Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with budwom. There are too many unknowns to be optimistic: quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, assistant coaches coaching new positions. This is looking like a three or four win season. Hope I am wrong.
    In an effort to describe the glass, would you say that there are too many unknowns to be pessimistic or are unknowns negative indicators by their existence?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    I totally agree, speaking as an admittedly fair-weather fan. To me it's a combination of the draw - are we going to even compete? not turn the ball over constantly? - and barriers to entry, literally. The renovation killed the atmosphere and the no re-entry policy killed tailgates except for those hardcore fans that buy 2 tickets to every game. And don't even get me started on the promotions fiascos of the recent years. Oh and the food sucks.
    I would add the August and September afternoon games, at the behest of the deity that is TV media.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    In an effort to describe the glass, would you say that there are too many unknowns to be pessimistic or are unknowns negative indicators by their existence?
    Unknowns are unknowns. The team could be excellent in all four areas I am concerned about but based on past performance I’m not optimistic. Like Jim Sumner stated, the team must answer questions in September games.
    Bob Green

There were hopes that QB Luke McCaffrey would transfer to Duke, but he is going to Rice, my other alma mater. Lessee -- Louisville, then Nebraska, now Rice.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Unknowns are unknowns. The team could be excellent in all four areas I am concerned about but based on past performance I’m not optimistic. Like Jim Sumner stated, the team must answer questions in September games.
    That is perfectly fair

I would only add that improvement in turnover margin is frequently a driver for CFB teams that make a notable jump in wins from one year to the next, in many cases without a significant upgrade in talent. I know I'm grasping here, but we have to better than 124th (2019) or 125th (2020) of ~130 D-1 teams this year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I know I'm grasping here, but we have to better than 124th (2019) or 125th (2020) of ~130 D-1 teams this year, right?
    We all certainly hope so. Ball security is critical as is creating turnovers on defense. It would be equally beneficial to cut down on untimely penalties.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    That is perfectly fair

I would only add that improvement in turnover margin is frequently a driver for CFB teams that make a notable jump in wins from one year to the next, in many cases without a significant upgrade in talent. I know I'm grasping here, but we have to better than 124th (2019) or 125th (2020) of ~130 D-1 teams this year, right?
    As an example, Northwestern went from 3-9 in 2019 to 7-2 last year with a +1.2 change in TO margin, going from 118th to 33rd nationally, and generally better QB play overall, but arguably less talent at other skill positions than Duke will have this year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    At this point I may attend tailgates and not games just to see and catch up with old friends, but have no desire to go into the stadium until and if the above are improved.
    There are a few of our tailgate members that do that every game, or at least some of them. Especially during the scorchers, it's easier (and probably safer) to hang out under the tents in front of the TV than it is to be inside. You are always welcome to join us.

Lots 086.jpg

Hopefully the games themselves are memorable, but if not, the likes of DevilDeac, DPSlaw, and August West make sure that the beer is.

NCCUTailgate 264.jpg

And, as one of your personal chefs on game day, I can guarantee you that the food does not suck.

Lots 121.jpg

If you (or anyone) would like to join us, we'd love to have you. Send a PM to Ozzie. Always the best experience on game day, and a great place to celebrate after when we do win! Even if it's during a hurricane, which we still show up for.

FallAndHurricaneGate 004.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There are a few of our tailgate members that do that every game, or at least some of them. Especially during the scorchers, it's easier (and probably safer) to hang out under the tents in front of the TV than it is to be inside. You are always welcome to join us.

Lots 086.jpg

Hopefully the games themselves are memorable, but if not, the likes of DevilDeac, DPSlaw, and August West make sure that the beer is.

NCCUTailgate 264.jpg

And, as one of your personal chefs on game day, I can guarantee you that the food does not suck.

Lots 121.jpg

If you (or anyone) would like to join us, we'd love to have you. Send a PM to Ozzie. Always the best experience on game day, and a great place to celebrate after when we do win! Even if it's during a hurricane, which we still show up for.

FallAndHurricaneGate 004.jpg

Please see our invitation to join in a new thread in the Off Topic board
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ilgate-in-2021
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighfan View Post
    Mr Hallcity, as I’ve told you many times (in person!): Duke just doesn’t have the fan base in numbers to fill Wallace Wade on a regular basis….regardless of the team’s success. And not every Duke alum in this area/within reasonable driving distance is even interested in college football (that goes for UNC and State alums as well). After faithfully attending football games in WW since 1982, I conclude that the only way to fill/have a respectable crowd in WW is for Duke to have an opponent whose fans travel en masse to see their team. There’s a school right here in Raleigh whose fans would be glad to come to Durham to watch their guys play Duke.
    For the record - NC A&T was a sell out. And will be again. I don't care if it's all employees come for free day - the Aggies will be in the house once again.

We just better not run out of hot dogs this time.

And while I'm at it - a couple of folks are predicting upset city for the A&T vs. Duke contest... (and this is without considering all the Duke defections).

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...ins-2021-bzbz/

Let the madness begin...

Duke's schedule

This guy thinks it is the easiest in the ACC:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...a-tough-slate/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    This guy thinks it is the easiest in the ACC:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...a-tough-slate/
    That guy is wrong. Unfortunately. (And he kind of contradicts himself in saying so.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That guy is wrong. Unfortunately. (And he kind of contradicts himself in saying so.)
    I haven't looked at the schedules in depth, but who has an easier one? No Notre Dame and no Clemson probably puts us in the bottom 25% by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I haven't looked at the schedules in depth, but who has an easier one? No Notre Dame and no Clemson probably puts us in the bottom 25% by default.
    Likewise, part of Clemson's "favorable" schedule is that they can't play against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Likewise, part of Clemson's "favorable" schedule is that they can't play against themselves.
    Right. If we were talking about easiest conference schedule, Duke probably wouldn't be the winner. That honor would go to whichever Coastal team(s) gets to skip ND and Clemson and get to play the worst team in the conference. But for the full slate? Looks like Duke to me, let's see what we can do with it.

This is the first in depth preview I've seen of Duke so far, and it's an honest one.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021...l-preview-2021

Most obvious need is to stop turning the ball over, and no longer lead the country in that stat.

Their prediction is for 5 wins, with Northwestern being our most important game.

This is the first in depth preview I've seen of Duke so far, and it's an honest one.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021...l-preview-2021

Most obvious need is to stop turning the ball over, and no longer lead the country in that stat.

Their prediction is for 5 wins, with Northwestern being our most important game.
    CFN does a really good job, one of the only sites that does its homework. Their weekly predictions are very thorough.

As far as beating Northwestern, I just don't see how that happens...they won the B1G West last year, and CFN projects them to have 7.5 wins...A Duke win would be absolutely huge, but I just don't think it's realistic.

I think our over/under on wins is 3.5...

Northwestern and Kansas are both critical games. As Jim Sumner pointed out upthread, lots of questions have to be answered in September.

Budwom is spot on with his 3.5 wins over/under.
    Bob Green

Northwestern and Kansas are both critical games. As Jim Sumner pointed out upthread, lots of questions have to be answered in September.

Budwom is spot on with his 3.5 wins over/under.
    Totally agree per Northwestern. Note, CFN isn't calling it a win for Duke, they merely point it out as the most standout "key game". If Duke wins, that's huge and likely puts at 4-0 going into October. Lose (and worse, lose badly), that could spiral the season. Or we could lose and use it as a way to find ourselves. Either way, it's the game that will likely tell us more about this team at a very important moment in the season, and the reaction will be equally important.