Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    JFK or RFK? I’m curious to know more.
    I don't want to hijack the thread...in a nutshell (and I apologize if I get details wrong) after the crisis was over, RFK took a lot of credit for averting the crisis (he wrote a book, 13 Days...); more recent info reveals that he was not at all the voice of reason he claimed to be in his book, but rather gave hawkish advice which JFK wisely chose to ignore:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/b...j-sherwin.html

Recordings of the deliberations during the crisis were released in the 1990s and clarified lots of what happened...Martin Sherwin's book written last year seems to set the record straight.

First COVID vaccine dose

I just got my first vaccine dose (Pfizer) at my local mall inside of a Sears store that closed in December 2019. Scheduled an appt quickly last week when Florida dropped the age limit to 40+.

Very impressed with how Seminole County ran the whole affair. Signed up online through a third party app, got a QR code to store on my phone. Clear instructions from friendly volunteers to fill out paper work and where to wait. 14 minutes from walking in the door to shot in my arm.

Going to go do some push-ups and shoulder presses to try and keep my 44 year old arm from getting sore.

Also, for the DBR VAERS aficionados, my 45 year old wife got her first dose of Pfizer last Thursday and had no side effects beyond a mildly sore arm.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I just got my first vaccine dose (Pfizer) at my local mall inside of a Sears store that closed in December 2019. Scheduled an appt quickly last week when Florida dropped the age limit to 40+.

Very impressed with how Seminole County ran the whole affair. Signed up online through a third party app, got a QR code to store on my phone. Clear instructions from friendly volunteers to fill out paper work and where to wait. 14 minutes from walking in the door to shot in my arm.

Going to go do some push-ups and shoulder presses to try and keep my 44 year old arm from getting sore.

Also, for the DBR VAERS aficionados, my 45 year old wife got her first dose of Pfizer last Thursday and had no side effects beyond a mildly sore arm.
    I remember 44 fondly.

DaughterPK got the first Pfizer jab Monday, fever snd chills yesterday but ok today.

All the PKs now have one down; all of us will have both down in a few weeks!

Asking for a friend. Well, actually, my wife.

So...other than the chimpanzee theory, I haven't seen much talk about the J&J vaccine. My needle-shy spouse has both options but asks, "What do the Duke forum people say about J&J?" (I kid you not.) Can we put her mind at ease?

(And yes, my wife is also my friend -- my bestie, in fact!)

After receiving my first Pfizer dose yesterday at about 12:30 PM I had only very slight pain in the arm and then just enough of a fever to give me a restless night's sleep. But feeling better fever-wise this morning. Fingers crossed that's it for symptoms related to the first shot. Number two coming in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread...in a nutshell (and I apologize if I get details wrong) after the crisis was over, RFK took a lot of credit for averting the crisis (he wrote a book, 13 Days...); more recent info reveals that he was not at all the voice of reason he claimed to be in his book, but rather gave hawkish advice which JFK wisely chose to ignore:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/b...j-sherwin.html

Recordings of the deliberations during the crisis were released in the 1990s and clarified lots of what happened...Martin Sherwin's book written last year seems to set the record straight.
    You are correct my friend. RFK was not the leader in the peace keeping efforts in the crisis, as claimed in his book and I'm glad JFK listen to him. As for important people during those 13 days, I'd say Major, Rudolf Anderson may have been the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    So...other than the chimpanzee theory, I haven't seen much talk about the J&J vaccine. My needle-shy spouse has both options but asks, "What do the Duke forum people say about J&J?" (I kid you not.) Can we put her mind at ease?

My step-father got the J&J about two weeks ago and had zero problems with it. He's pushing 70.

J&J

I got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back on February 26, as part of participation in the two dose trial that Johnson & Johnson is running. (Both my wife and I got shots that day, but she got a placebo and I apparently got the real thing.)

I had minimal side effects – I felt like I had a very slight fever and chills that first night, but nothing else.

I feel great having had it. It makes me less nervous being around other people. For example, for several months I have been swimming at a public indoor swimming pool in DC, but I have always been very nervous about the swimmers in adjacent lanes and some of the lifeguards, who can't be bothered to have their masks go over their noses. Now, I am much more relaxed in these situations, knowing that I have very little risk of becoming seriously ill due to COVID. I'm still wearing a mask in public and avoiding close contacts with people, but I'm just more relaxed about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    My step-father got the J&J about two weeks ago and had zero problems with it. He's pushing 70.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back on February 26, as part of participation in the two dose trial that Johnson & Johnson is running. (Both my wife and I got shots that day, but she got a placebo and I apparently got the real thing.)

I had minimal side effects – I felt like I had a very slight fever and chills that first night, but nothing else.

I feel great having had it. It makes me less nervous being around other people. For example, for several months I have been swimming at a public indoor swimming pool in DC, but I have always been very nervous about the swimmers in adjacent lanes and some of the lifeguards, who can't be bothered to have their masks go over their noses. Now, I am much more relaxed in these situations, knowing that I have very little risk of becoming seriously ill due to COVID. I'm still wearing a mask in public and avoiding close contacts with people, but I'm just more relaxed about everything.
    Thank you!

My wife had a choice between Moderna and J&J and chose J&J, mostly because we had to travel an hour for the appointment. She had a mild reaction about 8 hours after injection—mild joint and body aches and generally felt crummy. She took 2 ibuprofen and went to bed an hour early. By morning she was much better and felt completely normal by lunch. For reference, she’s in her mid-40s.

You say she is needle-shy, but I and most people I have talked to barely felt the shot at all. Seriously, if that is what concerns her, the needle is nothing. Just don't look and you won't even know. I went with my mom and she looked away, then asked me if they really gave it to her b/c she felt nothing.

I barely felt the Moderna shot, and almost thought the nurse didn’t really stick me. And I hate needles too.

I felt the Pfizer shot. Both times. It did not feel good. I hate shots.
    I’m still spectacularly grateful to have gotten the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You say she is needle-shy, but I and most people I have talked to barely felt the shot at all. Seriously, if that is what concerns her, the needle is nothing. Just don't look and you won't even know. I went with my mom and she looked away, then asked me if they really gave it to her b/c she felt nothing.
    Agreed. I absolutely hate needles. I closed my eyes and looked away. First shot I barely felt it at all. Second shot I felt it for about two seconds then was fine. Another key is not to even see the needle sitting on the table. Get the the injection site, don’t look at anything, sit down, roll up your sleeve and close your eyes.

My wife had to get frequent injections for a while and her veins are very hard to find so they often jab her repeatedly. She has no sympathy for my fear of needles.

My 20 yo kid got the J&J. Was achy and had a low grade fever and chills for about 18 hours. Fine after that.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I barely felt the Moderna shot, and almost thought the nurse didn’t really stick me. And I hate needles too.
    I got the Pfizer and felt the same way. The first 10 minutes I was actually wondering if she even stuck me. But then the very slight arm pain began and I knew she really had.

Given needle shyness, I would vote J&J the better option. You don't want the cure to be anxiety producing or at least reduce the potential anxiety. I have no qualms about needles(used to donate platelets, needles in both arms for a couple hours) so that opened up my options. While I agree with others that the shot wasn't a big deal, most of the buildup/anxiety is going into the event, not the actual event itself. Save the second headache, IMHO.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed. I absolutely hate needles. I closed my eyes and looked away. First shot I barely felt it at all. Second shot I felt it for about two seconds then was fine. Another key is not to even see the needle sitting on the table. Get the the injection site, don’t look at anything, sit down, roll up your sleeve and close your eyes.

My wife had to get frequent injections for a while and her veins are very hard to find so they often jab her repeatedly. She has no sympathy for my fear of needles.
    As a diabetic for 30 years who has had eye issues requiring injections(how do you not look at a needle going in your eye?) my sympathy for needle phobic folks isn't too large(it went away a few thousand injections ago, and that's a low estimate, not an exaggeration)