Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I just finished listening to the Coach Faris interview and recommend everyone give it a listen. He emphasized he is young and aggressive and expects to be aggressive calling plays. Coach Faris will be the offensive coordinator up in the box this season. He discusses depth extensively talking about position battles on the offensive line both inside and out. In response to a question, Coach Faris acknowledged Jack Wohlabaugh at center is critical. He also commented on the depth at wide receiver.

Jim Sumner has an article on turnovers posted on the front page. His normal excellent work:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...cro-durant-acc
    We'll see how it goes. Someone aggressive calling plays would be nice...but it seems that every time I get my hopes up concerning the offense, I realize we're stilling running the same, fairly predictable system. I want so much to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Speaking of turnovers.

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...cro-durant-acc
    This fascinating (terrifying?) article deserves a thorough read by the DBR posters and a money quote:

There were 127 teams playing FBS football last season. Duke ranked 127th in turnovers, with 39. Georgia Tech and Mississippi State tied for 125th, with 25.
    Let me restate this -- we had 50 percent more turnovers than either of the next two worse teams in college football! Looks like a place to start improvement.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We'll see how it goes. Someone aggressive calling plays would be nice...but it seems that every time I get my hopes up concerning the offense, I realize we're stilling running the same, fairly predictable system. I want so much to be wrong.
    I believe we are all in the “show me” frame of mind.
    Bob Green

A Winning Focus?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This fascinating (terrifying?) article deserves a thorough read by the DBR posters and a money quote:

Let me restate this -- we had 50 percent more turnovers than either of the next two worse teams in college football! Looks like a place to start improvement.
    I always appreciate Jim S's excellent work, including his article on turnovers being the clear [sounds like #1] focus for the team.

Should reducing turnovers be our #1 focus? I think I understand how critical turnovers are in football. They are often decisive. Over a season, a winning team must win the turnover battle.

But what causes turnovers? Sure, there are specific fundamentals to focus on for running backs to maintain ball security. And for QBs not to throw to the wrong spot/person. Etc., etc. But turnovers are symptoms, "lagging indicators" in finance parlance. When play calling is numbingly predictable and/or the OL is not doing its job, running backs are stopped before the line of scrimmage, try too hard to get an extra yard, and get fatigued if they have to run too much. QBs throw to the wrong spot/person for a variety of reasons, including having to rush the throw, routes not being run accurately, separation not being achieved and receivers not fighting for the ball.

Also, we all watched some inscrutable play calling and some knuckle-head plays. Were those due to a lack of focus on reducing turnovers? Not buying it.

Was last year's team's horrific turnover stats primarily due to a lack of focus on reducing turnovers or was it due to a variety of deficiencies that led to too many turnovers?

For a team that doesn't appear to have any systemic talent advantage, I can understand why Cutcliffe and staff decided to focus on reducing turnovers. Teams that believe they have inherent strengths and competitive advantages focus on those. Reducing mistakes is not the #1 focus for winning teams.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    For a team that doesn't appear to have any systemic talent advantage, I can understand why Cutcliffe and staff decided to focus on reducing turnovers. Teams that believe they have inherent strengths and competitive advantages focus on those. Reducing mistakes is not the #1 focus for winning teams.
    Very good analysis. Turnovers are the symptom and not the cause. Talent alone is not the cause since many teams do not have superior talent. So it is most likely a systematic deficiency... lack of organization, lack of execution, lack of game planning, etc.

Preventing turnovers as a goal seems backwards. Psychologically, its always better to use a positive term, such as 'ball security' not 'don't fumble', which could make players tight and indecisive.

Its probably a lack of fundamentals as a team, which was worsened by the pandemic-induced schedule. But all teams had to deal with that, to varying degrees. Maybe Duke has coddled their athletes too much since the school tries to be on the leading edge of the medical environment.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 08-10-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Jeff Faris has big plans for 2021 play-calling. Per Jim Sumner. Definitely worth a read.

Before every game Cut has the team recite General Neyland's game maxims. The first of them is: "The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win."

That is perhaps an exaggeration. But when Cut's teams were winning, it often came down to the "hidden yardage" on the margins: field position, penalties, and yes, turnovers. We realize most Duke teams aren't going to line up and smash the opposition. A disciplined, well-coached team can play above its talent level. For various reasons, that formula has failed over the last two years. Turnovers are the biggest culprit, as our special teams were excellent in 2020 and should be again this fall.

The good news is that you often see huge swings in turnover margin from year to year. Here are a few of examples from recent years: In 2017, Syracuse was -12 in TO, which was 123th in the country. The next year, they were +13 (5th). In 2018, Maryland was +10 in TO (15th). In 2019, they were -5(97th). In 2019, Northwestern was -10 in TO (121st). In 2020, they were +4 (36th). In 2018, Wake was -3 (85th). In 2019, they were +8 (19th). There's no reason Duke can't make a similar turnaround. I will take much better decision-making from our QB, as well as other players, plus some luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    The good news is that you often see huge swings in turnover margin from year to year. Here are a few of examples from recent years: In 2017, Syracuse was -12 in TO, which was 123th in the country. The next year, they were +13 (5th). In 2018, Maryland was +10 in TO (15th). In 2019, they were -5(97th). In 2019, Northwestern was -10 in TO (121st). In 2020, they were +4 (36th). In 2018, Wake was -3 (85th). In 2019, they were +8 (19th). There's no reason Duke can't make a similar turnaround. I will take much better decision-making from our QB, as well as other players, plus some luck.
    That's what everyone was saying last offseason...and, well...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Its probably a lack of fundamentals as a team, which was worsened by the pandemic-induced schedule. But all teams had to deal with that, to varying degrees. Maybe Duke has coddled their athletes too much since the school tries to be on the leading edge of the medical environment.
    If the last sentence was adjusted to the following, it would match my thoughts: Maybe Duke, as a national leader in public health and medicine with a large hospital on campus, took more significant steps than most others to protect their athletes, coaches, staff, students, and community, and proceeded cautiously when weighing the need to help prevent the rapid spread of a pandemic disease against the need for entertainment. I most consistently follow four men's teams: basketball, soccer, lacrosse and football. All four looked less cohesive and fundamentally sound than they have in the recent past, and to my eyes the extent of this difference was greater for Duke than for most other schools with similar levels of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jeff Faris has big plans for 2021 play-calling. Per Jim Sumner. Definitely worth a read.
    Didn’t see bubble screen mentioned once. Should I start to get excited?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    yes, Arnie, you may! I think we proved last year that we can maintain our record without resorting to bubble screens.

My personal benchmark for this season is how many times will we throw third down passes (e.g. on third and eight) that are three yards short of the first down marker? I am fully confident we led the league in that.

USA Today Coaches Poll just came out... it just hasn't been the same since the old ball coach retired.

Oh, and if you care about the teams at the top...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    USA Today Coaches Poll just came out... it just hasn't been the same since the old ball coach retired.

Oh, and if you care about the teams at the top...
    Who ever thought we'd see the day when Florida State was behind Liberty, Appalachian State, UAB and Nevada in a preseason football poll?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That Northwestern game is going to be huge for this team. While I of course would like to win, I will accept a decent showing in a loss. At least that would show progress.

PS, Duke plays a total of 5 teams listed. (Miami is #16, just doesn't show up in Jason's list.)
    NU, UNC, VT, Miami, Pitt
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-10-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Full list of teams and voters. (Which includes David Cutcliffe.)

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaa...22/2021-08-10/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's more like it...and a Self-Correction

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, Arnie, you may! I think we proved last year that we can maintain our record without resorting to bubble screens.

My personal benchmark for this season is how many times will we throw third down passes (e.g. on third and eight) that are three yards short of the first down marker? I am fully confident we led the league in that.
    After I posted late last night, my mind did an Auto-Correct: Jim's article clearly stated that "a clear focus" :-) for this year's team is reducing turnovers. I morphed that to #1 focus and that's not accurate. Sorry for the precision fail.

That said, I think the larger points of the importance of having positive goals and of focusing on fundamentals still stand. Thank you, DoubleBlue, Dr Maturin, Nepo and others for making those points.

And I am encouraged [Please, Lucy, do not snatch that football again...you promised!] by Jim's report on Faris's plan to play call aggressively. This really could be fun!

Now, more aggressive play calling might result in more turnovers than cautious, defensive play calling. Several years ago, I got hammered by a certain poster for lamenting the pedestrian, unimaginative and too predictable play calling. I don't believe that I have mentioned this [forgive me if I have], but the next year I was able to raise my point with Cut directly, in a respectful way. To his credit, he essentially agreed, with the proviso that when they go further out on the aggressive play calling curve, more mistakes happen. As always, he took full accountability for preparing the staff and players to execute whatever plays are called.

If I recall correctly, a similar phenomenon occurred last year, in that there was a period of rather imaginative play calling, and many of us were excited...but not by the too numerous mistakes. Cut said they they were cutting back the playbook to simpler and fewer plays. Mistakes were reduced, but at the cost of more predictability. Lucy be darned, I am hopeful that Faris and the entire staff can prepare our guys to execute well an imaginative offense.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    After I posted late last night, my mind did an Auto-Correct: Jim's article clearly stated that "a clear focus" :-) for this year's team is reducing turnovers. I morphed that to #1 focus and that's not accurate. Sorry for the precision fail.

That said, I think the larger points of the importance of having positive goals and of focusing on fundamentals still stand. Thank you, DoubleBlue, Dr Maturin, Nepo and others for making those points.

And I am encouraged [Please, Lucy, do not snatch that football again...you promised!] by Jim's report on Faris's plan to play call aggressively. This really could be fun!

Now, more aggressive play calling might result in more turnovers than cautious, defensive play calling. Several years ago, I got hammered by a certain poster for lamenting the pedestrian, unimaginative and too predictable play calling. I don't believe that I have mentioned this [forgive me if I have], but the next year I was able to raise my point with Cut directly, in a respectful way. To his credit, he essentially agreed, with the proviso that when they go further out on the aggressive play calling curve, more mistakes happen. As always, he took full accountability for preparing the staff and players to execute whatever plays are called.

If I recall correctly, a similar phenomenon occurred last year, in that there was a period of rather imaginative play calling, and many of us were excited...but not by the too numerous mistakes. Cut said they they were cutting back the playbook to simpler and fewer plays. Mistakes were reduced, but at the cost of more predictability. Lucy be darned, I am hopeful that Faris and the entire staff can prepare our guys to execute well an imaginative offense.
    Should I expect a name change to “Lucy” if we finish 2-10 or worse?😀😀

The first logical step towards aggressive playcalling would be to throw more often on first down. So many times we ran between the tackles on the first two downs, to little avail. I get the wonderfulness of establishing the run, but if you repeatedly show you can't establish the run plan B is required.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    You must have missed this statement:

We’ve got to make the defense defend every blade of grass.
    Bob Green

Bubble screens are fine a) when used in moderation, and b) when you have the right personnel (ideally an extremely sure-handed receiver with a wide catch radius and some shiftiness to make a guy or two miss, plus a QB that can put the ball in the right place). Even under Cut the years where we have had both of those things are few and far between, hence the frustration with bubble screens as receivers drop easy catches and QBs sail the ball high or throw it behind the receiver so they can't catch it in stride (or can't catch it at all).