Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

No

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    A guy that I grew up with is now claiming on Facebook that his family had religious exemptions for vaccines all through grade school. So, of course, he is not getting the COVID shot. I do not remember that even being an option when I was in school. He could be lying, who knows.
    Someone on Facebook lying? What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    A guy that I grew up with is now claiming on Facebook that his family had religious exemptions for vaccines all through grade school. So, of course, he is not getting the COVID shot. I do not remember that even being an option when I was in school. He could be lying, who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Someone on Facebook lying? What is the world coming to?
    "All 50 states have legislation requiring specified vaccines for students. Although exemptions vary from state to state, all school immunization laws grant exemptions to children for medical reasons. There are 45 states and Washington D.C. that grant religious exemptions for people who have religious objections to immunizations. Currently, 15 states allow philosophical exemptions for children whose parents object to immunizations because of personal, moral or other beliefs."
    https://www.ncsl.org/research/health...tate-laws.aspx

So, he's not necessarily lying...Only CA, NY, MS, WV, and ME don't offer any exemptions. Interesting that there's two super red, two super blue, and a solid blue state in the mix there.

In USA Today I saw a guy from Missouri (age 75) argue that heaven is a wonderful place, so why would he take a vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    In USA Today I saw a guy from Missouri (age 75) argue that heaven is a wonderful place, so why would he take a vaccine?
    Hopefully heaven is. I mean isn’t that we all secretly hope for? But the Earth can be a pretty nice place as well. Truthfully it sounds as if Mr Missouri hasn’t suffered too many infirmities, nor had to rely on a family member for support while battling a debilitating disease. I wondered if he has considered more expedient routes to heaven. Dying by COVID is just so dang inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Hopefully heaven is. I mean isn’t that we all secretly hope for? But the Earth can be a pretty nice place as well. Truthfully it sounds as if Mr Missouri hasn’t suffered too many infirmities, nor had to rely on a family member for support while battling a debilitating disease. I wondered if he has considered more expedient routes to heaven. Dying by COVID is just so dang inefficient.
    no matter where I end up, I don't want a ventilator on my schnozz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    "All 50 states have legislation requiring specified vaccines for students. Although exemptions vary from state to state, all school immunization laws grant exemptions to children for medical reasons. There are 45 states and Washington D.C. that grant religious exemptions for people who have religious objections to immunizations. Currently, 15 states allow philosophical exemptions for children whose parents object to immunizations because of personal, moral or other beliefs."

So, he's not necessarily lying...Only CA, NY, MS, WV, and ME don't offer any exemptions. Interesting that there's two super red, two super blue, and a solid blue state in the mix there.
    Yes, but I'm talking about the 70s when I was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Hopefully Mr. Missouri doesn't infect a loved one who isn't quite ready to learn whether heaven is so nice.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

#2 today.

What a difference three weeks makes. I stood in line 45 minutes in the cold (40's) for the first, breezed right through (0 wait) today when it is in the 70's here in OH-IO.

Having had a serious bout in July, I'm hoping this shot causes no reactions.

Getting #2 tomorrow. Laid in soup, crackers, ginger ale in case we get the reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Getting #2 tomorrow. Laid in soup, crackers, ginger ale in case we get the reactions.
    I didn't eat a thing all day, then fed like a razorback just before bedtime...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    What is the theory for those who choose not to get the vaccine ? Is it truly that they're putting a chip ( CIA ) inside you ? Is it that it took a year to make ( to quick ) ?Couldn't better science of today be part of the reason for it taking less time ?
    Some other reason ? Is it a political choice ? Of those I know that won't get the vaccine, more have right leaning views that left leaning views,, but I know some from both sides of the isle.

Most of have received Chicken Pox, Measles, Polio , Mumps, Rubella , Diphtheria vaccines . But hold up a stop sign for Covid 19 ,, "oh no,, you're not putting that in me "
    I have heard it all from the vaccine hesitant. You have named several.

1) It's not even a vaccine! This one, for some reason, is incredibly popular. I can't even remotely understand the logic behind the argument, but it goes something like this, "a vaccine, by definition, PREVENTS INFECTION. This does not prevent infection. Therefore, it is not a vaccine." So many holes, it's hard to know where to start, but I'd start by saying that most vaccines do not prevent infection. They are designed to prevent DISEASE. Also, if the anti-vaxxers hate vaccines so much, wouldn't it HELP their cause to call this one a vaccine? Then they could just say, "I don't like any vaccines, so I'm not taking this one." Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot with this argument.

2) It hasn't been approved by the FDA! This one makes a little bit more sense, although a lot of the anti-vaxx crowd has no problem using or even being proponents of other things that are also not approved by the FDA, like, for example, hydroxychloroquine for Covid, lol. A lot of these people take echinacea, and St. John's wort, and even homeopathic remedies that are not even close to having FDA approval, so I'm not sure why FDA approval is so important in this particular case. Seems to me like they are using this argument just because it sounds like a reasonable argument. It's not. If we were not in the middle of a global pandemic, the FDA would have taken its time to review the studies and would have given full approval eventually. We just needed the vaccine to get out sooner, so they gave it an EUA, instead.

3) It's experimental, and I won't be a guinea pig! Technically, it's not really experimental now. The experiments were done already. Telling these people this fact does nothing to persuade them.

4) They made it WAY too fast! The argument here is that rapidity equals slip-shod, which isn't true in this case. The vaccines were in phase 1 experiments back in February of 2020 when most people were barely aware that there was a new virus afoot, well before conference basketball tournaments were canceled. Also, a lot of the time savings were in not having to wait for full FDA approval, and, most importantly, pressing forward with massive production during the time the FDA was reviewing the trial data.

5) It's a brand new technology! This is a variant of the "guinea pig" argument. While it is true that no prior vaccine was based on mRNA technology, this idea has been in development and preclinical studies for a couple of decades.

6) It's genetic material, therefore it will alter your DNA! A lot of people are espousing this one, which just displays a basic misunderstanding of how mRNA functions and what RNases are. There is zero possibility of this happening, but if you meet someone who enjoys this theory, there is nothing you can say that will change their mind.

7) The vaccine contains a microchip; the government/big business/big brother is just trying to track you! This one is particularly amusing, especially given that it is a favorite of people who pretty much spend their whole lives posting everything they do, everything they eat, and everywhere they go on social media. A subtext of this particular argument is that the entire pandemic is fictional, and/or deliberate ("plandemic") in order to get you to accept this chip. This chip, together with 5G, is going to be the end of society as we know it.

8) The vaccine is dangerous; lots of people have died from getting it! This one is gaining momentum as reports are appearing about people who passed away in temporal proximity to getting the vaccine. The fact that an extremely small percentage of people who got the AstraZeneca vaccine has suffered blood clots is not helping, either. Most anti-vaxxers are not necessarily getting into the nitty-gritty about different types of vaccines. For example, even to consider the idea/possibility that blood clotting could be an extremely rare adverse reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine but not the Johnson and Johnson, the Pfizer, or the Moderna vaccines is a bridge too far for these people.

There are others, but those are the main ones. Some Christians, and Catholics in particular, object to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine because the company utilized a cell line that was derived from an aborted fetus decades ago.

There are other arguments, but these are the ones I have heard most commonly.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I have heard it all from the vaccine hesitant. You have named several.

1) It's not even a vaccine! This one, for some reason, is incredibly popular. I can't even remotely understand the logic behind the argument, but it goes something like this, "a vaccine, by definition, PREVENTS INFECTION. This does not prevent infection. Therefore, it is not a vaccine." So many holes, it's hard to know where to start, but I'd start by saying that most vaccines do not prevent infection. They are designed to prevent DISEASE. Also, if the anti-vaxxers hate vaccines so much, wouldn't it HELP their cause to call this one a vaccine? Then they could just say, "I don't like any vaccines, so I'm not taking this one." Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot with this argument.

2) It hasn't been approved by the FDA! This one makes a little bit more sense, although a lot of the anti-vaxx crowd has no problem using or even being proponents of other things that are also not approved by the FDA, like, for example, hydroxychloroquine for Covid, lol. A lot of these people take echinacea, and St. John's wort, and even homeopathic remedies that are not even close to having FDA approval, so I'm not sure why FDA approval is so important in this particular case. Seems to me like they are using this argument just because it sounds like a reasonable argument. It's not. If we were not in the middle of a global pandemic, the FDA would have taken its time to review the studies and would have given full approval eventually. We just needed the vaccine to get out sooner, so they gave it an EUA, instead.

3) It's experimental, and I won't be a guinea pig! Technically, it's not really experimental now. The experiments were done already. Telling these people this fact does nothing to persuade them.

4) They made it WAY too fast! The argument here is that rapidity equals slip-shod, which isn't true in this case. The vaccines were in phase 1 experiments back in February of 2020 when most people were barely aware that there was a new virus afoot, well before conference basketball tournaments were canceled. Also, a lot of the time savings were in not having to wait for full FDA approval, and, most importantly, pressing forward with massive production during the time the FDA was reviewing the trial data.

5) It's a brand new technology! This is a variant of the "guinea pig" argument. While it is true that no prior vaccine was based on mRNA technology, this idea has been in development and preclinical studies for a couple of decades.

6) It's genetic material, therefore it will alter your DNA! A lot of people are espousing this one, which just displays a basic misunderstanding of how mRNA functions and what RNases are. There is zero possibility of this happening, but if you meet someone who enjoys this theory, there is nothing you can say that will change their mind.

7) The vaccine contains a microchip; the government/big business/big brother is just trying to track you! This one is particularly amusing, especially given that it is a favorite of people who pretty much spend their whole lives posting everything they do, everything they eat, and everywhere they go on social media. A subtext of this particular argument is that the entire pandemic is fictional, and/or deliberate ("plandemic") in order to get you to accept this chip. This chip, together with 5G, is going to be the end of society as we know it.

8) The vaccine is dangerous; lots of people have died from getting it! This one is gaining momentum as reports are appearing about people who passed away in temporal proximity to getting the vaccine. The fact that an extremely small percentage of people who got the AstraZeneca vaccine has suffered blood clots is not helping, either. Most anti-vaxxers are not necessarily getting into the nitty-gritty about different types of vaccines. For example, even to consider the idea/possibility that blood clotting could be an extremely rare adverse reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine but not the Johnson and Johnson, the Pfizer, or the Moderna vaccines is a bridge too far for these people.

There are others, but those are the main ones. Some Christians, and Catholics in particular, object to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine because the company utilized a cell line that was derived from an aborted fetus decades ago.

There are other arguments, but these are the ones I have heard most commonly.
    tl;dr They're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

When I last looked it up, Mississippi had the highest vaccination rates for school kids -- i.e., very tough on exceptions.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    tl;dr They're stupid.
    Essentially, for all humans, a thought that makes you feel good is a very powerful thing.

Not sure which of the two threads this goes in, but Duke is officially requiring vaccinations for the fall, with medical and religious exemptions. Seems to be a growing trend. If they are going back to standard roommate situations, I wonder how they pair up students who are getting exemptions.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...sDPo6vd51KOJ8I

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    In the end, I was able to obtain an appointment only 5 days after becoming eligible. I'm getting my first shot next Wednesday at the Menino YMCA in Hyde Park. I don't know which one. I don't much care.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    In the end, I was able to obtain an appointment only 5 days after becoming eligible. I'm getting my first shot next Wednesday at the Menino YMCA in Hyde Park. I don't know which one. I don't much care.
    Excellent news!

Congrats!

Nice! Congratulations.

My youngest son, the one with Crohn's disease, got his second shot two days ago. It has really thrown him for a loop. I am happy that he got his vaccines, but I sure hope the poor guy feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Nice! Congratulations.

My youngest son, the one with Crohn's disease, got his second shot two days ago. It has really thrown him for a loop. I am happy that he got his vaccines, but I sure hope the poor guy feels better soon.
    Prayers for your son. Hoping he feels better soon.