Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    This ^ has driven me nuts watching the games. The announcers either talk about their playing days, make jokes about each other, now back to that nutty 90' walk and never give useful information. They failed to mention when Jalen Johnson went into the game after returning from his injury. Since there's zero noise from the fans, I've just muted the TV. At least I don't have to listen to Corey Alexander tell me how good he was.

GoDuke!
    The announcers are not physically at the games, for the most part; I don’t know what information they’re fed from the arena, but if they have to rely on the audio that we hear, I can understand why they don’t give more information on fouls and the like. They’re also distracted by having to pay attention to their partner and director ques. Much of of off-topic talk is probably because that’s easier than a true running commentary on the game. Now, more so than before.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I might have been watching a different broadcast, but what I remember is that the announcers were completely shocked by the fact that he entered the game, even though he had traveled with the team and was listed as active. Like, they had no idea he was even healthy enough to play. I totally agree about their detachment from the game though, we'll do things like switch from a zone to M2M or hit our first three after missing all night and they won't even mention it. I wonder how much the quietness of the stadium messes them up, like they're accustomed to having the gaps filled in with crowd noise but since that's not there they feel like they have to talk nonstop about whatever.
    Or they'll say something like "Brakefield now into the game for Duke" even though he came in at the same time as Roach and it was three possessions earlier.

There is no excuse that it's because they are not in the building. I'm not in the building, either, but I can see when substitutions are made, when fouls are called, etc.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    The recorded fan noise is absolute BS. Not good under any circumstances. It's phony. Why?
    The recorded fan noise for TV is BS, agreed, if that's it's only for TV. I'm wondering if the fan noise is also in Cameron. And if it is, is it good or not? But regardless, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure there's no such noise in Cameron. Too many rules to figure out, coaches might complain if it is misused against the visiting team.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The announcers are not physically at the games, for the most part; I don’t know what information they’re fed from the arena, but if they have to rely on the audio that we hear, I can understand why they don’t give more information on fouls and the like. They’re also distracted by having to pay attention to their partner and director ques. Much of of off-topic talk is probably because that’s easier than a true running commentary on the game. Now, more so than before.
    I've been thinking that I wanted a radio broadcast so that I didn't have to hear the useless chatter from the announcers. IMO the Tech game was particularly bad. But what does radio do? Does radio get to have their guys in person? In years past prior to streaming, one could often turn the TV volume down and turn the radio on. I haven't tried it lately, but streaming tends to get out of sync with real time, so I don't know if that would work as well now.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I wish Duke would allow in fans who have been vaccinated. Two weeks after my second dose of vaccine will be 2/24. There’s only one home game after that but I’d love to attend. I’m sure others will be safe earlier and would love to attend games. Why not?
    because it's not yet known whether people who have been vaccinated can still transmit. And the vaccine is only 95% effective. And you really think the department is going to deal with that logistics? Eat the cost of bringing in guest services and security, plus vetting individuals.

It's not going to happen.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    because it's not yet known whether people who have been vaccinated can still transmit. And the vaccine is only 95% effective. And you really think the department is going to deal with that logistics? Eat the cost of bringing in guest services and security, plus vetting individuals.

Not to get off-topic as this is already covered in the COVID thread, but "only" 95% ?!? The approved vaccines were 100% effective at reducing serious COVID in their Phase 3 trials. 95% includes those 5% that had mild symptoms, and reducing COVID to like a cold or flu is a major success. The vaccines are on par with polio, measles, chickenpox in being one of the most effective vaccines ever developed in history by mankind. As experts are saying "we are seriously underselling this."

(Note that PERHAPS some of the variants could mess with the above -- we don't know completely yet. And we also know that there is not a single virus known that prevents infection but not transmission per some experts much smarter than me, so if that's the case with COVID, it would be the first...).

Finally, some stadiums have been allowing in UNVACCINATED people throughout this. So, clearly that is riskier than letting in vaccinated people.

Having said all the above, I agree that Duke is not going to do it, and it adds logistical challenges which Duke is not going to want to do. So, this is all a moot point.

The WWE has had by far the best solution that I've seen. They've put video monitors in the stadium seats with the volume on and then held one giant Zoom meeting with their fans on those monitors.

It looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

From the "sticky" on the OT board:
    Must read this morning -- not for its depth but for its simplicity -- is the NYTimes Morning Briefing.

Right now, public discussion of the vaccines is full of warnings about their limitations: They’re not 100 percent effective. Even vaccinated people may be able to spread the virus. And people shouldn’t change their behavior once they get their shots.

These warnings have a basis in truth, just as it’s true that masks are imperfect. But the sum total of the warnings is misleading, as I heard from multiple doctors and epidemiologists last week.

Here’s my best attempt at summarizing what we know:

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines — the only two approved in the U.S. — are among the best vaccines ever created, with effectiveness rates of about 95 percent after two doses. That’s on par with the vaccines for chickenpox and measles. And a vaccine doesn’t even need to be so effective to reduce cases sharply and crush a pandemic.
    If anything, the 95 percent number understates the effectiveness, because it counts anyone who came down with a mild case of Covid-19 as a failure. But turning Covid into a typical flu — as the vaccines evidently did for most of the remaining 5 percent — is actually a success. Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.
    Although no rigorous study has yet analyzed whether vaccinated people can spread the virus, it would be surprising if they did. “If there is an example of a vaccine in widespread clinical use that has this selective effect — prevents disease but not infection — I can’t think of one!” Dr. Paul Sax of Harvard has written in The New England Journal of Medicine. (And, no, exclamation points are not common in medical journals.) On Twitter, Dr. Monica Gandhi of the University of California, San Francisco, argued: “Please be assured that YOU ARE SAFE after vaccine from what matters — disease and spreading.”
    The risks for vaccinated people are still not zero, because almost nothing in the real world is zero risk. A tiny percentage of people may have allergic reactions. And I’ll be eager to see what the studies on post-vaccination spread eventually show. But the evidence so far suggests that the vaccines are akin to a cure.

Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013