Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Court & Fans

In such an abnormal year, it's interesting personally for me watching games on TV without fans in attendance and all that they bring. It's interesting because if you had asked me how much impact not having fans there-cheering, screaming, urging their players on, etc., I would have said that it wouldn't make a big difference in the at-home experience. But I must say that I was wrong. I find that I'm not as drawn into watching our games as I was in years past. Maybe because it almost feels like the games are scrimmages against the other teams, but it has totally changed my perspective. Maybe too it's that I'm getting a little older and a bit further away from my college experiences, but I don't really think that's the case. I would say that this has affected my watching of other sports as well, but I've seen the biggest difference in my interest in college basketball.

Obviously having fans in attendance adds a lot to the experience. The fans bring all the excitement to games, which really is contagious. And it (was) always fun watching the players feed off that (Ryan Kelly comes to mind v. Miami). I'm sure the players would say it doesn't affect their game too much, but I think otherwise. I hope we can all get over this soon and get fans back in the stadiums where we belong!

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    In such an abnormal year, it's interesting personally for me watching games on TV without fans in attendance and all that they bring. It's interesting because if you had asked me how much impact not having fans there-cheering, screaming, urging their players on, etc., I would have said that it wouldn't make a big difference in the at-home experience. But I must say that I was wrong. I find that I'm not as drawn into watching our games as I was in years past. Maybe because it almost feels like the games are scrimmages against the other teams, but it has totally changed my perspective. Maybe too it's that I'm getting a little older and a bit further away from my college experiences, but I don't really think that's the case. I would say that this has affected my watching of other sports as well, but I've seen the biggest difference in my interest in college basketball.

Obviously having fans in attendance adds a lot to the experience. The fans bring all the excitement to games, which really is contagious. And it (was) always fun watching the players feed off that (Ryan Kelly comes to mind v. Miami). I'm sure the players would say it doesn't affect their game too much, but I think otherwise. I hope we can all get over this soon and get fans back in the stadiums where we belong!
    I think fans give players energy on D and can create an environment that makes some player be more self aware and hence more prone to mistakes. The fans help to make college basketball fun- plus I enjoy going. This is a really off year in many ways.

When I watch games that are played in Cameron I tend to pay waaay too much attention to the crowd - whether they are doing their job, staying active, recognizing effort and smart plays, and cheering when the team needs it instead of just reacting to good plays. It's kind of a sickness. So I agree that watching broadcasts in empty gyms is just weird and not as engaging. Usually when we're on the road and the other team goes on a run, I worry about the crowd going crazy and how that will affect the team, but that's just not a factor. I can't imagine what it's like for the players - even throughout high school most of the have always had a crowd to play for.

I first noticed this in the NBA bubble last summer and was surprised by how pronounced the effect was. At that level I assumed the crowd wasn't as much of an issue for the players, but it really did seem to affect their games.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post

I agree with everything you said except "the players would say it doesn't affect their game." I think players that have experienced Cameron would absolutely say no fans has had an effect, but they wouldn't want to make that an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree with everything you said except "the players would say it doesn't affect their game." I think players that have experienced Cameron would absolutely say no fans has had an effect, but they wouldn't want to make that an excuse.
    I read that last sentence like five or six times, and I am having a hard time with it. Is this what you are saying:

I think players who have played in Cameron would absolutely say "No, fans do have an effect on the game," albeit those players wouldn't want to use the fans as an excuse for losing a game to Duke.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I read that last sentence like five or six times, and I am having a hard time with it. Is this what you are saying:

I think players who have played in Cameron would absolutely say "No, fans do have an effect on the game," albeit those players wouldn't want to use the fans as an excuse for losing a game to Duke.
    Apologies if my statement wasn't clear. Yes, I was suggesting that players who have experienced Cameron with fans would definitely say that Cameron without fans this year is quite different for them. However, they wouldn't flatly state that having no fans decreases their quality of play because that would suggest that they need external motivators rather than being intrinsically motivated. So, perhaps it's a nuanced view.

I'm finding that I'm hardly watching ANY college bball games this season. I haven't watched a single one of any team from start to finish, and rarely stick around for more than a few minutes. It would be interesting to see what the tv ratings are this year as compared to others. Unless their teams are doing really well this year, I can't imagine most college fans are anywhere near as interested in this bizarre season. Even the announcers aren't physically in attendance for some of these games. Without fans in the stands, it just seems like a ghost of a season to me. I'm sure the effort is there by the players, but the appeal of college basketball is the over-all atmosphere and inter-action with the crowd, and a huge part of that formula is not there now. (If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?)

Did anyone have this problem? The fake crowd noise was so persistently loud that the color guy, who mumbled a bit, was hard to understand. Talk about a self-inflicted wound!

Or, maybe just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    I'm finding that I'm hardly watching ANY college bball games this season. I haven't watched a single one of any team from start to finish, and rarely stick around for more than a few minutes. It would be interesting to see what the tv ratings are this year as compared to others. Unless their teams are doing really well this year, I can't imagine most college fans are anywhere near as interested in this bizarre season. Even the announcers aren't physically in attendance for some of these games. Without fans in the stands, it just seems like a ghost of a season to me. I'm sure the effort is there by the players, but the appeal of college basketball is the over-all atmosphere and inter-action with the crowd, and a huge part of that formula is not there now. (If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?)
    Im in the same boat. I have been rewatching my kids entire football season.

The lack of fans is certainly an issue to me from a game watching perspective. Throw in the cancellations, postponements, etc., and I've found it hard to watch sports in general during the pandemic. I usually watch the NFL, non-Duke NCAAMB and NBA regularly, and throw in the USMNT/WNT soccer teams, but now that is at a nadir for my lifetime. The games are just not the same at all. I am watching the Devils play hoops though, about the same as before. To me, that shows what game really matters to me. That being said, it is just weird to watch sports without any crowds of significance. For some games where there are some limited crowds, the games seem more "real". Of course, I wonder how many people might get sick from the lack of social distancing, yelling, etc. Somebody's grandma will probably fall ill (yeah, I know that would happen normally with, say, the flu, but still...), so that does detract as well.

I'm not sure if the recorded fan noise is good or not. I was wondering if the noise was from ESPN or from Cameron. Anyone know? When the 49ers played here in Santa Clara, a friend told me that they had no noise in the stadium, but on TV there was fake fan noise. Duke could be really creative and get somebody to run noise in Cameron, much like they have in games like baseball. They could have the "See ya!" chants when someone fouls out, "air ball" when appropriate, and general "Let's Go Duke!" recordings. Perhaps throw in "We beg to differ!". It would have to be done appropriately and tastefully, of course.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    The lack of fans is certainly an issue to me from a game watching perspective. Throw in the cancellations, postponements, etc., and I've found it hard to watch sports in general during the pandemic. I usually watch the NFL, non-Duke NCAAMB and NBA regularly, and throw in the USMNT/WNT soccer teams, but now that is at a nadir for my lifetime. The games are just not the same at all. I am watching the Devils play hoops though, about the same as before. To me, that shows what game really matters to me. That being said, it is just weird to watch sports without any crowds of significance. For some games where there are some limited crowds, the games seem more "real". Of course, I wonder how many people might get sick from the lack of social distancing, yelling, etc. Somebody's grandma will probably fall ill (yeah, I know that would happen normally with, say, the flu, but still...), so that does detract as well.

I'm not sure if the recorded fan noise is good or not. I was wondering if the noise was from ESPN or from Cameron. Anyone know? When the 49ers played here in Santa Clara, a friend told me that they had no noise in the stadium, but on TV there was fake fan noise. Duke could be really creative and get somebody to run noise in Cameron, much like they have in games like baseball. They could have the "See ya!" chants when someone fouls out, "air ball" when appropriate, and general "Let's Go Duke!" recordings. Perhaps throw in "We beg to differ!". It would have to be done appropriately and tastefully, of course.

9F
    I think there are some rules regarding piped in noise during gameplay in particular. Not sure if it's changed this year though. Don't know the answer to your question for sure, but I'm guessing TV pipes in the noise and it's not actually in the stadium.

I wish Duke would allow in fans who have been vaccinated. Two weeks after my second dose of vaccine will be 2/24. There’s only one home game after that but I’d love to attend. I’m sure others will be safe earlier and would love to attend games. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Did anyone have this problem? The fake crowd noise was so persistently loud that the color guy, who mumbled a bit, was hard to understand. Talk about a self-inflicted wound!

Or, maybe just me...
    Yes, same for me - if you are referring to the Duke game Tuesday night. And I have fairly decent home theater speakers. I seem to recall noticing it on one or two earlier games in Cameron. Annoying, although for certain announcers, not being able to hear them is a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    The recorded fan noise is absolute BS. Not good under any circumstances. It's phony. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Yes, same for me - if you are referring to the Duke game Tuesday night. And I have fairly decent home theater speakers. I seem to recall noticing it on one or two earlier games in Cameron. Annoying, although for certain announcers, not being able to hear them is a plus!
    If the announcers would give useful info, I might notice. If they never tell us what the call was, or who the foul was on, or how many that is for the player or team. They’re just part of the crowd noise to me.

-jk

Actually, as some of us may remember, years ago (1980s I'd guess) NBC tried showing an NFL game, Miami and someone else I believe, that if fact did just that. No announcers, just on the screen showed down and yardage to go, a clock and score of course, and just the atmospheric feel with full crowd and player noise. I loved it... made me think more and pay better attention to the game. Evidently, the rest of the world hated it, and it was never repeated, alas. It would be harder to do with basketball, I'd think, but the Brits used to be far better in only speaking when necessary in their coverage of games, and feeling there was nothing wrong with quiet. Now they seem to have adopted the constant yammering, whether helpful or not. Sigh.

But then, maybe "Two point four seconds remaining. Hill. Laettner. Good. Game over." might be a bit underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I wish Duke would allow in fans who have been vaccinated. Two weeks after my second dose of vaccine will be 2/24. There’s only one home game after that but I’d love to attend. I’m sure others will be safe earlier and would love to attend games. Why not?
    Sounds good in theory but hosting a game requires a whole lot more than just opening the doors - you need security, people to work the gates, people to clean, etc. And you'd need a reliable way to verify that people had actually been vaccinated, because unfortunately we can't just trust people to be honest about it. Even if they could charge an exhorbitant about of money per ticket (which they could, except that they would be heavily criticized for it) I think there are just too many logistic hurdles to making it happen.

I do see that some other stadiums do allow some fans so I guess it's possible. But I still have a hard time seeing how it would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    If the announcers would give useful info, I might notice. If they never tell us what the call was, or who the foul was on, or how many that is for the player or team. They’re just part of the crowd noise to me.

-jk
    This ^ has driven me nuts watching the games. The announcers either talk about their playing days, make jokes about each other, now back to that nutty 90' walk and never give useful information. They failed to mention when Jalen Johnson went into the game after returning from his injury. Since there's zero noise from the fans, I've just muted the TV. At least I don't have to listen to Corey Alexander tell me how good he was.

GoDuke!

Watching the UNC game with no fans is going to be really painful. No matter what, the crowd always delivers in that game. I also feel bad for the students - the years we play the home game first are always easier campout years since it's a shorter amount of time. Even the obligatory shots of K-ville before each game after the calendar turns are sorely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    This ^ has driven me nuts watching the games. The announcers either talk about their playing days, make jokes about each other, now back to that nutty 90' walk and never give useful information. They failed to mention when Jalen Johnson went into the game after returning from his injury.
    I might have been watching a different broadcast, but what I remember is that the announcers were completely shocked by the fact that he entered the game, even though he had traveled with the team and was listed as active. Like, they had no idea he was even healthy enough to play. I totally agree about their detachment from the game though, we'll do things like switch from a zone to M2M or hit our first three after missing all night and they won't even mention it. I wonder how much the quietness of the stadium messes them up, like they're accustomed to having the gaps filled in with crowd noise but since that's not there they feel like they have to talk nonstop about whatever.