Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 112
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm skeptical of Mark's ability to execute to those standards against bigger stronger teams. So from that perspective, his adjusted numbers are great because he has been limited to minutes in which he can succeed, instead of suggesting that he should play more.

    I'm not saying he SHOULDN'T play more, and I think he will be a critical piece on future teams, and maybe even this year...but I also don't think I can confidently say that last night's game was a revelation or anything.
    we'll need him to play to something approaching last night's level when we play UNC, who has 3 useful bigs. Bacot is a brute, Sharpe has been excellent, and although he's had a down year overall, Brooks is still a capable and experienced player.
    In fact, we'll need the whole team to improve on what we saw last night if Duke is to beat UNC, let alone FSU (if that game gets played) or UVa. If we were to get the performance we got last night vs. 'Ville in the rematch, i think we could win that game.
    I'm not alone in this sentiment, but up until last night, i don't think i had seen this team grow at all during the course of the (weird as it may be) year. I saw some things last night that indicated the team is growing up. Started off well, ie., we didn't dig ourselves into a big hole right away. Finished the 1st half well, although we didn't start the 2nd half particularly strong. And even though we gave up a double digit lead by reverting back to a bunch of bad habits, Johnson, Hurt and JGold all stepped up and righted the ship. Finally, we made winning plays at winning time like JJ stripping Alvarado and then going coast to coast, JJ getting back to back and-1 plays, which he also converted.
    One thing that wasn't super yet did not cost the team much: FT shooting from Hurt and Johnson. Both shot ok from the line, but Hurt in particular missed 2 FTs in clutch time, Steward did not however. Which actually reveals something important: DJ Steward might be the one who needs the ball in his hands near the end of the game and not Hurt. Finally, JGold played like a leader, and a winner. His play, and the very sub-par play from Roach, made it clear that he needed to be in the game at crunch time and he made good plays at crunch time. Roach still has a lot of work to do to become a PG, let alone an ACC-level PG. He's got skill and is good at attacking, but he is not a gifted passer. He reminds me somewhat of Sean Dockery, although Dock was not quite as skilled at scoring off the dribble. 2 strait games with no points and a total of 2 assists.
    Looking forward to seeing if this team can use this game to grow from and take care of business vs. Clemson.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes- K is limping. A combination of age and aging hardware. He had hip replacement more than 20 years ago and then his knees more recently. Not sure if the hips may need new hardware at some point.
    If the hip surgery was that long ago then he's probably due for an update. From what I hear the tech has improved - something for the rest of us to look forward to (NOT!).

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC

    The circus 3.

    When Parham made that circus 3 pointer and brought GT back to 60-59 Duke, I thought well here we go again. However, the guys proved me wrong. At the 3:48 mark, Alvarado makes 2 FTs and puts Tech up 61-60. At the 3:49 mark, JJ get's a layup and one, Duke 63-61. Then Alvarado makes a 3 and it's GT 64-63. Then at the 2:57 mark, JJ get's another layup and one, Duke up 66-64. At the 2:39 mark, JJ blocks a shot but GT get's a 2nd chance make. Tied 66-66. At the 2:13 mark, Matthew makes a jumper Duke goes up 68-66. At the 1:21 mark, JJ makes one of two FTs, Duke 69-66. Then at the 1:01 mark, Goldy makes maybe the play of the game where he steals the ball from Alvarado and makes two fouls shots and Duke goes up 71:68. After that, Hurt makes 1 of 2 Fts, Duke 72-68, DJ makes 2 of 2 Duke 74-68 and Hurt closes it out with another 1 of 2 FTs for final score: Duke 75 GT 68. If you thought Goldwire had a good game you're dead wrong. Jordan had a fantastic game. He made clutch plays down the stretch. Not only on defense but on offense as well. He had a Jon Scheyer type game. Nothing flashy just winning basketball. A tip of the hat to Coach K for cutting back Roach's minutes and giving them to Goldy, 35 minutes and Jordan 16 minutes. Another good K move was to give Williams 12 minutes. Mark made the most of them, 6 points and 6 rebounds(3 offensive). JJ, Matthew and DJ had very good games as well. A good team win with Goldwire getting my vote for MOM(if we had one).

    GoDuke!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    When Parham made that circus 3 pointer and brought GT back to 60-59 Duke, I thought well here we go again. However, the guys proved me wrong. At the 3:48 mark, Alvarado makes 2 FTs and puts Tech up 61-60. At the 3:49 mark, JJ get's a layup and one, Duke 63-61. Then Alvarado makes a 3 and it's GT 64-63. Then at the 2:57 mark, JJ get's another layup and one, Duke up 66-64. At the 2:39 mark, JJ blocks a shot but GT get's a 2nd chance make. Tied 66-66. At the 2:13 mark, Matthew makes a jumper Duke goes up 68-66. At the 1:21 mark, JJ makes one of two FTs, Duke 69-66. Then at the 1:01 mark, Goldy makes maybe the play of the game where he steals the ball from Alvarado and makes two fouls shots and Duke goes up 71:68. After that, Hurt makes 1 of 2 Fts, Duke 72-68, DJ makes 2 of 2 Duke 74-68 and Hurt closes it out with another 1 of 2 FTs for final score: Duke 75 GT 68. If you thought Goldwire had a good game you're dead wrong. Jordan had a fantastic game. He made clutch plays down the stretch. Not only on defense but on offense as well. He had a Jon Scheyer type game. Nothing flashy just winning basketball. A tip of the hat to Coach K for cutting back Roach's minutes and giving them to Goldy, 35 minutes and Jordan 16 minutes. Another good K move was to give Williams 12 minutes. Mark made the most of them, 6 points and 6 rebounds(3 offensive). JJ, Matthew and DJ had very good games as well. A good team win with Goldwire getting my vote for MOM(if we had one).

    GoDuke!
    I'm sure you weren't alone in think that. In fact, in the game thread, a few of the responses were comical (including one poster saying "ballgame").

    It certainly COULD have been a backbreaker. But the team responded very well down the stretch.

    I think the team may be starting to figure things out. Per Torvik, that was our third best performance of the season, and by far the best performance we've had against a top-50 opponent.

    The biggest questions moving forward for me are as follows:
    - Can Hurt and Johnson build off the chemistry they seemed to find late in the second half? If so, this group gets really interesting on offense. I've been saying for weeks that those two guys should be a dynamite pairing on offense, but until last night it really hadn't materialized. Well, late game last night was a bit more magical as the two worked really well off each other.
    - Can Roach learn from the performance by Goldwire? That's what we need from Roach: timely drives, tough defense, minimal perimeter shooting, ball security. I am hopeful that Roach learns the lesson soon, because while Goldwire was terrific tonight I'm not sure he can be counted on consistently like that. But in the meantime, I'm ok with a reduced role for Roach until he starts to figure it out.
    - Moore reverted back to the wild drives again last night. Can he bounce back to the off-ball role that was fairly effective in recent games?
    - Will we continue to see a piecemeal approach to the third big spot? Last night, Williams took his opportunity with aplomb. Earlier in the season it was Brakefield. We may just be playing it by ear with our backup bigs. And as long as the two studs can stay on the floor and Moore, maybe that's okay.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Athens, GA

    "New" Stat Acronyms: FD and BA

    Great win last night!

    Just noticed these "new" acronyms on the official stat sheet: FD(Fouls Drawn) and BA(Blocks Against), but suspect the NBA has been using these for a while.

    Matthew Hurt drew 7 of GT's 17 fouls.

    Let's go, Duke.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm sure you weren't alone in think that. In fact, in the game thread, a few of the responses were comical (including one poster saying "ballgame").

    It certainly COULD have been a backbreaker. But the team responded very well down the stretch.

    I think the team may be starting to figure things out. Per Torvik, that was our third best performance of the season, and by far the best performance we've had against a top-50 opponent.

    The biggest questions moving forward for me are as follows:
    - Can Hurt and Johnson build off the chemistry they seemed to find late in the second half? If so, this group gets really interesting on offense. I've been saying for weeks that those two guys should be a dynamite pairing on offense, but until last night it really hadn't materialized. Well, late game last night was a bit more magical as the two worked really well off each other.
    - Can Roach learn from the performance by Goldwire? That's what we need from Roach: timely drives, tough defense, minimal perimeter shooting, ball security. I am hopeful that Roach learns the lesson soon, because while Goldwire was terrific tonight I'm not sure he can be counted on consistently like that. But in the meantime, I'm ok with a reduced role for Roach until he starts to figure it out.
    - Moore reverted back to the wild drives again last night. Can he bounce back to the off-ball role that was fairly effective in recent games?
    - Will we continue to see a piecemeal approach to the third big spot? Last night, Williams took his opportunity with aplomb. Earlier in the season it was Brakefield. We may just be playing it by ear with our backup bigs. And as long as the two studs can stay on the floor and Moore, maybe that's okay.
    I agree with everything you posted and I'll just add;

    The team shot 16 three pointers. DJ 3-6, Hurt 1-4 Goldy= 1-1. Roach was a 0-3 from three and continues his bad shooting. The opponents are giving him open threes for a reason. He needs to pass them up and get the ball to others. FTs; DJ was 6-6, Hurt and JJ were both 4-6. Assists; Jordan was 7-1 A/TO. DJ was 3-0 A/TO. Of our 14 turnovers, Moore had 4, JJ had 3, Hurt had 2 and Roach had 2. The 11 offensive rebounds was another good stat for Duke. Williams had 3 of those. Right now Roach is not doing much to contribute to the team. We need him to step up and play better, especially if he's getting 15+ minutes. He needs to do something positive in his minutes if Duke is going to reach it's ceiling.

    GoDuke!

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree with everything you posted and I'll just add;

    The team shot 16 three pointers. DJ 3-6, Hurt 1-4 Goldy= 1-1. Roach was a 0-3 from three and continues his bad shooting. The opponents are giving him open threes for a reason. He needs to pass them up and get the ball to others. FTs; DJ was 6-6, Hurt and JJ were both 4-6. Assists; Jordan was 7-1 A/TO. DJ was 3-0 A/TO. Of our 14 turnovers, Moore had 4, JJ had 3, Hurt had 2 and Roach had 2. The 11 offensive rebounds was another good stat for Duke. Williams had 3 of those. Right now Roach is going doing much to contribute to the team. We need him to step up and play better if he's getting 15+ minutes. He needs to do something positive in his minutes if Duke is going to reach it's ceiling.

    GoDuke!
    Right, for all the admiration of Goldwire - and he deserves it!! - we need Roach or Moore to play well... otherwise you have Hurt / Johnson / Goldwire?(can he consistently do that)? / Steward ... but that last position is lacking in offense w Moore (handle?) and Roach (shot selection / need more assists here) - someone has to take reigns and want to be the fifth guy

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morganton, NC
    Have not read thru all the posts, if this has been covered, let's do it again.

    It was super to see the team enthusiasm with the win. Coaches, players, staff-may I say exuberant? I am sure it felt like a weight had been lifted and it was really great to see their sheer joy.

  9. #69
    Got a tad nervous during the second half. Nice games by Jalen, DJ, JGold, Matt and a pleasant cameo by Mark. I am not as down on Jeremy's game as many of you seem to be. He definitely did not play well. Wendell had a dreadful game. Henry, Jaemyn and Joey made unremarkable appearances, though Jaemyn looks like he's gunning for the title of resident Duke big man who falls for no reason that has been vacant since Chase Jeter left.

    I thought the defense was spectacular in the first half. In the second, GT toasted Duke with the high screen. This seems to be an Achilles heel for Duke. I don't know if it's the players or the scheme but Duke has been getting burned by that for a few seasons now. Alvarado was 7-7 at the rim. At least 2 of those were from fast breaks but the rest were off the high screen.

    The offense looked good at times and really stagnant at other times. Some of that seemed due to GT's switching D.

    I really like watching Jalen in the open court. Dude's amazing.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Slight disagreement. We also defended pretty well and shot 2s really well. And forced Tech (who doesn't turn the ball over) to commit 11 turnovers.
    We saw an entirely different team than in all previous games. Our D was remarkably different and better. Williams was very effective in altering shots away from the bucket-excellent help/switch work showing a lot more energy and confidence. He will have to play a lot of minutes against UNCHEATS for us to prevail although I fear his youth will lead to fouling out. Steward also played harder/better on D. Hurt did not commit/avoided stupid fouls like he has been doing. JJ needs to follow suit and learn he canít go coast to coast whenever he wants at this level. Rebounding looked like a different team than all season due to much better effort and execution on D.
    Game gives hope for rest of season.

  11. #71
    Nice win and good to see the blue devils close out the game like that. Johnson had a huge second half and I thought Goldwire really came up big for us. Hurt was solid as was Steward and Mark Williams played his best half of bb at Duke in the first half, giving us a huge boost. Moore might not be having a great scoring season but his defense and leadership last night was critical. Maybe they can use this game as a springboard and right the ship and play well enough to get to the ncaa tourney. Right now, that would be a successful season, at least for this young team.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chapel Hill

    Consistency next

    With three viable scoring threats, Duke is arguably as good as anyone in the ACC (lower bar than usual). The problem is, Hurt is the only scoring threat who we have any reason to expect to show up every game. The next step is for Johnson to play without foul trouble and at a reasonably high level every game. There is a lot of room for hope on the foul trouble front because a good number of his fouls, for example both of the first half fouls against Ga Tech, are self inflicted errors. He's good and trending up. He's going to be there.

    Then there is the third threat. I think we are to the point at which we have to accept that this is going to be Steward or no one. For awhile it seemed like this third scorer could be scorer by committee. Moore, Steward, Roach, hopefully Baker, Brakefield rotating in and out of this role. Now, as much because of the under performance of everyone else as because of Steward's strong showing last night, it seems like DJ is that guy. This is even compelling should his three point shooting percentage kind of revert to something in the low 40s.
    GTHC

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Jalen Winslow...

    As I said in a previous thread, Jalen seems to have an incredible ability to create his own shot either by running the point or in transition. I thought we would see him at the head of the offense more last night and we did. He is almost unguardable in the open-court, much like Justice Winslow was a few years back. He just needs stronger hands and to clean up his turnovers and he could put up 20 and 10 every night. He's that good. Right Jason?

  14. #74

    Maybe a small thing...But

    I noticed that the guys, perhaps for the first time, came together more naturally after fouls to huddle up in a circle; and talk about things. In past games that I watched this season, it appeared that huddling up was not that natural and some guys on the floor tended to walk around alone after stoppage of plays as opposed to coming together. Similarly, it appeared that guys were more quick to help each other get up after being fouled and falling down.

    I know this may seem like trivial things but after watching K's teams for years, those little things appeared to me as signs a Duke team was connected and had good chemistry on the court. Seeing that happen more naturally last night and hopefully continuing to build in games to follow, leads me to believe that this team is coming together and starting to build communication and chemistry on the court; and becoming a real team and not just a group of individuals.

    That said, they still have to work on their communication on defense, especially when it comes to ball screens; but even that I felt improved over the course of the second half and at the end of the game.

    I like where this team is going; I just hope there is still enough time and games for them to "get it" and make the NCAA tournament.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    With three viable scoring threats, Duke is arguably as good as anyone in the ACC (lower bar than usual). The problem is, Hurt is the only scoring threat who we have any reason to expect to show up every game. The next step is for Johnson to play without foul trouble and at a reasonably high level every game. There is a lot of room for hope on the foul trouble front because a good number of his fouls, for example both of the first half fouls against Ga Tech, are self inflicted errors. He's good and trending up. He's going to be there.

    Then there is the third threat. I think we are to the point at which we have to accept that this is going to be Steward or no one. For awhile it seemed like this third scorer could be scorer by committee. Moore, Steward, Roach, hopefully Baker, Brakefield rotating in and out of this role. Now, as much because of the under performance of everyone else as because of Steward's strong showing last night, it seems like DJ is that guy. This is even compelling should his three point shooting percentage kind of revert to something in the low 40s.
    Worth noting that Steward has scored 13+ points in 7 of the last 8 games. He's been a pretty reliable 3rd option for us. I'm at the point of expecting him to perform solidly.

    Johnson has been generally impactful on offense as well. If we take out the 4-minute appearance at Va Tech when he was clearly on a minutes restriction, Johnson has averaged 14.1 ppg. As you said, the only question for him is availability. If he can avoid getting in foul trouble, he's going to score in double figures. Aside from the clunker against Illinois, he's been pretty consistently effective at scoring when on the floor. The other question for him is limiting turnovers. He was a bit out of control against Louisville. For the most part, though, he's managed that part of his game better.

    So we're really talking about a 4th threat now. And as you note, after those 2 and Hurt, it's definitely a mixed bag.

    Roach has been on a real roller coaster as a scorer this season. For the 5-game stretch from Illinois through Va Tech, he was fantastic as a scorer, averaging 14.6 ppg (scoring at least 12 in all of them) and shooting 26-60 from the field. That guy would be fantastic with the trio above. Unfortunately, the other five games have been really rough: 5.8 ppg, scoring more than 6 points just once, and shooting 10-35. That won't do, and explains why he played one of his lowest minute totals of the season last night. He has been a complete nonfactor the last two games, and has stopped driving altogether (5 of his 6 FGA, all misses, have been from 3). He is clearly a work in progress, but needs to have better situational awareness and make better decisions. He needs to be an attack-the-rim guy who feasts off poor rotation rather than a catch-and-shoot guy.

    Wendell Moore has been even more feast or famine. He's scored four or fewer 4 times and 15+ twice. The concerning thing is that he seemed to get back into the habit of trying to drive again last night, after a couple of solid games as an off-ball player. If he can be the guy who was solid against Pitt and Louisville, that's what we need from him.

    I fear that the Brakefield ship has sailed at this point. He had a really nice 4 game run early, but has disappeared since. The last 3 games he's played basically as much as Henry Coleman. Coleman feels like a better rebounder and defender, and given the return of Johnson I suspect that Brakefield's role will be more limited moving forward.

    Goldwire probably needs to be in the discussion as well. He has quietly scored 9+ points in 5 of the 8 games against major conference opponents, and is averaging 8 ppg in ACC play. If you take out the game where he barely played (4 points in just 9 minutes against Pitt), he's averaged close to 8.7 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2.7 spg, and just 1 turnover per game, shooting 45.8% from the field. I don't envision him being a major scoring threat, but he's holding his own out there.

    Basically, I see the team with 3 clear offensive weapons (two of them 1st Team All-ACC caliber), a very solid and consistent 3rd option, a solid and reliable role player, and then two talented but very inconsistent wildcards. If either Moore or Roach (ideally both) can settle in as role players on offense, things look good. If they keep being trigger-happy (Roach) or ballhandling-happy (Moore), they become problematic on offense.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Devil View Post
    As I said in a previous thread, Jalen seems to have an incredible ability to create his own shot either by running the point or in transition. I thought we would see him at the head of the offense more last night and we did. He is almost unguardable in the open-court, much like Justice Winslow was a few years back. He just needs stronger hands and to clean up his turnovers and he could put up 20 and 10 every night. He's that good. Right Jason?
    "These guys just seem like they can't get out of their own way. Still wondering what Roach does well? Struggles to finish at the rim, can't shot, makes bad passes... How about we put Gold and Steward up top with Moore and Brakefield or Baker on the wings. The offense is a pathetic pass around the perimeter and then chunk a three or force a pass inside. It's shocking how few Duke players can actually create their own shot. Sad actually."

    "My lord, we have nobody that can finish at the rim on the break. It's weird having a Duke roster with one person that can actually finish hard at the rim. Just wow."

    "The big question is, what does this team do well? And the answer is sadly nothing. No on court leadership, no alpha dog, average defense, average shooting g on a good night and they are STAGGERINGLY UNATHLETHIC. itís just a poorly assembled roster with multiple players who do the same things. Another casualty of Kíís One and Done strategy that continues to prove it is a poor substitute for actually developing a program and team. NIT here we come!"

    "We canít shoot. Canít create our own shots. Turn the ball over recklessly and struggle to finish at the rim. Itís tough remembering a Duke team that looks this anemic on offense. Iím at a loss. They look like they are moving in quicksand."

    "Two wide open 3's that could have given us separation... Boink. Just tough to put into words how bad this team really is. They are trying, but they are really, really not very good. And that is a fact. Anyone waiting for some growth or magic to happen where they hit a next level, I feel sorry for you. They are who they are."

    "Ball Game
    SMDH..." (when we were up 60-59 with about 10 minutes left)

    Maybe you should refrain from posting in the game threads? Your comments in the game threads belie your comments outside of the game threads. I get the frustration when the team struggles, but some of those comments are just way over the top.

    As to your assessment of Johnson, I don't agree that he should play PG but the offense should indeed go through him and Hurt. Folks have been saying that for a while. Johnson is certainly our most talented all-around player (Hurt the most talented scorer thanks to his shooting ability, Johnson the best all-around player). Johnson's off-dribble passing and ball security aren't strong enough to be the PG, but as a high-post facilitator he can be quite effective. And he can be really effective in transition.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Have not read thru all the posts, if this has been covered, let's do it again.

    It was super to see the team enthusiasm with the win. Coaches, players, staff-may I say exuberant? I am sure it felt like a weight had been lifted and it was really great to see their sheer joy.
    It was so great to see Coach K and the team celebrating on the sideline in the closing seconds.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As to your assessment of Johnson, I don't agree that he should play PG but the offense should indeed go through him and Hurt.
    Instead of saying he should "play PG" I would instead phrase it as he should "initiate the offense." We don't need him bringing the ball down the court against a set defense, but in the half court he should have the ball in his hands and either initiate from the perimeter or receive in the high post and make reads from there. We've had plenty of big wings over the years who have played this role without being the nominal point guard.

    A couple of things that we DIDN'T do stand out to me - first off we only attempted 16 threes as opposed to the 23.6 that we average on the season. This team needs to recognize that launching threes is not our strength, it shouldn't be the first thing we look for and just because a guy is open doesn't mean he has to fire away. We do have guys who can score in the midrange and are improving at getting to the bucket. So taking only good looks from deep was a big improvement (we had several wide open looks that didn't go down including at least two from Hurt and one from Baker, which are good shots IMO).

    The other thing I noticed on a couple key possessions down the stretch was that our help defender did NOT over rotate and double team the ball handler. Too often we send a help defender to come flying in and trying to get a block, leaving his man wide under the basket for a dump off or a follow dunk. But we did a good job staying home and trusting our primary defender, allowing the secondary defender to maintain position and secure the rebound. A small thing that won't make the SC Top 10, but the type of plays that make the difference between winning and losing.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Basically, I see the team with 3 clear offensive weapons (two of them 1st Team All-ACC caliber), a very solid and consistent 3rd option, a solid and reliable role player, and then two talented but very inconsistent wildcards. If either Moore or Roach (ideally both) can settle in as role players on offense, things look good. If they keep being trigger-happy (Roach) or ballhandling-happy (Moore), they become problematic on offense.
    Couldn't agree more, though I'd add trigger-happy to Wendell as well since he doesn't seem to be shooting anything well which is a tad surprising given his FT shooting.

    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ... as a high-post facilitator he (Jalen) can be quite effective. And he can be really effective in transition.
    I was wondering why Duke didn't use Matt as the high-post facilitator, essentially flipping Jalen and Matt. Matt seems more likely to effectively shoot from range while Jalen seems more comfortable in the post.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Basically, I see the team with 3 clear offensive weapons (two of them 1st Team All-ACC caliber), a very solid and consistent 3rd option, a solid and reliable role player, and then two talented but very inconsistent wildcards. If either Moore or Roach (ideally both) can settle in as role players on offense, things look good. If they keep being trigger-happy (Roach) or ballhandling-happy (Moore), they become problematic on offense.
    Overall i think your post was pretty much spot-on. I would amend it to add that Moore is also being too trigger happy. Perhaps he shoots lights out in practice, but in games his offensive utility really craters if he's shooting jumpers of any sort. The one thing he actually does really well is FT shooting, which would he would get a lot more of if he could simply focus on cutting to the rim to get a pass and score. Even if he doesn't get a pass, he might still be in the area for an offensive rebound, something he also does reasonably well.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke 77, Va Tech 63 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 12-12-2019, 06:22 PM
  2. MBB: Va Tech 64, Duke 63 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 416
    Last Post: 02-28-2018, 12:46 PM
  3. MBB: Duke 80, Ga Tech 71 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 09:59 PM
  4. Duke MBB v. Ga Tech Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM
  5. Duke MBB v GA Tech post-game thread
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •