Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting the Covid Vaccine

Just wondering if any of you have had symptoms after first dose. I received mine Saturday and was fine for forty-eight hours. Yesterday I developed a low-grade fever 99.6 and fatigue. My resting heart rate went from 60 Saturday to 69 today.
    Last edited by TeacherTom; 01-26-2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Typo

I didn't have any issues and it has been 48 hours.

My wife had sore lymph nodes for four or five days.

No fear... just means your immune system is doing its job

Thanks! I had a miserable night last night but temperature is normal today and feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    Thanks! I had a miserable night last night but temperature is normal today and feel great.
    Congratulations on your vaccination. I eagerly await my side effects. It sure beats the alternative.

Anecdotal evidence has shown the second shot to be a real kick in the pants.

Not that I would know...even college kids get the vaccine before I do.

Thank you, I feel extremely fortunate to have received it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    Thank you, I feel extremely fortunate to have received it.
    You deserve it. I think every teacher in America should be in the highest priority group. It’s ridiculous Lord Ash didn’t get vaccinated when his wife did.

I just want to get back in the classroom. I’ve been teaching seventh graders for fifty years and miss the live interaction with them so much.

Age Related ? Long Term

My wife and I had no symptoms. We are over 65.

A 65 or so year old friend who is a doc was one of the first persons I know to get vaccinated. He had no symptoms. His daughter, also a doc, got the vaccine and had symptoms which she attributed to her younger and stronger immune system.

On an related note, is anyone wary of the long term effect of a very novel vaccine created in an entirely new way and one without long term study? I am too old to worry about l long term. Of course we also do not know the long term impact of surviving Covid either.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

On an related note, is anyone wary of the long term effect of a very novel vaccine created in an entirely new way and one without long term study? I am too old to worry about l long term. Of course we also do not know the long term impact of surviving Covid either.

SoCal
    No, not worried at all. This technology has been under study for well over a decade. The mRNA disappears from your body in a short period of time because it is degraded naturally by RNases in your body.

It also helps that I know the principal architect of this vaccine personally, working in his lab under his tutelage for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No, not worried at all. This technology has been under study for well over a decade. The mRNA disappears from your body in a short period of time because it is degraded naturally by RNases in your body.

It also helps that I know the principal architect of this vaccine personally, working in his lab under his tutelage for two years.
    That does help, I'd think.

Both of my big toes really ache quite a bit, but keep in mind I haven't had a shot yet. I'll report back in mid March...

I got my first Moderna dose on late afternoon on Sunday... Jan 24. Pharmacist said that the second dose is Feb 20. She said that the CDC counts the day of the shot as day 1... so the 28th day is Feb 20. I would have thought that the day of the shot is day 0. So 28 days for the second dose would be Feb 21. Any comments?

Also, the first day after the shot... only had pain in the upper arm where the shot was given. Second day... only mild soreness in the arm... just enough to remind me that something happened. No other effects. Based on what has been said, I’m kinda anxious about the second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I got my first Moderna dose on late afternoon on Sunday... Jan 24. Pharmacist said that the second dose is Feb 20. She said that the CDC counts the day of the shot as day 1... so the 28th day is Feb 20. I would have thought that the day of the shot is day 0. So 28 days for the second dose would be Feb 21. Any comments?

Also, the first day after the shot... only had pain in the upper arm where the shot was given. Second day... only mild soreness in the arm... just enough to remind me that something happened. No other effects. Based on what has been said, I’m kinda anxious about the second shot.
    I had my second Moderna shot eight hours ago. Not too bad, so far. I am taking Tylenol.

My second shot was at the same time on the same day of the week four weeks after my first shot -- that's how we count 28 days up here where the air is thin.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 01-26-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I wouldn't worry about it. There is a window of effectiveness. So there is a several day window for the second shot.
    ~rthomas

Thanks to all of you. Was slightly concerned since I read stuff about the minimum is 28 days... Longer is OK. But I couldn’t find anything on how to count the days. Nice to know that there is a few days window

I can only speak to my experience. With Pfizer #1 I had a sore arm that caused no problems at all. With Pfizer #2 I had sore arm (exactly same as first shot) and trouble falling asleep that night, but honestly the symptoms were quite mild, for me. I worked full very intense schedule the day after the shot and the day after that, no problem whatsoever.

My wife also got both Pfizer doses with sore arm and that was about it for her. I realize everyone's experience is different. rsvman, as luck would have it, has a badass immune system who let him know it.

Just from my experience these symptoms were a piece of cake for us.

Sadly, I've also been seeing the direct effects of Covid in patients/families I care for. Covid, as all of you know, is not a piece of cake. I cannot convey to you how many kids I'm taking care of who's guardian/caregiver just died of Covid. I'm getting used to having that conversation - with a child, and getting better at it from having it so many times. And that scares me.

Get the vaccine. I know this board knows, but it beats the potential symptoms of the alternative.

As I mentioned in the other thread, after I got my 2nd Pfizer shot, I woke up (about 12-13 hours after shot) with chills and fever that lasted about 12-13 hours. Took ibuprofen, drank a lot of hot tea, worked from home, crashed with a final nap, and was fine. I have several co-workers who had the same response I did after the 2nd shot, and with only a sore arm the 1st shot.

Question for the community

Dukie’s Son-in-Law had a reaction to a flu shot as a child, and “almost died”. This was in the mid 1950’s, and that’s all the info we have. He has never gotten a flu shot since. He’s eligible for a COVID shot as part of group 1b here in Virginia, but is more than hesitant...

Given his history...what would you recommend?

From a 99% lurker, but 100% lover of these boards, and their citizens...
    Dukie’s Daughter