojangles in conjunction with NAPA Auto Parts and Learfield Media"?
    Very reminiscent of Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace saw this coming a long time ago.

I keep wondering if La Nina will advocate or succeed in tapping into the endowment's $3 billion windfall which was recently announced. I know the vast majority stays in the endowment (as well it should), but if there were a time to afford a wee offering to the football gods, now is the time

There are only six coaches in the Power Five with a longer tenure than Coach Cut. Nice run.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    There are only six coaches in the Power Five with a longer tenure than Coach Cut. Nice run.
    Good point. I wish it were ending on a happier note...then again, maybe it's not ending at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I just looked up the list...I did not realize some of guys had been around so long. Almost my entire football fandom (mid 00s) in some cases.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/10/29/j...l-captain.aspx

A brief reprieve from the next HC speculation derby. Leonard Johnson has been promoted to Captain. Well deserved from a young man who consistently busts his butt for this team

Congratulations Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/10/29/j...l-captain.aspx

A brief reprieve from the next HC speculation derby. Leonard Johnson has been promoted to Captain. Well deserved from a young man who consistently busts his butt for this team

Congratulations Leonard.
    That's awesome. Congrats Mr. Johnson. Now kick Wake's butt.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide