Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Sang frequently on beaches when my three daughters were little girls:

These flips were made for floppin
    And that's just what they'll do.
    One of these days these flips
    Are gonna flop all over you.
    Thanks, I'm going to be singing that to myself every time I put on flip flops for the next 50 years or so (well, fingers crossed I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to be singing that to myself every time I put on flip flops for the next 50 years or so (well, fingers crossed I guess).
    First case of earworm I've ever contracted from DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Jim (and others), sorry but I can't go with a song where most everyone associated with it knew it was intentionally bad and/or kitschy. Gator, a potch on your tuchus for nominating such a song as 'These Boots Are Made for Walkin''...enjoyable classic uber-kitsch. I put 'Afternoon Delight' in that category for the most part. Now, *my* nomination would be 'Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat' by a lame, much less talented version of The Jackson 5, The DeFranco Family. Now that my fellow Duke fans, is an awful song and worse yet, they probably thought it was a great little ditty...'tis a pity.
    Another inspired choice. Though I would argue that the DeFranco family was more of a lame, much less talented version of the Osmonds (much lower bar; they were infinitely less talented than the Jackson 5).

I nominate "Run Joey Run" by David Gerdes. Just all kinds of awful. Watch this if you dare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFKS3xxF3M

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Another inspired choice. Though I would argue that the DeFranco family was more of a lame, much less talented version of the Osmonds (much lower bar; they were infinitely less talented than the Jackson 5).

I nominate "Run Joey Run" by David Gerdes. Just all kinds of awful. Watch this if you dare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFKS3xxF3M
    Firstly, you're right. The DeFiasco family more accurately could be described as a poor (very poor) man's version of the Osmonds.

Secondly, I think you're onto something here with your entry. Jeez...that's epic bad, but I kept listening until the end to see if it would get better - it didn't. I've been fortunate up to this point of my life not having heard it, and you warned us but I just had to take you up on the dare. You submitted the winning entry in my opinion.😏

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wooohooo! We are in the top 100!
    College football Re-Rank 1-130: Major changes in top 25 after Week 3

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/week-3-...143427122.html

There are "three" ACC teams in the top 20, if ND is included. The first is an easy guess, but you might be surprised at the third one that comes in at #19.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wooohooo! We are in the top 100!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/week-3-...143427122.html

There are "three" ACC teams in the top 20, if ND is included. The first is an easy guess, but you might be surprised at the third one that comes in at #19.
    96 is an A, isn't it.

WF deserves that ranking.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Why should we consider a football team as an ACC team when its school has no inclination to consider that team a member?

A somewhat amusing (at least to me, the school sounds like they took it more seriously than was necessary) story has former Duke WR Max McCaffrey in the news for (accidentally) hitting an opposing fan when tossing away a clipboard he had broken. The fan asked to keep the clipboard as a souvenir, so I assume they aren't that upset about it. For those of you who are like me and had no idea, Max is currently the Offensive Coordinator for Northern Colorado.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-toss-hit-fan

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    A somewhat amusing (at least to me, the school sounds like they took it more seriously than was necessary) story has former Duke WR Max McCaffrey in the news for (accidentally) hitting an opposing fan when tossing away a clipboard he had broken. The fan asked to keep the clipboard as a souvenir, so I assume they aren't that upset about it. For those of you who are like me and had no idea, Max is currently the Offensive Coordinator for Northern Colorado.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-toss-hit-fan
    Was it a vertical toss or an East to West toss he’s more accustomed to?

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Was it a vertical toss or an East to West toss he’s more accustomed to?
    Now this is Zpork worthy, and I did!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Triple Digits

Duke is 100 in the updated Sagarin Rankings:

https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2021-2/...-ratings-2021/

Upcoming opponents:

Virginia- 55
    Wake Forest - 22
    Pittsburgh - 15
    Virginia Tech - 51
    Louisville - 59
    Miami - 57
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is 100 in the updated Sagarin Rankings:

https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2021-2/...-ratings-2021/

Upcoming opponents:

Virginia- 55
    Wake Forest - 22
    Pittsburgh - 15
    Virginia Tech - 51
    Louisville - 59
    Miami - 57
    One hundred out of 258 puts us in the top 40% of football programs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One hundred out of 258 puts us in the top 40% of football programs!
    FBS is only ~ 130 teams. There are FCS teams ranked higher than us.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    FBS is only ~ 130 teams. There are FCS teams ranked higher than us.
    I know. I was just confused why he had them all listed together. There's no universe in which we are in the top 40% of football teams this season.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...thing.amp.html

Read this from 2009.
    God I was so sucked in. For a period of time, man, it was exciting, watching the football program on the launch pad, headed for special times.

That New Years Eve in Atlanta, watching our boys put the fear of god into Texas A&M, catapulted Duke to a level of respectability not seen in years.

The magic wasn’t sustained though. Good assistant coaches left for higher paying gigs and the recruitment of highly sought quarterbacks never panned out.

Thank you David Cutcliffe for electrifying Duke Football for a short period of time. You made me give a damn. In the end though, Ole Miss saw something that we’re seeing now.

Enjoy your week all.

^ yes, I was at that game and share those sentiments. Best half of football, perhaps, that Duke has ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yes, I was at that game and share those sentiments. Best half of football, perhaps, that Duke has ever played.
    First quarter of the ACC Championship game made me similarly giddy. It went downhill quickly from there and it was a very cold night. Ended up sipping expensive bad beer on the concourse.

First quarter of the ACC Championship game made me similarly giddy. It went downhill quickly from there and it was a very cold night. Ended up sipping expensive bad beer on the concourse.
    That was a cold, misty, unpleasant night for sure (of course it didn't help that we were all young and cheap and practically had our backs against the rim of the stadium). The tickets were only $20 though!

Edit to add: I was the only Duke fan in the group. Duke was a good enough story that that I was able to convince 6 non-Duke friends to tag along (tough to do this year).

Even though FSU was in a different class, our boys hit them with bad intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Even though FSU was in a different class, our boys hit them with bad intentions.
    Yes they did. My seats were right next to the tunnel where the FSU team entered the stadium. I was shocked at how much bigger they were than our guys. I was proud of Duke's fight that night.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide