Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Duke Football 2021

The Duke football 2021 schedule is out. We open at Charlotte and have 7 home games including one with Northwestern.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/1/27/20...announced.aspx

2021 Duke Football Schedule (2020 Record; Bowl Game)
    SEPTEMBER
    4 – at Charlotte (2-4)
    11 – NORTH CAROLINA A&T (playing in spring, 2021)
    18 – NORTHWESTERN (7-2; Big Ten West Champions; defeated Auburn, 35-19, in the Citrus Bowl)
    25 – KANSAS (0-9)

OCTOBER
    2 – at North Carolina (8-4; lost to Texas A&M, 41-27, in the Capital One Orange Bowl)
    9 – GEORGIA TECH (3-7)
    16 – at Virginia (5-5)
    23 – Open date
    30 – at Wake Forest (4-5; lost to Wisconsin, 42-28, in the Duke's Mayo Bowl)

NOVEMBER
    6 – PITTSBURGH (6-5)
    13 – at Virginia Tech (5-6)
    18 – LOUISVILLE (4-7)
    27 – MIAMI (8-3; lost to Oklahoma State, 37-34, in the Cheez-It Bowl)
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The Duke football 2021 schedule is out. We open at Charlotte and have 7 home games including one with Northwestern.

Very, very tough season coming up, that's a daunting schedule even for a good team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

2021 Duke Football Schedule (2020 Record; Bowl Game)
    SEPTEMBER
    4 – at Charlotte (2-4)
    11 – NORTH CAROLINA A&T (playing in spring, 2021)
    18 – NORTHWESTERN (7-2; Big Ten West Champions; defeated Auburn, 35-19, in the Citrus Bowl)
    25 – KANSAS (0-9)

OCTOBER
    2 – at North Carolina (8-4; lost to Texas A&M, 41-27, in the Capital One Orange Bowl)
    9 – GEORGIA TECH (3-7)
    16 – at Virginia (5-5)
    23 – Open date
    30 – at Wake Forest (4-5; lost to Wisconsin, 42-28, in the Duke's Mayo Bowl)

NOVEMBER
    6 – PITTSBURGH (6-5)
    13 – at Virginia Tech (5-6)
    18 – LOUISVILLE (4-7)
    27 – MIAMI (8-3; lost to Oklahoma State, 37-34, in the Cheez-It Bowl)
    We have a reasonable chance of coming out of September 3-1, or worst case 2-2 - anything worse than that is really bad news. But at that point we need to manage expectations as the rest of the schedule is tough.

Interesting that despite how far flung the ACC has become, all of our games are relatively close geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Very, very tough season coming up, that's a daunting schedule even for a good team.
    Really? I count six reasonably expected wins. So probably we win four of those, maybe pick up one or two unexpected...

Sounds better than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Really? I count six reasonably expected wins. So probably we win four of those, maybe pick up one or two unexpected...

Which 3 ACC teams are you calling likely wins? I assume it is some subset of Virginia, GT, Louisville, Wake Forest, Pitt, or VT.

We lost big to VT and GT last year. I would expect all of those teams to improve next year, while I expect due to some personnel losses (especially on the defensive side) that Duke will be worse next year than they were last year.

Not too bad a schedule IMO for any half-way decent team. Interesting/sad that Duke-UNC has been relegated to a conference opener instead of a rivalry closer. But truth hurts I guess.

Gotta get some substantial forward momentum this year. Gonna be tough. Hoping we meet or exceed the minimal "half-way decent team" standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Which 3 ACC teams are you calling likely wins? I assume it is some subset of Virginia, GT, Louisville, Wake Forest, Pitt, or VT.

We lost big to VT and GT last year. I would expect all of those teams to improve next year, while I expect due to some personnel losses (especially on the defensive side) that Duke will be worse next year than they were last year.
    GaTech, Wake, Louisville? Again, not a given, but I figure it balances out from an unexpected win.

Like I say, I see more wins on this schedule than last year. I could be wrong.

The Louisville home game is a week night game.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Will the guy be our starting QB?

https://twitter.com/Hudl/status/1354549750914109440
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

GaTech, Wake, Louisville? Again, not a given, but I figure it balances out from an unexpected win.

Like I say, I see more wins on this schedule than last year. I could be wrong.
    I'm just not sure Duke is going to be any good next year. Do we even have enough D-Linemen to field a front 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm just not sure Duke is going to be any good next year. Do we even have enough D-Linemen to field a front 4?
    Well if we aren't any good, sure. But the schedule doesn't look like the deciding factor to me. It's not murderer's row.

Well if we aren't any good, sure. But the schedule doesn't look like the deciding factor to me. It's not murderer's row.
    Agreed. Very reasonable schedule. Ensures a good start.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    We have a reasonable chance of coming out of September 3-1, or worst case 2-2 - anything worse than that is really bad news. But at that point we need to manage expectations as the rest of the schedule is tough.

Interesting that despite how far flung the ACC has become, all of our games are relatively close geographically.
    If we don’t beat Charlotte, A&T AND Kansas, the rest of the season’s not going to be good.

An article on Northwestern football (SI, November 2020)

https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/1...n-revival-tour

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If we don’t beat Charlotte, A&T AND Kansas, the rest of the season’s not going to be good.
    Yes, the schedule is our typical ACC schedule, with average Louisville as the only variable and relatively easy OOC schedule. Problem is we haven’t kept up with other ACC schools and maybe we eak out one ACC win and 2 or 3 OOC. Seems 4 wins is ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Seems 4 wins is ceiling.
    Agreed. Three wins is more likely but four is possible. Anyone predicting five or more either hasn’t been paying attention or is delusional. I’ll predict three wins and pray my optimism isn’t getting the best of me once again.
    Bob Green

2-3 wins maximum.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Agreed. Three wins is more likely but four is possible. Anyone predicting five or more either hasn’t been paying attention or is delusional. I’ll predict three wins and pray my optimism isn’t getting the best of me once again.
    Bob is way more in line with what I'm thinking. We can enter October with three wins, but after that I'm not optimistic, and if we don't enter November with 4, it's another busted season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

He should excel at our famous jump pa... ouch, too soon to even type!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Pop quiz: Name 4 players on the 2 deep at DL without looking at the roster.

If that's too hard, try it for the front 7 (er, 6 I guess) instead (DL/LB).