Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    I'm glad that I live far enough away to conclude that this is a game I can afford to miss...I don't learn a ton watching us beat up on A&T or NCCU...a couple of keepers the next two weeks, though, with NW and Kansas.

Remember, afternoon games in September are brutal and unbearable.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Remember, afternoon games in September are brutal and unbearable.
    yes, that's like forgetting a root canal. It all depends upon when the ESPN gods dictate we play...at least I (finally) had the good sense to relocate to the West side a few years ago so we get shade fairly early in the gane,,,of the Kansas and NW games, at least one will probably be a nooner...

ESPN normally announces the first 3 weeks in May or June, but the only reason I think we did this was for the ACCN or sadly ACCNX coverage. While the ACCN did have some afternoon weekday basketball games this year, I think that was probably due to COVID restrictions that will not be present for football. 7PM night game is my best guess for parking purposes, and 2020 doesn't suggest overwhelming attendance to create a parking problem.

IMO, KS is the one that screams September FSS noon game based on the schedule.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    As of right now, Duke is on the cover photo of ESPN.com. Of course it leads into a "plus" story, and I'm not paying to see if any of our guys are mentioned, but it's still nice to see. (We are playing and chasing VT)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As of right now, Duke is on the cover photo of ESPN.com. Of course it leads into a "plus" story, and I'm not paying to see if any of our guys are mentioned, but it's still nice to see. (We are playing and chasing VT)
    yeah, nice metaphor for our season, our guys futilely chasing a Va Tech running back. The next year or two are going to be interesting.

Pics or it didn't happen (for those who might miss it before the put something else up).

Who is that wearing #0?

I have ESPN+ via my Disney+/Hulu bundle so I'll report back later with any Duke players mentioned.

Edit: The forum failed to embed the image (gave me some error about number of characters), but it did attach the image twice so I guess that's good enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, nice metaphor for our season, our guys futilely chasing a Va Tech running back. The next year or two are going to be interesting.
    Yep. The photo is highlighting the VT running back Khalil Herbert. Nothing about any Duke guys (but I still want to know what the story was with the guy wearing #0. I feel like I vaguely remember it but can't pin down what happened).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I have ESPN+ via my Disney+/Hulu bundle so I'll report back later with any Duke players mentioned.
    Well it never dawned on me that I could log in with that bundle info, ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yep. The photo is highlighting the VT running back Khalil Herbert. Nothing about any Duke guys (but I still want to know what the story was with the guy wearing #0. I feel like I vaguely remember it but can't pin down what happened).
    wasn't number 0 Waters, who has since defected?

wasn't number 0 Waters, who has since defected?
    Yes, it was Waters who switched his number from 10 to 0 before the start of the 2020 season.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Horrible news!
    I'll take a Friday night game in September over a noon Saturday game every single time!

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson215 View Post
    I'll take a Friday night game in September over a noon Saturday game every single time!
    Tougher for the out-of-towners, but I understand.

-jk

It is hard to commute from out of state because I have a job, my daughter has a job and my grandson goes to school.
    Bob Green

generally speaking I'd agree, but these A&T and NCCU games have been pretty useless to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    ESPN normally announces the first 3 weeks in May or June, but the only reason I think we did this was for the ACCN or sadly ACCNX coverage. While the ACCN did have some afternoon weekday basketball games this year, I think that was probably due to COVID restrictions that will not be present for football. 7PM night game is my best guess for parking purposes, and 2020 doesn't suggest overwhelming attendance to create a parking problem.

IMO, KS is the one that screams September FSS noon game based on the schedule.
    generally speaking I'd agree, but these A&T and NCCU games have been pretty useless to watch...
    Friday night games tend to be a mess for parking, so to have a new crew handling one as their very first game isn't promising. Nobody had to worry about it in 2020, but now that it is 2021 and people are craving for a bit of normalcy, I expect a really good crowd. And while A&T/NCCU doesn't give us much to watch in terms of the best football, the crowds are almost always among the largest of the season. (Especially if/when they combine it with employee day.)

If Duke is allowing full capacity, I will not be surprised to see WW looking pretty packed.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Friday night games tend to be a mess for parking, so to have a new crew handling one as their very first game isn't promising. Nobody had to worry about it in 2020, but now that it is 2021 and people are craving for a bit of normalcy, I expect a really good crowd. And while A&T/NCCU doesn't give us much to watch in terms of the best football, the crowds are almost always among the largest of the season. (Especially if/when they combine it with employee day.)

If Duke is allowing full capacity, I will not be surprised to see WW looking pretty packed.
    Watching how Duke handles parking each year is a true adventure. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it is absolutely world class inept. People tend to be assigned to stand in front of various lots, but they often have NO idea what to do. Wannamaker Drive can be a veritable black hole of incompetence.

If only Duke had access to a really good traffic engineer! Someone with experience mitigating and managing congestion.

-jk

Seems like the appropriate thread to post two items regarding former Duke football players.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers have just announced the addition of Thad Lewis to the coaching staff. I believe he will be the assistant receivers coach.
    Recently the Bucs announced that they had resigned Ross Cockrell as their fourth cornerback. He was a mid or late season addition this past season. He has signed a two year deal for a little more than $2 million. I don't know whether that includes incentives or whether there may be some in addition. The general comments about Cockrell after he joined last season were generally pretty complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedweb View Post
    Seems like the appropriate thread to post two items regarding former Duke football players.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers have just announced the addition of Thad Lewis to the coaching staff. I believe he will be the assistant receivers coach.
    Recently the Bucs announced that they had resigned Ross Cockrell as their fourth cornerback. He was a mid or late season addition this past season. He has signed a two year deal for a little more than $2 million. I don't know whether that includes incentives or whether there may be some in addition. The general comments about Cockrell after he joined last season were generally pretty complimentary.
    Thad Lewis went from basically getting hired as an intern in July of 2020 to a generic offensive assistant/support staff role after the season, and now a couple months later he's promoted to an actual (assistant) position coach role. Very cool, I can see him ascending the ranks in fairly short order. I realize there wasn't much to celebrate about those squads but I wish we would find excuses to bring back some of those players and celebrate them (like the various little intermission things they already do with other groups/teams at games). Very cool for Thad.

Also glad to see Ross Cockrell hanging around in the league still. Wish he would have stuck with my Panthers but I wish him the best with the Buccs.