Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Going back to the criteria Duke employed in 2008, per Joe Aleva,
    1) a HC with a winning record
    2) knows how to recruit
    3) understands the balance of academics and athletics
    4) a person of integrity
    5) a strong family man

I suspect Duke will adhere to these criteria this time around as well.

In my opinion, which is worth .02, Duke will go for a younger, successful HC from a non power 5 school. I just don’t see or can’t recall another David Cutcliffe available.

Have a great, non Duke football weekend all.

^ I think that's true, though of course Cutcliffe wasn't a head coach when Duke hired him. Any P5 hot commodity coach would probably be well beyond our budget. Gotta identify a talented young guy, like Wake and State did for example.

Budget

I looked up the salaries for ACC head coaches and Duke is toward the bottom of the list. Also looked up some salaries of assistant coaches nationwide. Duke needs to budget increases in both categories. There is no reason Duke can not be more successful in the Coastal, a division that has not been dominated by any one school. Duke could have won the division a couple of more times after 2013. Even with the losses (portal/draft/graduation) and a 48-0 outlier to UVA, the defense has been better (fewer points per game allowed) and the offense (in spite of some questionable play calling in some situations) has been better. However, it is past time for some scheme changes. Hopefully, the right selection of a new head coach and a great staff will address those issues.

^ yes, a new coach without a competent new staff does little good. I think a new coach will insist on competitive salaries.

And while I know that fundraising is always a ratchet (we want more, more, more) Duke's endowment windfall of $3 billion + could certainly be lightly tapped to help fund this. The Tower will continue to empty and run up more red ink as long as the product on the field is putrid.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Going back to the criteria Duke employed in 2008, per Joe Aleva,
    1) a HC with a winning record
    2) knows how to recruit
    3) understands the balance of academics and athletics
    4) a person of integrity
    5) a strong family man

I suspect Duke will adhere to these criteria this time
    Wonder in what way being a family man could possibly bring anything to the table for football coaching that being a person of integrity does not. Moms trust you more on the recruiting trail?

Cutcliffe was a unicorn as someone with a winning record at a power five team which might come to Duke. This means we are looking at someone from a smaller program which means whatever recruiting experience the coach has may be less applicable.

I think I would add to the list that the coach plays a aggressive entertaining style of ball.

I can tell you with 1000% certainty, we are not limited to candidates from smaller programs if Duke wants to pay market rate. I say this because I personally know a big name candidate who is definitely interested if Duke chooses to pay market rate.

Now if Duke goes cheap…that will not happen
    You get what you pay for

Only pay for what you need....

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Only pay for what you need...
    Could we afford the emu?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Could we afford the emu?
    Can we save money and ditch Doug?

Or maybe bundle and save?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    Wonder in what way being a family man could possibly bring anything to the table for football coaching that being a person of integrity does not. Moms trust you more on the recruiting trail?

Cutcliffe was a unicorn as someone with a winning record at a power five team which might come to Duke. This means we are looking at someone from a smaller program which means whatever recruiting experience the coach has may be less applicable.

I think I would add to the list that the coach plays a aggressive entertaining style of ball.
    I agree - the term “strong family man” is a remnant from the 50s - I don’t think Ward Cleaver will be applying - integrity makes that point.

One of the ideal types of candidates is one now at a smaller program who has some experience at as a power 5 assistant so they have some sense of how the big boys do things. For instance, the Charlotte coach has done a pretty nice job but has never worked at a big program, which would worry me.

I thought one of the conditions of Cutcliffe taking the job was that we would pay more competitive salaries for assistants. Of course, he has been around a while so maybe we haven’t kept up since then.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    I can tell you with 1000% certainty, we are not limited to candidates from smaller programs if Duke wants to pay market rate. I say this because I personally know a big name candidate who is definitely interested if Duke chooses to pay market rate.

Now if Duke goes cheap…that will not happen
    You get what you pay for
    For the uninformed like me, what would you say the market rate is today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Roughly $5MM
    24 Power 5 coaches are earning in excess of $4.8MM this season including Pitt's Pat Narduzzi at $4.82MM, Utah's Kyle Whittingham is at $5.2MM, Michigan State's Mel Tucker is $5.67MM, Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald is at 5.75MM, Penn State's James Franklin is at $7MM, Stanford's David Shaw is at $8.92MM
    Of course, Nick Saban tops the list at $9.75MM

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    A good guestimate is $3.5 million. Here are the other Big 4 salaries:

Mack Brown $3.5 million
    Dave Doeren $3.5 million
    Dave Clawson $3.6 million

I just grabbed those numbers off Google so take ‘em with a grain of salt.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Mack Brown $3.5 million
    Dave Doeren $3.5 million

The market has moved for new hires dramatically in the last 5 years. Quality new candidates want market rate and they will point to Northwestern and Stanford as P5 peers

Clawson signed his 8-year extension in 2019...we are now approaching 2022...the bar has been raised over the past 3 seasons. With his success at Wake, they will have to pay market or he will leave in all likelihood for greener pastures after this year's success

Brown signed his contract in 2018...had to take a cut-rate deal because UNC owed Fedora over $12MM

Wake and UNC locked in their money at lower prices earlier in the cycle

Thanks for the quick answers - really helpful.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The market has moved for new hires dramatically
    If the big money boosters are willing to pay $5 million, I agree there will be no shortage of job applicants.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Mack Brown $3.5 million
    Dave Doeren $3.5 million

yes, things have really changed, salaries are way up, but I agree, $5 million is not required to get a good prospect, though I'm fine if they pay that much and get good quality in return. For a guy making $800k in the MAC, $3.5 million looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, things have really changed, salaries are way up, but I agree, $5 million is not required to get a good prospect, though I'm fine if they pay that much and get good quality in return. For a guy making $800k in the MAC, $3.5 million looks pretty good.
    I expect we will get a good candidate for less, with an indication that merit raises will be granted.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    By next year, nearly 50% of P5 coaches will be at roughly $5mm+ after the coaching carousel stops spinning
    While money does not guarantee success, it certainly increases the likelihood
    As my mom used to say: Penny wise but pound foolish

The time for taking a flyer on a low-cost provider is over; there is too much at risk including the potential loss of conference affiliation
    Pay market and at least demonstrate a true commitment to competing

By next year, nearly 50% of P5 coaches will be at roughly $5mm+ after the coaching carousel stops spinning
    While money does not guarantee success, it certainly increases the likelihood
    As my mom used to say: Penny wise but pound foolish

The time for taking a flyer on a low-cost provider is over; there is too much at risk including the potential loss of conference affiliation
    Pay market and at least demonstrate a true commitment to competing
    I don't think any of us is advocating going for a low cost provider. Let's identify our man and see what the market rate proves to be...I certainly agree that salaries are escalating at a crazy rate, but I don't $5 M is absolutely required quite yet.
    What we can't afford is for The Tower to empty out as it seems to be now...who wants to pay very big bucks to see our current product?