Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Music

Metal Music

As mentioned earlier today in the LTE, I find myself inexplicably thrust into a metal jag. I know next to nothing about the genre, though I have gotten some good advice from friends. Does anyone here like metal? I would like some further guidance. So far, I've been really enjoying Megadeth, plus early Metallica, some Black Sabbath, and some Judas Priest.
    Who else? I've gotten some recs for Pantera, Tool, and Alice in Chains...what albums of theirs are best? I prefer stuff that's at least somewhat melodic (though, obviously, loud and frenetic). Particularly enjoying the speed metal aspects of '80s Megadeth. Any advice?
    Also, what the hell has happened to me?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    As mentioned earlier today in the LTE, I find myself inexplicably thrust into a metal jag. I know next to nothing about the genre, though I have gotten some good advice from friends. Does anyone here like metal? I would like some further guidance. So far, I've been really enjoying Megadeth, plus early Metallica, some Black Sabbath, and some Judas Priest.
    Who else? I've gotten some recs for Pantera, Tool, and Alice in Chains...what albums of theirs are best? I prefer stuff that's at least somewhat melodic (though, obviously, loud and frenetic). Particularly enjoying the speed metal aspects of '80s Megadeth. Any advice?
    Tool is a favorite band of mine, but I wouldn't call them "metal". If you ever get the chance to see them live, don't miss it.
    (All of their albums are great, but their self titled one and Aenima are near flawless.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Tool is a favorite band of mine, but I wouldn't call them "metal". If you ever get the chance to see them live, don't miss it.
    (All of their albums are great, but their self titled one and Aenima are near flawless.)
    Ooops, my bad. Undertow. Same title as one of the songs, not the same title as the band.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Everything you need to know about Metal you can learn from the world's most unique Norwegian, Leo Moracchioli.

What would an Adele song sound like if it were metal?
    What about your favorite '80s song as metal?
    What if a musical like Frozen were metal?

Don't just read, listen to him!

Not sure what you have been listening to, but Master of Puppets is Metallica's masterpiece. Please give it a listen from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Not sure what you have been listening to, but Master of Puppets is Metallica's masterpiece. Please give it a listen from start to finish.
    Got that one yesterday. \m/

Got that one yesterday. \m/
    I am a huge Metallica fan. Saw them live 6 times in the last 2 years alone. I would highly recommend getting a live album such as Live Sh*t Binge and Purge or the more recent Through the Never to fully appreciate them. I know you said you liked the early stuff but don't discount the most recent release, Hardwired to Self Destruct, which in my opinion is their best work since the Black album.

This was from a show in Louisville this past March...
    IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg

If you ever get the chance to see them live don't miss it. I've seen a lot of concerts and there is nothing like a Metallica show.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I grew up in the 80s and went to what could accurately be described as a Heavy Metal High School...a mix of white and blue collar, very ethnically white, kind of where the suburbs starts to turn into the sticks, etc. Metal has so many tentacles that you are in for some fun exploring.

Metallica and Megadeth are very obviously tied by the fact that Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica and then formed Megadeth. If you like both of those bands and want to stay in that lane, which some would call "Thrash Metal", then make the short walk to their 80s contemporaries Anthrax and Slayer.

You can't have a listing of top metal bands without including Iron Maiden.

If songs with a good melody is what you're looking for then try Def Leppard. I've always called them melodic metal, but they often get thrown in with the hair bands.

If you liked Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio as the lead singer, then give Dio a listen.

Rammstein's fun. "Mutter" is my favorite album, though Sehnsucht is pretty good too. Sonne is a good place to start:

And if you'd like a Latin-infused parody of Norwegian death metal, here you go (be warned the video is probably a little risque for many workplaces):

Korn
    Motörhead
    Rage (do I need to add... Against the Machine? )
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Seconded. I love every Tool album. Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days all worth a listen.

I also love Metallica.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Seconded. I love every Tool album. Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days all worth a listen.
    Have you ever seen this cover of Forty Six and 2 by a group of kids...

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Have you ever seen this cover of Forty Six and 2 by a group of kids...

Whoa they killed it! That was awesome. Tool's drummer is really good, and that kid in the video nailed it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fun! They need a better singer. But the spoons and banjo were made for metal.

Thunderstruck remains one of the greatest metal songs of all time.

Chiming in to thank everyone for the recommendations.
    Now, does anyone care to offer (or link) a quick primer on all the subgenres: speed, thrash, hair, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

I also love Metallica.
    I am most definitely NOT a metal fan in general but damn, Tool has got a little bit of talent. Literally everything I've heard from them is amazing, including the new album. I think you have to listen to them in one sitting to really appreciate it, but all of their work is so polished and layered you can listen a dozen times and hear things you haven't heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I am most definitely NOT a metal fan in general but damn, Tool has got a little bit of talent. Literally everything I've heard from them is amazing, including the new album. I think you have to listen to them in one sitting to really appreciate it, but all of their work is so polished and layered you can listen a dozen times and hear things you haven't heard yet.
    New album had to be good. 13 years since their last album!