Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I have to say, I'm getting f'ing annoyed at some of these stories about what you can and cannot do once you are vaccinated.

Like, there is a story on CNN right now about it. And the first thing they say is that the vaccine isn't 100 percent proof, so you should still wear a mask.

Well, yeah, no kidding. The flu vaccine isn't either. Is the argument really going to be that everyone wears a mask all the time forever now, because the vaccine will never be 100% protection?

They also say "Well, not everyone's body will react to the vaccine the same way."

Again, no kidding. So... everyone will wear masks forever?

Then they talk about seeing someone who is fully vaccinated unmasked inside and say "Oh, well, there is risk."

Wait... there is risk if both of you are fully vaccinated? Sure. But that risk will basically ALWAYS exist, so again, unless you are arguing for masks forever...

I get that the media has to be cautious because people are idiots. I also get that, until LOTS more people get the vaccine, it will be "out there" more.

But man, some of these things about what to do once you are vaccinated... they seem over the top.
    Yeah, I fully agree with this. It’s frustrating. At some point this will all change but who knows when that breaking point will be. Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know I'm not pleased if I go in a store and find unmasked people, so as long as the epidemic is revved up, I plan on wearing a mask, otherwise how do others know I've been vaccinated? Should I wear a badge?
    Microsoft has an app to track all the microchips that are injected with the serum, so you can check that way. I'll try to find a link to it.

I have to say, I'm getting f'ing annoyed at some of these stories about what you can and cannot do once you are vaccinated.

Like, there is a story on CNN right now about it. And the first thing they say is that the vaccine isn't 100 percent proof, so you should still wear a mask.

Well, yeah, no kidding. The flu vaccine isn't either. Is the argument really going to be that everyone wears a mask all the time forever now, because the vaccine will never be 100% protection?

They also say "Well, not everyone's body will react to the vaccine the same way."

Then they talk about seeing someone who is fully vaccinated unmasked inside and say "Oh, well, there is risk."

Wait... there is risk if both of you are fully vaccinated? Sure. But that risk will basically ALWAYS exist, so again, unless you are arguing for masks forever...

I get that the media has to be cautious because people are idiots. I also get that, until LOTS more people get the vaccine, it will be "out there" more.

But man, some of these things about what to do once you are vaccinated... they seem over the top.
    I share some of your concerns but I disagree with you on the continued wearing of masks after vaccination. Although it may not be individually necessary, it is necessary to help stores and institutions enforce health measures for and to protect those who are not vaccinated. So, wear a mask.

The other cautionary measures under the heading "nothing has changed" even though you have received both vaccine doses and waited two weeks, is IMHO (where the H disappeared when the needles came out) bad advice. The level of protection is not just 95 percent; it is is close to 100 percent for serious illness and death. What's worse, saying, "Nothing has changed," reduces the incentive to get the vaccine. There's gotta be a truly justified carrot for those waiting for a vaccine.

By the way, there are extra doses in our town in some locations, so the need is apparently being met.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know I'm not pleased if I go in a store and find unmasked people, so as long as the epidemic is revved up, I plan on wearing a mask, otherwise how do others know I've been vaccinated? Should I wear a badge?

It doesn't seem like a big deal to literally keep up appearances until the threat subsides substantially (whenever that may be).

Of course, I don't have a jab yet, so this is all theoretical...
    Well, I assume you are partly joking. But I do keep reading that "vaccinated" folk may still be able to transmit. Which confuses me, but likely others here will be able to clarify.

Regardless, multiple sources have said it will be valuable to keep wearing your mask in public. You would not need to wear one if you were, so to say, in a cabin with family members who are also vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Microsoft has an app to track all the microchips that are injected with the serum, so you can check that way. I'll try to find a link to it.
    Rabblerouser!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, I assume you are partly joking. But I do keep reading that "vaccinated" folk may still be able to transmit. Which confuses me, but likely others here will be able to clarify.
    My understanding is that the vaccines are protective against severe disease (symptoms) but may not be protective from infection and mild disease. I assume that being infected with zero or mild symptoms may translate to being contagious and needing to be masked to protect other, unvaccinated persons.

After receiving my second dose, I plan to continue wearing a mask except for small gatherings of friends who have also been vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I share some of your concerns but I disagree with you on the continued wearing of masks after vaccination. Although it may not be individually necessary, it is necessary to help stores and institutions enforce health measures for and to protect those who are not vaccinated. So, wear a mask.

The other cautionary measures under the heading "nothing has changed" even though you have received both vaccine doses and waited two weeks, is IMHO (where the H disappeared when the needles came out) bad advice. The level of protection is not just 95 percent; it is is close to 100 percent for serious illness and death. What's worse, saying, "Nothing has changed," reduces the incentive to get the vaccine. There's gotta be a truly justified carrot for those waiting for a vaccine.

By the way, there are extra doses in our town in some locations, so the need is apparently being met.
    Oh, wearing it in public, primarily as a social signal of "wear masks" and "I'm being safe", as well as some safety for yourself, I get.

But, like, if I am going to visit a family member, and the two of us are both two weeks past vaccine #2, and we are alone in the house, and we take reasonable precautions in public... I don't see why we would be wearing masks, you know?

Regardless, multiple sources have said it will be valuable to keep wearing your mask in public. You would not need to wear one if you were, so to say, in a cabin with family members who are also vaccinated.
    No, can't say I'm joking. To clarify though, if I and my (aged) friends get the jabs as we expect in the next month or two, we'll gladly get together, have events, dinners, etc.

But I'll still wear a mask in public, otherwise how do people know I don't pose much of a threat, if any?

Yes, this x100. Wholeheartedly agree. We as humans are not very good at risk assessments, so I think the media et al veer on being "ultra safe" vs. the opposite. But I think the truth and being realistic is better.

For why we sometimes suck at logical decision-making/risk assessments as humans, I'd recommend Duke professor Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational." Great book.

No, can't say I'm joking. To clarify though, if I and my (aged) friends get the jabs as we expect in the next month or two, we'll gladly get together, have events, dinners, etc.

But I'll still wear a mask in public, otherwise how do people know I don't pose much of a threat, if any?
    Right. I can see "I've been vaccinated" becoming the new "I have a health condition."

You are coming around. It is ALL over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Rabblerouser!
    Guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

At some point, it has to all stop though. We can’t do this forever. What’s going to be the tipping point? 80% vaccinated? What about if another strain becomes dominant that the vaccine doesn’t work against? It seemed like the vaccine was the light at the end of the tunnel but it really isn’t if we have to stay masked up and distanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You are coming around. It is ALL over the top.
    No, it's not ALL over the top. The bottom line is that a lot of people are misinformed (sadly, purposely sometimes) and will make poor decisions if given a choice. Is if over the top to expect people to wear a mask at a friends house? Yeah. If you and your friends are comfortable in private because you are either vaccinated or feel that these friends are safe enough put put in your bubble, great, do what you want. But for now, we still need to wear masks and be careful in public and keep public gatherings to a minimum, etc. At this point, it's relatively short term. With vaccinations being rolled out we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Also note, that mentioning the flu vaccine is just not a good idea. Covid is not the flu and it's not a good comp at all...in fact it's one of the tools that have been used to misinform people.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    At some point, it has to all stop though. We can’t do this forever. What’s going to be the tipping point? 80% vaccinated? What about if another strain becomes dominant that the vaccine doesn’t work against? It seemed like the vaccine was the light at the end of the tunnel but it really isn’t if we have to stay masked up and distanced.
    So, how would you recommend a retail shop discern between people who have received the vaccine and aren't wearing masks and people who are just ornery?

I agree...I would seriously not be surprised if we now see masks for YEARS during flu (COVID?) season in the winter, as well as when people are on flights and the like...The cat is out of the bag. People have been wearing masks in certain Asian countries for quite a while although that's primarily due to pollution is my understanding. Going to take a while for people to adjust back, if ever. Same with social distancing. I wonder if illnesses/general sickness will go way down. The thing I'm worried about is the social-emotional development of young children in these circumstances who will be ingrained that getting near anybody is a BAD BAD thing to do. Not healthy for their development, unfortunately. My two year old already is partially uneasy of going outside the house without a mask.

Of course, I also agree with the above points that vaccinated people to still mask up in public because of social cues/standards and not knowing who is vaccinated or not. And simply to continue to reinforce its importance FOR NOW.

Then you have these idiots, holding up a mass vaccination site with their stupidity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...test-facebook/

Got my Pfizer vaccine an hour ago (postponed from Monday due to our 3" of blizzard). A very slightly sore arm, but otherwise so far, so good.

-jk

So, how would you recommend a retail shop discern between people who have received the vaccine and aren't wearing masks and people who are just ornery?
    I’m not sure of the right answer but at some point it all has to be over. My little kids have suffered so much. Eventually we will have to accept that a small percentage of people will die from covid even after vaccinations have been available. What percent is the “right” percent? No clue.

This make me look like I am a covidiot but I’m not. My family has done everything correctly over the last year and my wife and I are both in the process of getting our second covid shot.
    Last edited by LasVegas; 02-03-2021 at 11:39 AM.

I’m not sure of the right answer but at some point it all has to be over. My little kids have suffered so much. Eventually we will have to accept that a small percentage of people will die from covid even after vaccinations have been available. What percent is the “right” percent? No clue.

This make me look like I am a covidiot but I’m not. My family has done everything correctly over the last year and my wife and I are both in the process of getting our second covid shot.
    I imagine at some point the CDC will "call" it, and only those who are compromised in some way will be encouraged to be masked, for their own safety rather than community safety. States and cities will continue to do their own thing, though.

-jk