Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Spring practice article and photo gallery:

https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/26/fo...-for-duke.aspx

https://goduke.com/galleries/footbal...-practice/1286

Practice number two on Saturday. I want to be optimistic but I am struggling.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Spring practice article and photo gallery:

https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/26/fo...-for-duke.aspx

https://goduke.com/galleries/footbal...-practice/1286

Practice number two on Saturday. I want to be optimistic but I am struggling.
    Revealing that the article mentions by name ACC honored defensive side 2020 starters that have departed, but on the offensive side and specifically QB discussion states that “Duke must replace its starting QB”. Two reasons maybe; no offensive players were honored therefore why mention them and/or Brice chose to transfer?
    Slow morning for me😀

Jim Sumner article on Cutcliffe’s spring practice news conference:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football

There are more questions than answers after going 2-9 in 2020. Jake Bobo says the offense is “switching some things up schematically.”

Quarterback is a huge question mark.

Lack of experience on the defensive line is scary.
    Bob Green

KS fires Les Miles. I'm not sure whether this will be bad or good.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

Depends on whose interest you are vested in I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I assume he meant "bad or good" in terms of our prospects of beating them ~6 months from now.

University of Kansas
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I assume he meant "bad or good" in terms of our prospects of beating them ~6 months from now.
    Oh. Well then yes!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Oh. Well then yes!
    Mtn.Devil needs a career in politics.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Mtn.Devil needs a career in politics.
    No chance. For oh so many reasons.

I have a friend and former business partner who actually would be great at local politics. He was in commercial real estate for years. He's on numerous do-gooder committees. He knows everyone.

He has zero interest in running for anything.

Really solidifies my belief that most who would be good for those jobs, would never run for office.

Shouldn't his name be Fewer Miles? Or am I nitpicking here...?

No chance. For oh so many reasons.

I have a friend and former business partner who actually would be great at local politics. He was in commercial real estate for years. He's on numerous do-gooder committees. He knows everyone.

He has zero interest in running for anything.

Really solidifies my belief that most who would be good for those jobs, would never run for office.
    Groucho Marx said something along the lines of I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.

I've long thought of politics in that vein.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Duke football team has paused in-person team activities indefinitely after identifying a cluster of COVID-19 cases within the program.

The Blue Devils started spring practice on February 26 and had conducted three official workouts prior to pausing. Per NCAA regulations, teams are permitted a total of 15 practices each spring.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/9/duk...yckaKB_yutRjbU
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

unsurprising. there have been huge issues this semester with off campus parties, many associated with illicit rush for the now disafilliated fraternities. Not sure if they specifically were at those parties, but campus is largely a petri dish right now...at least relative to last semester.
    1200. DDMF.

No love from the ACC Network. Ohio State football's COVID "pause" was recycling on the chyron -- Duke's pause was never mentioned on our own network!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No love from the ACC Network. Ohio State football's COVID "pause" was recycling on the chyron -- Duke's pause was never mentioned on our own network!
    Sage, ACCN has talked about it significantly.
    Bob Green

Things going downhill at duke...

In case you thought I was kidding in my last email about illicit rush parties...the university just went to war with the disaffiliated frats.

Dear students,

We are writing to follow up on our message from Monday regarding the recent spike in COVID-19 transmission among undergraduate students. Unfortunately, that spike has continued and the university must take additional steps to curtail further transmission in the days ahead. This new guidance will apply to all undergraduate students, and to all student groups regardless of their affiliation with Duke.

What’s happened

Between Friday, March 5 and Tuesday, March 9 at 8 p.m. a total of 102 undergraduates have tested positive for COVID. Tuesday’s total of 32 positive undergraduate cases is the single highest daily count within our student population since the pandemic began. The majority of students in this group either have a known Greek affiliation and/or are first-year male students in the Class of 2024. Many of these cases are connected to the off-campus rush activities and parties hosted by individuals connected to Durham Interfraternity Council, which includes Greek organizations that have recently severed their affiliations with Duke. All of these are under investigation by the Office of Conduct and Community Standards and other authorities.

Next steps

All Durham-based students must adhere to the follow guidance until further notice:
    Do not host or attend in-person events of 10 people or more. It remains Duke’s policy that student gatherings are limited to 10 people indoors or outdoors, unless specially approved by the Student Events Policy Committee.
    Do not host, attend, participate in any in-person rush events, on or off-campus, whether or not the group is affiliated with Duke. As has been stated, all rush events must also be virtual unless otherwise approved.
    To be clear, students who are seeking to affiliate with any selective organization may not participate in any in-person rush, pledge or other selection activity for any affiliated or unaffiliated student group.
    Failure to comply with these expectations will be considered a flagrant violation of The Duke Compact and Duke Community standard and will be dealt with accordingly in the student conduct process. Individuals and groups that violate Duke and Durham public health guidance are also subject to disciplinary action. Students found responsible for hosting off-campus events or other flagrant violations of The Duke Compact may face serious sanctions up to and including suspension and/or expulsion. Disciplinary processes for students found responsible for hosting off-campus events have already resulted in multi-semester suspensions.

1200. DDMF.

^ yeah, I'm seeing some Covid fatigue at schools up here, too...not helpful. Understandable, but not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yeah, I'm seeing some Covid fatigue at schools up here, too...not helpful. Understandable, but not helpful.
    it's a bit bigger at duke. the university said they were delaying rush until the fall, and a group of 9 (?) frats flipped the bird to the university and held rush anyway.
    1200. DDMF.

Came across this info on Derrick Tangelo practicing at Penn State

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/for-tran...new-challenges

“And then I can say the same about Derrick. Derrick came in and it took him a couple of weeks to get into the program for some other health reasons and once he came into the program, it's been phenomenal. He too gained some weight as well. He's up to about 305 right now. But he put 65 pounds on his power clean just in the short time that he's been here. He was able to clean 350 and has done a nice job.”

Still, he continued, the experience for Tangelo has been challenging in certain respects.

“It's been a really big transition for him (in) the weight room, but especially those 14 running workouts we talked about,” Galt said. “We get a lot of work done in a short period of time. Our guys get in shape pretty quickly when they come in here as freshmen, but if you're an older player, that can be an adjustment.

"To Derrick's credit though, he's really done a great job catching on and the guys have been very supportive of him and he's almost there, so we got another few weeks ago and we feel good about it.”

Not a favorable comparison to the strength and conditioning Derrick got at Duke.