Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 941
  1. #821
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    If antibiotics are indicated for a sinus infection (up to your doctor), there certainly would be no problem with antibiotics interfering with the vaccine boosting your immune response just as it should. If antibiotics are indicated for your sinus infection, you should definitely take them with no worries whatsoever about your vaccine immune response.

    Hope that helps.
    Thanks ever so much!

  2. #822
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    No real reactions. Wife has yet to get one, so we declined attending Easter dinner.
    I just want to know when I can work mask-free. I can't give or get, I have my card. I want to breathe better; I already have limited breathing issues. Not really bad, but I'm tired of the mask as I expect all of you are.
    That’s the same question I have been pondering.

    Prior to the vaccine, it was wrong to compare COVID to the common flu for several reasons. After “full immunity” is that still the case?

    It seems to me that I still need to look at community spread to assess risk, but other than that — if I do not have co-morbidities then aren’t I free to go back to the gym, eat at restaurants, etc.?

  3. #823
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Legalities of Requiring Vaccination in the Workplace

    Not sure if this has been covered in this thread or if it belongs in the other COVID thread or not, but I'l try here.

    What are the legal implications, if any, of an employer requiring an employee to be fully vaccinated before returning to the workplace, whether it be an office, a school, or other place of employment? I'm envisioning an employer saying to an employee, "We're re-opening the office. We'd love to have you join us as you always have over your X number of years of employment. But in order to do so, you must be fully vaccinated. It is a condition of employment. If you don't want to get a vaccination for whatever reason, you don't have to, but you won't be able to work here anymore?"

    Obviously in some situations, unions are involved and that would be a factor. But employers are generally able to set the terms and conditions of employment, and it seems to me this is an utterly reasonable condition of employment -- ensuring the workplace safety of all employees from transmission of a deadly virus.

    I suppose employers could, in some situations, offer employees who can show some sort of religious objection to the vaccine, to work from home. Many jobs are not conducive to that, however.

    So what do we know about the ability of employers to ensure a safe workplace by mandating vaccination of all employees?

  4. #824
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered in this thread or if it belongs in the other COVID thread or not, but I'l try here.

    What are the legal implications, if any, of an employer requiring an employee to be fully vaccinated before returning to the workplace, whether it be an office, a school, or other place of employment? I'm envisioning an employer saying to an employee, "We're re-opening the office. We'd love to have you join us as you always have over your X number of years of employment. But in order to do so, you must be fully vaccinated. It is a condition of employment. If you don't want to get a vaccination for whatever reason, you don't have to, but you won't be able to work here anymore?"

    Obviously in some situations, unions are involved and that would be a factor. But employers are generally able to set the terms and conditions of employment, and it seems to me this is an utterly reasonable condition of employment -- ensuring the workplace safety of all employees from transmission of a deadly virus.

    I suppose employers could, in some situations, offer employees who can show some sort of religious objection to the vaccine, to work from home. Many jobs are not conducive to that, however.

    So what do we know about the ability of employers to ensure a safe workplace by mandating vaccination of all employees?
    In a nutshell, an employer can require that employees be vaccinated with an approved vaccine provided that exceptions are made for health reasons and bone fide religious beliefs. The existing guidance from regulators does not necessarily apply to the currently available vaccines, which only have an “emergency use authorization,” so most employers are sitting on the sidelines on this issue right now.

  5. #825
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    In a nutshell, an employer can require that employees be vaccinated with an approved vaccine provided that exceptions are made for health reasons and bone fide religious beliefs. The existing guidance from regulators does not necessarily apply to the currently available vaccines, which only have an “emergency use authorization,” so most employers are sitting on the sidelines on this issue right now.
    I suspect that that might vary from state to state. I'm a lawyer who (until my recent retirement) represented public schools in Missouri, and I'm fully familiar with the vaccination laws in this state re: sending kids to school. Missouri has exemptions for those parents who don't want their kids vaccinated for measles, etc., either for religious reasons or for health reasons (to which a doctor has to sign off). Not all states have those exemptions. And they don't all have exemptions for those idiots who don't want to have their kids vaccinated because they saw a bigger idiot on TV saying it's bad for them.

  6. #826
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    In a nutshell, an employer can require that employees be vaccinated with an approved vaccine provided that exceptions are made for health reasons and bone fide religious beliefs. The existing guidance from regulators does not necessarily apply to the currently available vaccines, which only have an “emergency use authorization,” so most employers are sitting on the sidelines on this issue right now.
    Thanks. With the economy starting to open up, I don't imagine employers are going to want to sit on the sidelines a whole lot longer. So then the question becomes whether, or at what point, the CDC would have sufficient data on the safety of the vaccine(s) to officially "approve" the vaccine, upgrading it from the EUA status it has now. That apparently would be a game-changer in terms of employers' ability to mandate it, yes? If so, I'm sure there would be plenty of pressure applied to the CDC to make that determination.

  7. #827
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I suspect that that might vary from state to state. I'm a lawyer who (until my recent retirement) represented public schools in Missouri, and I'm fully familiar with the vaccination laws in this state re: sending kids to school. Missouri has exemptions for those parents who don't want their kids vaccinated for measles, etc., either for religious reasons or for health reasons (to which a doctor has to sign off). Not all states have those exemptions. And they don't all have exemptions for those idiots who don't want to have their kids vaccinated because they saw a bigger idiot on TV saying it's bad for them.
    The exemptions I’m referring to here come from the ADA and other Federal anti-discrimination laws and the guidance from the EEOC, so those apply in all states.

  8. #828
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Thanks. With the economy starting to open up, I don't imagine employers are going to want to sit on the sidelines a whole lot longer. So then the question becomes whether, or at what point, the CDC would have sufficient data on the safety of the vaccine(s) to officially "approve" the vaccine, upgrading it from the EUA status it has now. That apparently would be a game-changer in terms of employers' ability to mandate it, yes? If so, I'm sure there would be plenty of pressure applied to the CDC to make that determination.
    The CDC giving full approval would be a game changer in that the existing guidance from the EEOC would then apply. But that would not protect employers from being sued — it would just provide a defense. And that ignores another issue that many employers face: there are quite a few vacant jobs out there that are hard to fill.

    It’s not an easy call to make for a lot of companies and I suspect quite a few will look to incentivize vaccination rather than require it.

  9. #829
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The CDC giving full approval would be a game changer in that the existing guidance from the EEOC would then apply. But that would not protect employers from being sued — it would just provide a defense. And that ignores another issue that many employers face: there are quite a few vacant jobs out there that are hard to fill.

    It’s not an easy call to make for a lot of companies and I suspect quite a few will look to incentivize vaccination rather than require it.

    There is also a potential middle ground, where vaccination is not required for employment, but is required for certain activities (coming to an office in person, traveling to client sites, etc).

  10. #830
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I suspect that that might vary from state to state. I'm a lawyer who (until my recent retirement) represented public schools in Missouri, and I'm fully familiar with the vaccination laws in this state re: sending kids to school. Missouri has exemptions for those parents who don't want their kids vaccinated for measles, etc., either for religious reasons or for health reasons (to which a doctor has to sign off). Not all states have those exemptions. And they don't all have exemptions for those idiots who don't want to have their kids vaccinated because they saw a bigger idiot on TV saying it's bad for them.
    Honest question since you are an expert: How is that any different from a religious exemption?

  11. #831
    VA, Chesterfield County. 2nd Pfizer yesterday. No after effects. In and out in 20 minutes. Very organized. Hope other areas are as efficient.

  12. #832
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Honest question since you are an expert: How is that any different from a religious exemption?
    In general, being interviewed on television would disqualify one from being a deity worthy of worship.

    This rule does apparently have some some exceptions.

  13. #833
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Honest question since you are an expert: How is that any different from a religious exemption?
    A religious exemption would have to be grounded in some belief in a religion or supreme being, as opposed to other philosophical or political reasons.

  14. #834
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The CDC giving full approval would be a game changer in that the existing guidance from the EEOC would then apply. But that would not protect employers from being sued — it would just provide a defense. And that ignores another issue that many employers face: there are quite a few vacant jobs out there that are hard to fill.

    It’s not an easy call to make for a lot of companies and I suspect quite a few will look to incentivize vaccination rather than require it.
    Thanks. Agree incentivization will in many instances be the wiser course. If it works.

    But what is the guidance from the EEOC on this that you say would then apply? And yes someone can always file a lawsuit. Good luck though in convincing a jury -- all of whom will likely be vaccinated themselves -- that your refusal to vaccinate, and thereby risk infecting an office full of people, was reasonable, and that you couldn't have gotten another job elsewhere where it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    There is also a potential middle ground, where vaccination is not required for employment, but is required for certain activities (coming to an office in person, traveling to client sites, etc).
    True, but there are many jobs where coming in is always going to be required. You can't wait tables or work in a bricks-and-mortar retail shop, from home.

  15. #835
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    But what is the guidance from the EEOC on this that you say would then apply?
    Basically:

    * You can require that employees get approved vaccines in order to perform functions that put other employees at risk
    * Provided you make exceptions for people who can’t get the vaccine for reasons of (a) health or (b) sincerely held religious belief. I’m sure there are other exceptions, but these are the most likely to come up.

    This guidance comes into play when a vaccine is approved.

  16. #836
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    VA, Chesterfield County. 2nd Pfizer yesterday. No after effects. In and out in 20 minutes. Very organized. Hope other areas are as efficient.
    Congrats!

  17. #837
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    NY Times says Mississippi has 73,000 slots available now, demand is underwhelming...on the news last night, they mentioned that 24% of Americans don't want the vaccine...it varies by state of course, here in Vt only 12% don't want it.

  18. #838
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    NY Times says Mississippi has 73,000 slots available now, demand is underwhelming...on the news last night, they mentioned that 24% of Americans don't want the vaccine...it varies by state of course, here in Vt only 12% don't want it.
    You couldn't pay me to go to Mississippi anyway. I doubt I'll be the only one watching the states' vaccination percentages when deciding on where to vacation.

  19. #839
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    What is the theory for those who choose not to get the vaccine ? Is it truly that they're putting a chip ( CIA ) inside you ? Is it that it took a year to make ( to quick ) ?Couldn't better science of today be part of the reason for it taking less time ?
    Some other reason ? Is it a political choice ? Of those I know that won't get the vaccine, more have right leaning views that left leaning views,, but I know some from both sides of the isle.

    Most of have received Chicken Pox, Measles, Polio , Mumps, Rubella , Diphtheria vaccines . But hold up a stop sign for Covid 19 ,, "oh no,, you're not putting that in me "

  20. #840
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    What is the theory for those who choose not to get the vaccine ? Is it truly that they're putting a chip ( CIA ) inside you ? Is it that it took a year to make ( to quick ) ?Couldn't better science of today be part of the reason for it taking less time ?
    Some other reason ? Is it a political choice ? Of those I know that won't get the vaccine, more have right leaning views that left leaning views,, but I know some from both sides of the isle.

    Most of have received Chicken Pox, Measles, Polio , Mumps, Rubella , Diphtheria vaccines . But hold up a stop sign for Covid 19 ,, "oh no,, you're not putting that in me "
    A guy that I grew up with is now claiming on Facebook that his family had religious exemptions for vaccines all through grade school. So, of course, he is not getting the COVID shot. I do not remember that even being an option when I was in school. He could be lying, who knows.

Similar Threads

  1. Important information on COVID-19
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2021, 12:15 PM
  2. Shingrix vaccine
    By budwom in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 01-08-2021, 08:54 AM
  3. 2020-21 influenza vaccine
    By LasVegas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-20-2020, 09:26 PM
  4. Faceshield vs mask for covid 19...?
    By Lord Ash in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-17-2020, 05:08 PM
  5. Patrick Ewing hospitalized with COVID-19
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2020, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •