Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's an interesting counterpoint - I have assumed NC is doing well with vaccine rollout because we are about to open to all adults regardless of age. But that may also be a product of low buy in.
    Massachusetts has fully vaccinated 1.5 million people and has put over 4 million shots in arms. They have taken over number 1 in vaccination rates (number of shots in arms/number vaccines delivered to the state). They are 10th in percentage of population vaccinated. The only state ahead of Massachusetts with a larger population on the percentage of population vaccinated list is New Jersey, and they are 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Massachusetts has fully vaccinated 1.5 million people and has put over 4 million shots in arms. They have taken over number 1 in vaccination rates (number of shots in arms/number vaccines delivered to the state). They are 10th in percentage of population vaccinated. The only state ahead of Massachusetts with a larger population on the percentage of population vaccinated list is New Jersey, and they are 9th.
    And despite the very good vaccination rates of most Northeastern states, the Covid cases counts (per capita) are the highest in the country right now...NJ I believe is in second place, VT has wandered into the top 10, Massachusetts is hovering...we just have two different things happening at the same time: lots of people getting vaccinated (elders first), and lots of younger people getting infected...though the obvious good news is that few of the latter are ending up in the ICU.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And despite the very good vaccination rates of most Northeastern states, the Covid cases counts (per capita) are the highest in the country right now...NJ I believe is in second place, VT has wandered into the top 10, Massachusetts is hovering...we just have two different things happening at the same time: lots of people getting vaccinated (elders first), and lots of younger people getting infected...though the obvious good news is that few of the latter are ending up in the ICU.
    Stupid question department: Does the combination of increased vaccinations among the responsible and increased cases among the dimwits move us along to herd immunity more quickly? Because however we get there, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Stupid question department: Does the combination of increased vaccinations among the responsible and increased cases among the dimwits move us along to herd immunity more quickly? Because however we get there, I'm all for it.
    I should let the resident experts speak, but I think the answer is, at this point, unknowable. How many people will end up rejecting the vaccine, I would think that's key. Up here, I think we have achieved very high "buy in." In other states, I'm hearing much different info, e.g. Michigan:https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ty/4720328001/

25% in Michigan say they don't want the vax...(Idiot Neighbors 2 don't want the vaccine because, and this seems contradictory, "no one knows what's in it, and they can track you with it."

I don't think we get herd immunity any time soon by waiting for tons of people to get infected, but maybe i'm wrong..

50% of COVID cases nationwide are coming from four states: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and (I forget the fourth - Florida?). Pretty interesting (alarming?) that it's so concentrated. Debate whether those states should then get a more supply of vaccines to combat the surge. As of now, distribution is based on population as it has always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    50% of COVID cases nationwide are coming from four states: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and (I forget the fourth - Florida?). Pretty interesting (alarming?) that it's so concentrated. Debate whether those states should then get a more supply of vaccines to combat the surge. As of now, distribution is based on population as it has always been.
    Well, if you are giving preferential status to smokers and the overweight based on risk, it seems it would be consistent to also push the vaccine to places with higher infection rates.

(I'm not defending either of these plans, just noting the parallels)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    these states are not yet getting the benefit of warm weather...hopefully the arrival thereof will stem the tide...

Oldest state - Maine, next is New Hampshire, next is Vermont. Every New England state except Massachusetts is Top 10 and Massachusetts clocks in at 15. Once you get past the communal living groups (nursing homes, assisted living), vaccinating by age isn't the best way to address spread. Covid 19 is spreading more among younger people mostly because those are the people doing all the essential work.

Oldest state - Maine, next is New Hampshire, next is Vermont. Every New England state except Massachusetts is Top 10 and Massachusetts clocks in at 15. Once you get past the communal living groups (nursing homes, assisted living), vaccinating by age isn't the best way to address spread. Covid 19 is spreading more among younger people mostly because those are the people doing all the essential work.
    righto, they're allowing a bit more spread, but saving lives by protecting us geezers...Very very few oldsters are getting infected here, and fortunately, few of the younger people getting infected are getting seriously ill, so I think the system is working.
    Within a week or two, everyone here should be able to sign up for a shot...

righto, they're allowing a bit more spread, but saving lives by protecting us geezers...Very very few oldsters are getting infected here, and fortunately, few of the younger people getting infected are getting seriously ill, so I think the system is working.
    Within a week or two, everyone here should be able to sign up for a shot...
    April 19, same as MA. My son at UVM will be looking for a shot as soon as he is eligible.

April 19, same as MA. My son at UVM will be looking for a shot as soon as he is eligible.
    they've done a very nice job of delivering the jabs, lots of locations, very orderly process, hope he gets one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Stupid question department: Does the combination of increased vaccinations among the responsible and increased cases among the dimwits move us along to natural selection more quickly? Because however we get there, I'm all for it.
    Made a minor tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Made a minor tweak.
    Well done!

I should let the resident experts speak, but I think the answer is, at this point, unknowable. How many people will end up rejecting the vaccine, I would think that's key. Up here, I think we have achieved very high "buy in." In other states, I'm hearing much different info, e.g. Michigan:https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ty/4720328001/

25% in Michigan say they don't want the vax...(Idiot Neighbors 2 don't want the vaccine because, and this seems contradictory, "no one knows what's in it, and they can track you with it."

I don't think we get herd immunity any time soon by waiting for tons of people to get infected, but maybe i'm wrong..
    I'm sure they read this on facebook, which, you know, is ACTUALLY TRACKING YOU

Got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine this morning. Minor pain this time when they made the jab but nothing too bad. Haven’t had any side effects yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine this morning. Minor pain this time when they made the jab but nothing too bad. Haven’t had any side effects yet.
    I had the second Pfizer dose last week. Minor arm soreness - nothing else.

Wife had second Moderna dose on the same day - soreness, pain, some temperature, etc. Lasted a couple of days. Now back to normal.

Question: I got my first Pfizer vaccine shot a week ago Tuesday. But starting a couple of days ago I began to develop what I believe is a sinus infection. Running a low-grade temperature, drainage from throat and light cough. My question is, can I get antibiotics for this or would that interfere with the vaccine doing its work in my body?

Something called Our World in Data (pops up on a Google search for me when you type in how many people in North Carolina have received the covid vaccine) says we are at 18.6% fully vaccinated with 5.2M doses given and 1.95M fully vaccinated. Now open to all 16 yo and older.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Question: I got my first Pfizer vaccine shot a week ago Tuesday. But starting a couple of days ago I began to develop what I believe is a sinus infection. Running a low-grade temperature, drainage from throat and light cough. My question is, can I get antibiotics for this or would that interfere with the vaccine doing its work in my body?
    If antibiotics are indicated for a sinus infection (up to your doctor), there certainly would be no problem with antibiotics interfering with the vaccine boosting your immune response just as it should. If antibiotics are indicated for your sinus infection, you should definitely take them with no worries whatsoever about your vaccine immune response.

Hope that helps.

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot last Friday

No real reactions. Wife has yet to get one, so we declined attending Easter dinner.
    I just want to know when I can work mask-free. I can't give or get, I have my card. I want to breathe better; I already have limited breathing issues. Not really bad, but I'm tired of the mask as I expect all of you are.