Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    I guess my immune system isn't very robust. I got away with moderate arm soreness and that's about it. Two tylenol last night and I probably could have done without even that.

Mrs. Tripping got the first Pfizer shot yesterday. Sore arm. Nothing more. Dose #2 on March 20.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I guess my immune system isn't very robust. I got away with moderate arm soreness and that's about it. Two tylenol last night and I probably could have done without even that.
    I had only a slightly stronger reaction to the Moderna vaccine second dose. I prefer to look at the possible upside of the situation. Your immune system may be less likely to overreact to the virus and cause a deadly cytokine storm.

If you can bear a metaphor, perhaps the porridge in the middle is just right.

Got my first Pfizer dose this morning. 5+ hours later and I have arm soreness that's worse that a flu vaccine but not severe enough that I need to take anything. Drove an hour to get the vaccine and didn't think twice about it. I'm 50.

If you are into podcasts, this is a must listen on the pandemic and vaccines. In the Bubble, started by Andy Slavic, who is now working in the Whitehouse so currently hosted by the Chair of Medicine at UC SF.

https://www.lemonadamedia.com/show/in-the-bubble/

This one, in particular, has what you can do and should not do after the vaccine, with Caitlin Rivers @cmyeaton and Farzad Mostashari @Farzad_MD answering questions (who you should be following on twitter).

https://www.lemonadamedia.com/podcas...or-not-safe-2/

Monday's podcast on vaccines with Dr. Peter Hotez (who you should be following on twitter) was excellent - it's not yet listed on the page above, but if you subscribe you will get it or you can wait until they update the webpage.
    ~rthomas

Maryland vaccination strategy

Two friends of ours who are in their late 60s and live in Silver Spring, Maryland were having trouble making appointments to get vaccinated. (According to many around here, the Maryland rollout of vaccines has not been very good.) They finally decided to start looking at sites farther away from the Washington DC suburbs, in areas where vaccine skepticism, shall we say, is a bit higher. They ended up getting a reservation in Easton, on the Eastern shore of Maryland, about a 90 minute drive from their home. They got their shots today.

I get my second Pfizer dose tomorrow. Expecting tomorrow night/Thursday to be somewhat rough, based on my wife's experiences a few weeks back.
    Georgia is finally opening vaccinations to my educator brethren any day now. Already, I have quite a few colleagues who've gone to Tennessee or Alabama based on those states' willingness to vaccinate teachers irrespective of their state of residence.

I got my second Pfizer vaccine yesterday afternoon about 5 pm. Slight soreness at bedtime, just a bit more this morning. About the same at 4:45 pm as I type this, with no other problems. Really, it's only sore if I press on it. Been pretty much a normal day for me!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Got my first Pfizer dose this morning. 5+ hours later and I have arm soreness that's worse that a flu vaccine but not severe enough that I need to take anything. Drove an hour to get the vaccine and didn't think twice about it. I'm 50.
    I qualify monday in south carolina.
    Cant wait.

My wife is getting her first shot (Moderna) this afternoon, in Massachusetts. It has been a sh*tshow in Mass. trying to get an appointment for the shot but she finally got online yesterday (after days and hours of trying) and there was an opening today. I'm envious.

Interesting article in the WSJ about alternatives to the vaccine inoculation in the future. As long as they are available promptly, it certainly would be great!

My folks got their 2nd dose yesterday. Both are 74 and have experienced arm soreness but no other side-effects. Yesterday was also my mom’s birthday so the vaccine made her presents a bit anti-climactic.

Got my first shot (Moderna) today.

I always ask to have them administered in my dominant arm. My logic is always that it will work out the soreness quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Got my first shot (Moderna) today.

I always ask to have them administered in my dominant arm. My logic is always that it will work out the soreness quicker.
    Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of. Let's say I use both arms equally but one arm is clearly stronger than the other. Is the presence of more/less muscle better/worse for soreness? As a tennis player, my right arm/shoulder is larger than my left (not as unbalanced as it used to be back in my heyday). But I use them about equally these days...

I got #2 a little over an hour ago. The injection itself was easier than the first (I don't generally do well with injections at all). My arm is already pretty sore, not debilitatingly so but definitely noticeable.
    Much like with the first, I felt an immediate sense of gratitude and anticipatory joy. In keeping with Dr. Fauci's guidance, my wife (also vaccinated) and I will be able to have a couple of unmasked dinners with our parents soon, and I'm unbelievably excited.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I got #2 a little over an hour ago. The injection itself was easier than the first (I don't generally do well with injections at all). My arm is already pretty sore, not debilitatingly so but definitely noticeable.
    Much like with the first, I felt an immediate sense of gratitude and anticipatory joy. In keeping with Dr. Fauci's guidance, my wife (also vaccinated) and I will be able to have a couple of unmasked dinners with our parents soon, and I'm unbelievably excited.
    So glad for all of y’all that have gotten vaccinated. Only being in my mid-50’s, I’m not eligible here in FL. Just trying to stay safe until I’m able to join you folk.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So glad for all of y’all that have gotten vaccinated. Only being in my mid-50’s, I’m not eligible here in FL. Just trying to stay safe until I’m able to join you folk.
    Thanks. I'm eager for everyone to get vaccinated too, because I miss my friends and concerts and my favorite bar and just...all of it.
    I'm under the age threshold and only got my vaccine by luckily scoring an end-of-day dose that was otherwise going to be thrown out. As a teacher, I would've otherwise been eligible in Georgia as of next week.

What has two thumbs and a sore arm?

I got my shot today!!!!

My wife and I had signed up with a clinic about a half hour outside of Atlanta to get extra doses if they did not have anyone to give them to. Mrs. Jason Evans got the call on Monday and I got one today. In both cases someone who had gotten a first shot had opted out of getting a second shot so an extra dose was available.

I am very excited and know I am very lucky.

-Jason "I got Moderna... my return appointment is March 31" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What has two thumbs and a sore arm?

I got my shot today!!!!

My wife and I had signed up with a clinic about a half hour outside of Atlanta to get extra doses if they did not have anyone to give them to. Mrs. Jason Evans got the call on Monday and I got one today. In both cases someone who had gotten a first shot had opted out of getting a second shot so an extra dose was available.

I am very excited and know I am very lucky.

-Jason "I got Moderna... my return appointment is March 31" Evans
    Great to hear, JE!
    I'd be fascinated to hear someone's rationale for getting the first shot and opting out of the second. That makes no sense to me.

I'll be eligible starting March 24th according to the last NC announcement. I guess it is time to actually look into how and where to make an appointment.