Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Lafayette (Fri, Nov 19, 8 pm, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke looks to extend it's home non-conference stretch on Friday night against the Lafayette Leopards of the Patriot League. On paper, this will be one of the easiest remaining games on the schedule. The Leopards are off to an 0-3 start with a close loss to Cornell sandwiched between two blowout losses to Syracuse and Penn.

Lafayette offers a very interesting profile. They have a pretty decent amount of size with starting C SR Neal Quinn standing 7'0" and a pair of 6'7" forwards in SO Kyle Jenkins and JR Leo (Short for Leopard? Probably not...) O'Boyle. Even with all that size, Lafayette likes to shoot the jumper. They have attempted more than half their FG attempts from beyond the arc and have connected on 33.3% of their attempts so far. Quinn is serving as a fulcrum for the offense, helping to distribute the ball to shooters. Almost nothing is happening at the rim for Lafayette. They have attempted and made only 2 dunks through 3 games and have attempted as many mid-range jumpers as those closer to the rim. The lineup includes a number of guards, including 6'2" SR Tyrone Perry, 6'3" SO G Jon Brantley, and reserve 6'2" FR PG CJ Fulton. The offense is fairly evenly distributed amongst Quinn, Perry, the forwards Jenkins and O'Boyle with Quinn and Jenkins spending more time inside the arc than their teammates that are mostly hunting jumpers.

The Leopards have no bite on defense. They gave up 64.0%+ eFG% to both Syracuse and Penn and have allowed teams to shoot 45.0% from 3 so far. Duke has been taking and hitting a lot more 3's during the current home stretch, making 37.8% of their 3's after going 1-13 to start the season against Kentucky. Quinn for Layafette is a bit of a stretch-5, although he does have an inside game and spends most of his time posting up. Mark Williams will have a height, length, and speed advantage against him and Theo John is just physically much tougher than Quinn. Still, it's a good matchup. Duke's guards will have a significant physical advantage as well. Like most teams, they don't have anyone that can check Paolo Banchero. Duke should win this one without much effort.

For me, it will be great to see Mark Williams build off his performance from Tuesday night. I'll also be looking at how well the team shoots the 3 and if Joey Baker, AJ Griffin, and Jaylen Blakes can continue to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    For me, it will be great to see ...
    As a graduate of both schools, for me it will be great to see both teams play well. O'Hanlon is a pretty solid coach, so hopefully his team will be prepared for the atmosphere at Cameron.

I've waited decades for this game and really looking forward to Friday. It truly will be a "win-win" game for me!

Pard93 (and Duke95)

Yes! Give me more Duke basketball! Looking forward to: seeing Paolo get back to full focus on basketball and being dominant Paolo, and basically everyone else continuing on their upward trajectories (very impressed recently with the steadiness of Jeremy Roach at PG, bringing it on D and O)! Lets keep improving, eliminate the mental/emotional distractions, and keep doing all the good things we do!

Quote Originally Posted by Pard93 View Post
    As a graduate of both schools, for me it will be great to see both teams play well. O'Hanlon is a pretty solid coach, so hopefully his team will be prepared for the atmosphere at Cameron.

I've waited decades for this game and really looking forward to Friday. It truly will be a "win-win" game for me!

Pard93 (and Duke95)
    you and my family would have so choice words!

Then again, I hear about a certain first round tournament game EVERY STINKIN' YEAR
    1200. DDMF.

For me, it will be great to see...
    The game at all? It looks like it'll be on the actual ACC Network as opposed to the ACCN+ (I'll second everyone who hates that; truly the worst development in sports television in the past few years), so here's hoping that's the case.

In all seriousness, though, I loved the way that we had focused on showing such a diversity of offensive options and approaches against Gardner-Webb, and I'd love to see more of that. And that game really showcased that this could be one of those teams that has a patented end-of-half/start-of-half Duke Run fed by the defense. Doing that here and making it a norm would be great, and it starts with finding the groove defensively. This team really does have the chance to be special on that end, and with so many guys who are great in the open court (and more on the way as Griffin continues to work his way back), whew.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you and my family would have so choice words!

Then again, I hear about a certain first round tournament game EVERY STINKIN' YEAR
    {edited; never mind; ignore}
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

For me, it will be great to see Mark Williams build off his performance from Tuesday night.
    This. After a match-up with a potential All-American, then with two guard-oriented teams, Mark played well last outing. This match-up should allow him another opportunity to get after it.

On which of the eleventy thousand platforms will this battle of the titans be broadcast? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    On which of the eleventy thousand platforms will this battle of the titans be broadcast? Thank you.
    ACC Network (so an actual TV channel). But you can also stream it on the ESPN app, assuming you have a TV provider that has both ESPN and the ACC Network.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ACC Network (so an actual TV channel). But you can also stream it on the ESPN app, assuming you have a TV provider that has both ESPN and the ACC Network.
    Thank you, CDu.

Jay Alter and Malcolm Huckaby are the announcers - Huckaby played at BC in the early 90s. I don't know if they are good, bad or indifferent.

we should win by several points.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Jay Alter and Malcolm Huckaby are the announcers - Huckaby played at BC in the early 90s. I don't know if they are good, bad or indifferent.
    I've generally found the announcers on the smaller channels to be better because they spend more time evaluating and talking about the game than themselves.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Our brilliant League management has succeeded in creating a system that is effectively non-functioning for a large portion of the fans. At my point in life I do not need or wish to deal with the dysfunction of having to search all these platforms or means of watching a basketball game. If it is not on ESPN or (now) Bally, I doubt I will see the game. I am not jumping through all the hoops to see hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    reddit also has a sub-reddit for live streaming of NCAA hoops

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Our brilliant League management has succeeded in creating a system that is effectively non-functioning for a large portion of the fans. At my point in life I do not need or wish to deal with the dysfunction of having to search all these platforms or means of watching a basketball game. If it is not on ESPN or (now) Bally, I doubt I will see the game. I am not jumping through all the hoops to see hoops.
    Well, all of our remaining games are either on one of the ESPN's (ESPN/2/U) or on ACCN (11 games) - There should be no more ACCNX. So hopefully you have access to ACCN.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

In this case, I think we should count our blessings that it is on ACC Network. Do you expect the Duke-Lafayette game to be on ESPN or some other major network? Some of the conference games that are on ACC Network are more problematic. But that is also the goal - they want you to call up your cable provider and harass them into paying up for ACC Network.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    In this case, I think we should count our blessings that it is on ACC Network. Do you expect the Duke-Lafayette game to be on ESPN or some other major network? Some of the conference games that are on ACC Network are more problematic. But that is also the goal - they want you to call up your cable provider and harass them into paying up for ACC Network.
    Some of do not get ACCN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pard93 View Post

Pard93 (and Duke95)
    Been waiting 21 years for this matchup as a ‘04 Lafayette grad and a 30+ year Duke fan.

I was thinking Fran is on his swan song as well—got to schedule K and Boeheim the same year! Hoping he’s replaced by another ‘04 Lafayette grad who coaches at D3 Haverford College.

Will be in the crowd with the crazies tonight—can’t figure out whether to rock the Lafayette hoodie or my Wojo jersey…

Some of do not get ACCN.
    I understand that. But if it is ACC Network or nothing, can't you be happy for those of us who do get ACC Network so we can watch? Or do we just have to suffer along with you? Why don't you use the time spent complaining to try to get your cable provider to get ACC Network?