Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke Football 2021

The Duke football 2021 schedule is out. We open at Charlotte and have 7 home games including one with Northwestern.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/1/27/20...announced.aspx

2021 Duke Football Schedule (2020 Record; Bowl Game)
    SEPTEMBER
    4 – at Charlotte (2-4)
    11 – NORTH CAROLINA A&T (playing in spring, 2021)
    18 – NORTHWESTERN (7-2; Big Ten West Champions; defeated Auburn, 35-19, in the Citrus Bowl)
    25 – KANSAS (0-9)

OCTOBER
    2 – at North Carolina (8-4; lost to Texas A&M, 41-27, in the Capital One Orange Bowl)
    9 – GEORGIA TECH (3-7)
    16 – at Virginia (5-5)
    23 – Open date
    30 – at Wake Forest (4-5; lost to Wisconsin, 42-28, in the Duke's Mayo Bowl)

NOVEMBER
    6 – PITTSBURGH (6-5)
    13 – at Virginia Tech (5-6)
    18 – LOUISVILLE (4-7)
    27 – MIAMI (8-3; lost to Oklahoma State, 37-34, in the Cheez-It Bowl)
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The Duke football 2021 schedule is out. We open at Charlotte and have 7 home games including one with Northwestern.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/1/27/20...announced.aspx
    Very, very tough season coming up, that's a daunting schedule even for a good team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Very, very tough season coming up, that's a daunting schedule even for a good team.
    Really? I count six reasonably expected wins. So probably we win four of those, maybe pick up one or two unexpected...

Sounds better than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Really? I count six reasonably expected wins. So probably we win four of those, maybe pick up one or two unexpected...

Sounds better than this year.
    Which 3 ACC teams are you calling likely wins? I assume it is some subset of Virginia, GT, Louisville, Wake Forest, Pitt, or VT.

We lost big to VT and GT last year. I would expect all of those teams to improve next year, while I expect due to some personnel losses (especially on the defensive side) that Duke will be worse next year than they were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Which 3 ACC teams are you calling likely wins? I assume it is some subset of Virginia, GT, Louisville, Wake Forest, Pitt, or VT.

We lost big to VT and GT last year. I would expect all of those teams to improve next year, while I expect due to some personnel losses (especially on the defensive side) that Duke will be worse next year than they were last year.
    GaTech, Wake, Louisville? Again, not a given, but I figure it balances out from an unexpected win.

Like I say, I see more wins on this schedule than last year. I could be wrong.

The Louisville home game is a week night game.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Will the guy be our starting QB?

https://twitter.com/Hudl/status/1354549750914109440
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

He should excel at our famous jump pa... ouch, too soon to even type!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Pop quiz: Name 4 players on the 2 deep at DL without looking at the roster.

If that's too hard, try it for the front 7 (er, 6 I guess) instead (DL/LB).

Pop quiz: Name 4 players on the 2 deep at DL without looking at the roster.

If that's too hard, try it for the front 7 (er, 6 I guess) instead (DL/LB).
    LB: Shaka Hayward, Rocky Shelton, the freshman Masui (spelling?)

DL: Ben Frye, DeWayne Carter

I should be able to name a couple more but the youngsters names are alluding me. I’ll blame it on old age.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    LB: Shaka Hayward, Rocky Shelton, the freshman Masui (spelling?)

DL: Ben Frye, DeWayne Carter

I should be able to name a couple more but the youngsters names are alluding me. I’ll blame it on old age.
    I believe we have two young local - Raleigh and Durham - DEs, one from Northern Durham. Also a young DL from Maryland (Arenas?). I definitely have old age trouble w/ names.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I believe we have two young local - Raleigh and Durham - DEs, one from Northern Durham. Also a young DL from Maryland (Arenas?). I definitely have old age trouble w/ names.
    Aeneas Peebles is from Raleigh (Knightdale, really) I think (but he is a DT). We had two starters from Maryland last year (Tangelo at DT and Dimukeje at DE), but they are gonzo. You might be thinking of the ND transfer Ja'Mion Franklin (also a DT) who I think is originally from Maryland.

Anyways, my point is that D-Line has gone from a position of strength/experience to one that is pretty much entirely young/unproven (except Frye, I guess, who I had forgotten was returning).

Anyways, my point is that D-Line has gone from a position of strength/experience to one that is pretty much entirely young/unproven (except Frye, I guess, who I had forgotten was returning).
    I agree with your point wholeheartedly. One young defensive lineman who demonstrated skill the past season was DeWayne Carter: 12 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 sack.
    Bob Green

Aeneas Peebles is from Raleigh (Knightdale, really) I think (but he is a DT). We had two starters from Maryland last year (Tangelo at DT and Dimukeje at DE), but they are gonzo. You might be thinking of the ND transfer Ja'Mion Franklin (also a DT) who I think is originally from Maryland.

Good call or recall on Peebles. He was the guy I thought was from Maryland. My Raleigh guy was Rorie from Raleigh Enloe.

You are exactly right re young/unproven.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Good call or recall on Peebles. He was the guy I thought was from Maryland. My Raleigh guy was Rorie from Raleigh Enloe.

You are exactly right re young/unproven.
    I remember there being some positive buzz around Peebles when we landed him (and he stuck out being from right down the road which is why I remembered him) but I don't know if expectations remain high now that he is with the program.

As a lover of "Cheez-Its" for the better part of a century, I still laughed out loud when I saw Miami played in the Cheez-It Bowl.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Spring dates are set, practice starts tomorrow.

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced Thursday the program's spring practice dates as well as the date for the annual Spring Showcase.

The Blue Devils will use the allotted 15 practice sessions allowed by the NCAA during the spring in preparation for the 2021 season. One of those practice sessions will be devoted to the team's annual Spring Showcase, which is set for Saturday, March 27 at 10 a.m. Additional information on the Spring Showcase will be released at a later date.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/25/fo...mvFNi6oCcgS4OQ
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Spring practice article and photo gallery:

https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/26/fo...-for-duke.aspx

https://goduke.com/galleries/footbal...-practice/1286

Practice number two on Saturday. I want to be optimistic but I am struggling.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Spring practice article and photo gallery:

https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/26/fo...-for-duke.aspx

https://goduke.com/galleries/footbal...-practice/1286

Practice number two on Saturday. I want to be optimistic but I am struggling.
    Revealing that the article mentions by name ACC honored defensive side 2020 starters that have departed, but on the offensive side and specifically QB discussion states that “Duke must replace its starting QB”. Two reasons maybe; no offensive players were honored therefore why mention them and/or Brice chose to transfer?
    Slow morning for me😀

Jim Sumner article on Cutcliffe’s spring practice news conference:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football

There are more questions than answers after going 2-9 in 2020. Jake Bobo says the offense is “switching some things up schematically.”

Quarterback is a huge question mark.

Lack of experience on the defensive line is scary.
    Bob Green