Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    With Cut having only two years left on his deal I suspect others may defect, guys with perceived value like Albert for example...
    Hush your mouth!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

With Cut having only two years left on his deal I suspect others may defect, guys with perceived value like Albert for example...
    Not saying you are wrong, but that would be a rotten thing to do to a coach that is loyal to a fault.

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/sta...355920384?s=21

Duke has quietly promoted Sam McGrath to linebackers coach. I believe it both late in the hiring season along with the probability of hiring into a lame duck administration for anything other than an in-house replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not saying you are wrong, but that would be a rotten thing to do to a coach that is loyal to a fault.
    With Cut having but two years left on his contract, I'm sure a lot of assistants have to be thinking about what comes next for them...

With Cut having but two years left on his contract, I'm sure a lot of assistants have to be thinking about what comes next for them...
    I am not convinced he coaches the final year of that contract, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I am not convinced he coaches the final year of that contract, either.
    I'm convinced that he'll only leave if he chooses to do so...I doubt we'll see the new AD can him prematurely, what with the large deficit the department is running. I would love to see him transition to another role at Duke, however.

I'm convinced that he'll only leave if he chooses to do so...I doubt we'll see the new AD can him prematurely, what with the large deficit the department is running. I would love to see him transition to another role at Duke, however.
    Transitioning to another role usually softens the buyout at least a little bit. It seems to me that an opportunistic AD would see an opportunity to get an influx of money by creating some enthusiasm with a new hire. One year of salary is a drop in the overall athletics expenditure bucket, anyway.

Transitioning to another role usually softens the buyout at least a little bit. It seems to me that an opportunistic AD would see an opportunity to get an influx of money by creating some enthusiasm with a new hire. One year of salary is a drop in the overall athletics expenditure bucket, anyway.
    Cut's daughter should be finishing up at Duke by next year--it seems that might figure into his decision. It seems to be the rumor about K with respect to Joey Savarino's graduation.

for what it's worth, the athletic department is crying extreme poverty right now (so is just about every NCAA school), so I don't see a buyout coming, but I guess we'll see.

for what it's worth, the athletic department is crying extreme poverty right now (so is just about every NCAA school), so I don't see a buyout coming, but I guess we'll see.
    Assuming they negotiated a buy out on the final year that was less than the full amount of the contract, I would guess that by January 2022 they could find some donor(s) who would pony up a million or two to expedite the transition to a new coach.

And I think they need to. I'm not sure the program can survive two more years like the last one and have any hope of re-recovering.

Assuming they negotiated a buy out on the final year that was less than the full amount of the contract, I would guess that by January 2022 they could find some donor(s) who would pony up a million or two to expedite the transition to a new coach.

And I think they need to. I'm not sure the program can survive two more years like the last one and have any hope of re-recovering.
    Maybe Grant, Zion, JJ, Kyrie, Tatum and a few more ex-Dukies can chip in a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

GoDuke
    GTHC!!

As much as I want to see the football program get turned around, I don't think Cut will get canned...but might he be persuaded? I really have no idea. A graceful exit on good terms would be nice.

As much as I want to see the football program get turned around, I don't think Cut will get canned...but might he be persuaded? I really have no idea. A graceful exit on good terms would be nice.
    I feel like firing Cut would be a negative for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I feel like firing Cut would be a negative for the program.
    I just don't see them doing that...key question is will he want to coach for two more years?

I just don't see them doing that...key question is will he want to coach for two more years?
    But if he does want to coach beyond current contract; do we give short extension? Let’s face it, not extending the contract is same as firing.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But if he does want to coach beyond current contract; do we give short extension? Let’s face it, not extending the contract is same as firing.
    Well, there is SOME distinction. Does he merit an extension? As much as I have respect for the man, an extension might jeopardize my 37 years in a row of having season tickets...the product on the field is unwatchable now.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well, there is SOME distinction. Does he merit an extension? As much as I have respect for the man, an extension might jeopardize my 37 years in a row of having season tickets...the product on the field is unwatchable now.
    Leave a place better than you found it.
    His opening words at Duke. It's all on 2021 for him to make it happen. I'm pulling for him. I'm not optimistic, but I love a great comeback sports story.

PS..to your extension question, nope, he doesn't merit one in any way, shape, or form right now.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

According to local Nashville news, yesterday was the official football signing date. They reported on Vandy and UT. Did we add anyone or are we finished with recruiting? Are we still able to add players and are players still able to freely move on to different pastures? For those who keep up with such things, how was our class ranked? No coach can win without good players.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    According to local Nashville news, yesterday was the official football signing date. They reported on Vandy and UT. Did we add anyone or are we finished with recruiting? Are we still able to add players and are players still able to freely move on to different pastures? For those who keep up with such things, how was our class ranked? No coach can win without good players.
    One site (CBS?) had us #53 in the country, near the very bottom of the ACC as has been our custom in recent years. Small class (18 guys I think), with lots of defections from still eligible starters, e.g. Jordan, Waters, Dimukeje, etc...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Spring dates are set, practice starts tomorrow.

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced Thursday the program's spring practice dates as well as the date for the annual Spring Showcase.

The Blue Devils will use the allotted 15 practice sessions allowed by the NCAA during the spring in preparation for the 2021 season. One of those practice sessions will be devoted to the team's annual Spring Showcase, which is set for Saturday, March 27 at 10 a.m. Additional information on the Spring Showcase will be released at a later date.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/25/fo...mvFNi6oCcgS4OQ
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."