Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pop quiz: Name 4 players on the 2 deep at DL without looking at the roster.

If that's too hard, try it for the front 7 (er, 6 I guess) instead (DL/LB).
    LB: Shaka Hayward, Rocky Shelton, the freshman Masui (spelling?)

DL: Ben Frye, DeWayne Carter

I should be able to name a couple more but the youngsters names are alluding me. I’ll blame it on old age.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    LB: Shaka Hayward, Rocky Shelton, the freshman Masui (spelling?)

DL: Ben Frye, DeWayne Carter

I should be able to name a couple more but the youngsters names are alluding me. I’ll blame it on old age.
    I believe we have two young local - Raleigh and Durham - DEs, one from Northern Durham. Also a young DL from Maryland (Arenas?). I definitely have old age trouble w/ names.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I believe we have two young local - Raleigh and Durham - DEs, one from Northern Durham. Also a young DL from Maryland (Arenas?). I definitely have old age trouble w/ names.
    Aeneas Peebles is from Raleigh (Knightdale, really) I think (but he is a DT). We had two starters from Maryland last year (Tangelo at DT and Dimukeje at DE), but they are gonzo. You might be thinking of the ND transfer Ja'Mion Franklin (also a DT) who I think is originally from Maryland.

Anyways, my point is that D-Line has gone from a position of strength/experience to one that is pretty much entirely young/unproven (except Frye, I guess, who I had forgotten was returning).

Anyways, my point is that D-Line has gone from a position of strength/experience to one that is pretty much entirely young/unproven (except Frye, I guess, who I had forgotten was returning).
    I agree with your point wholeheartedly. One young defensive lineman who demonstrated skill the past season was DeWayne Carter: 12 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 sack.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Very, very tough season coming up, that's a daunting schedule even for a good team.
    It isn’t a tough schedule for a good team. But we aren’t going to be good, so it will be tough for us.

As a lover of "Cheez-Its" for the better part of a century, I still laughed out loud when I saw Miami played in the Cheez-It Bowl.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Aeneas Peebles is from Raleigh (Knightdale, really) I think (but he is a DT). We had two starters from Maryland last year (Tangelo at DT and Dimukeje at DE), but they are gonzo. You might be thinking of the ND transfer Ja'Mion Franklin (also a DT) who I think is originally from Maryland.

Good call or recall on Peebles. He was the guy I thought was from Maryland. My Raleigh guy was Rorie from Raleigh Enloe.

You are exactly right re young/unproven.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Good call or recall on Peebles. He was the guy I thought was from Maryland. My Raleigh guy was Rorie from Raleigh Enloe.

You are exactly right re young/unproven.
    I remember there being some positive buzz around Peebles when we landed him (and he stuck out being from right down the road which is why I remembered him) but I don't know if expectations remain high now that he is with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    We have a reasonable chance of coming out of September 3-1, or worst case 2-2 - anything worse than that is really bad news. But at that point we need to manage expectations as the rest of the schedule is tough. Interesting that despite how far flung the ACC has become, all of our games are relatively close geographically.
    My O/U is down to 2.5 wins from 3.5 preseason (w/MTSU and Elon) last year. I'm not sold on beating KS based on how poorly we finished. By the same token, we are due for +4 TO game (after tons of -5 games), and all of the teams on our schedule are beatable on any given Saturday.

When VT complained about ticket sales from hosting BC and Duke in the same season, we were the odd man out and lost the geographic balance for home/away splits. (We used to visit Miami instead of VT in odd years.) We really rack up the frequent flyer miles in 2022--flip this P5 schedule and trade a trip to BC for hosting Louisville.

I'm disappointed the ACC is going back to the Atlantic-Coastal format. I would rather have more games against NCSU than Pitt or Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    My O/U is down to 2.5 wins from 3.5 preseason (w/MTSU and Elon) last year. I'm not sold on beating KS based on how poorly we finished. By the same token, we are due for +4 TO game (after tons of -5 games), and all of the teams on our schedule are beatable on any given Saturday.

When VT complained about ticket sales from hosting BC and Duke in the same season, we were the odd man out and lost the geographic balance for home/away splits. (We used to visit Miami instead of VT in odd years.) We really rack up the frequent flyer miles in 2022--flip this P5 schedule and trade a trip to BC for hosting Louisville.

I'm disappointed the ACC is going back to the Atlantic-Coastal format. I would rather have more games against NCSU than Pitt or Miami.
    So it seems how well we play is dependent on how well our quarterback plays. If Gunnar or Luca surprise to the upside, as happened with DJ we might be better than expected. A year of experience should help our receivers who appear to have some ability and some speed. I like Durant if he stays healthy. I’d rather lose 48-45 than lose like this year.

ESPN doesn't have Duke in the lowest tier... quite.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-2021-season

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ESPN doesn't have Duke in the lowest tier... quite.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-2021-season
    On our way back to being bottom 10 regulars.

On our way back to being bottom 10 regulars.
    There's hope; from the quoted article:

"Tier 10: UConn and Kansas
    UConn, Kansas

We'll be making a lot of UConn and Kansas jokes this year. This is the first one. We hope you enjoyed it."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Cautiously Optimistic

There was more not right with our team this past year than the players. Don't know if it was chemistry, poor coaching, lack of confidence, all of the above, or whatever. But I agree with a previous post in that the schedule is not murderer's row. If the coaching changes are good and Luca plays half as well as his NBA counterpart, I believe we could sneak up on a couple of teams and win 5. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    There was more not right with our team this past year than the players. Don't know if it was chemistry, poor coaching, lack of confidence, all of the above, or whatever. But I agree with a previous post in that the schedule is not murderer's row. If the coaching changes are good and Luca plays half as well as his NBA counterpart, I believe we could sneak up on a couple of teams and win 5. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.
    I'm feeling more like the title of this song:

https://www.google.com/search?q=help...hrome&ie=UTF-8

May we cover as well as they did. Man, I'd love to get five wins next year, but...
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

2.5 looks very accurate to me at this point. It's going to be a rough year (or two).

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...-falcons-staff

Another Duke football loss. This time, Coach Lanier Goethie, Linebacker coach, Defense Recruiting Coordinator on to the league.
    Best of luck, Coach Goethie.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...-falcons-staff

Another Duke football loss. This time, Coach Lanier Goethie, Linebacker coach, Defense Recruiting Coordinator on to the league.
    Best of luck, Coach Goethie.
    Per a Steve Wiseman tweet.

David Cutcliffe had just added lead defensive recruiting duties to Goethie's duties two weeks ago.
    Lovely.
    https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/s...54955449540617
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Maybe we will get lucky and some team will hire Zac Roper away from us.
    Bob Green

With Cut having only two years left on his deal I suspect others may defect, guys with perceived value like Albert for example...