Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukie’s_daughter View Post
    Dukie’s Son-in-Law had a reaction to a flu shot as a child, and “almost died”. This was in the mid 1950’s, and that’s all the info we have. He has never gotten a flu shot since. He’s eligible for a COVID shot as part of group 1b here in Virginia, but is more than hesitant...

Given his history...what would you recommend?

From a 99% lurker, but 100% lover of these boards, and their citizens...
    Dukie’s Daughter
    My wife had a severe reaction to the MMR shot as a child in the late '70s. One in a million. She remembers scores of doctors coming into to look at her. She hasn't had anything more than a sore arm to anything since. Our pediatricians were kind enough to alter the vaccination schedule for our kids to give the MMR in isolation, but they had no issues at all.

I am not a doctor, and this is only an anecdote

From what I understand with regards to most flu vaccines it's an egg allergy that is the most common problem and the CDC has some guidelines on that. (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/egg-allergies.htm) Still, 1 in 1.3 million have anaphylaxis after receiving a flu shot which means well over 100 cases of it happening a year. Just as with the lottery, someone has to be the lucky winner. I don't believe egg is used in the COVID-19 vaccine, but something else is causing those to have trouble to have trouble.

As per standard drug disclaimers in commercials, if you are allergic to the COVID-19 vaccine, please don't take the COVID-19 vaccine.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 01-29-2021 at 09:43 AM.

^ I'm taking my Epi Pen to my appt. should I get one...can't be too careful...

I had a reaction to a penicillin shot in college. I had to wait thirty minutes after the injection because of that.

States time to plan and prepare

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    In all fairness, they have only really had 7 days to prepare and they are playing catchup
    Not sure why you say that.

When the 3rd stage trials were started the states knew they would probably have to deal with vaccines that needed cold storage and two shots 3 to 4 weeks apart. While it might have been much better if the Fed govt did not have Operation Warp Speed or whatever stop at state lines, the states should have been making plans. How to handle this is not a trivial problem and for the states to push it down to counties and health departments really seems like a mistake to me.

Here is a snapshot of what I saw in CA and LA County.

First vaccines went supposed to go to health care workers, skilled nursing homes, etc. I think hospitals took care of their staffs and pharmacies the nursing homes.

Each health department health department handled things their own way. Long Beach, which is in LA County but has its own health department, started to vaccinate seniors. They had a sign up system that allowed anyone to sign up and on day 1 evidently gave vaccine to any senior, but on days 2 and 3 you had to be a senior in Long Beach or a health care worker. For others day 2 and day 3 appointments canceled.

Statewide CA was sticking to the restrictive tier. Then reports came and CA was 50th out of 50 in vaccine usage.

CA then said seniors could get the shot. Ralph[s (Kroger) pharmacy took appointments and gave shots to some seniors that evening. The next morning LA County told Ralph's to stop, seniors only, and appointment were canceled. LA County Supervisors got a lot heat from seniors and after a few days met with the Health Department and LA opened to seniors. (My wife and I followed this closely and were able to quickly get appointments received our first shot on 1/21. Told we are scheduled for the 2nd Pfizer in 21 days.)

Mad scramble to get the vaccine. Spots fill quickly. People line up and wait all day for the shots that might be thrown away if not used at the end of the day. Very difficult for those without time, computer access, diligence etc. to get appointments. County sites are mostly drive thru so you need a car.

However from my experience the process of actually getting the shot at an LA County site was smooth and they are well run.

When I made my first Ralph's appointment I made a 2nd 28 days later. I can not figure out how to cancel it (Call an 800 number and what for 30 minutes then gave up). Got a notice that it could be delayed up to 4 weeks. Ralph's must think this is my first. Have also heard that Ralph's let you give your appointment to someone else.

Anecdotal stories:
    Someone whose appointment at Ralph's was canceled goes in a week or so after the appointment. Ralph's gave her the shot. No guarantee about the 2nd. She made an appointment elsewhere for the 2nd.

Guy with an appointment goes to an LA County site. Wife without an appointment rides along. Both get shots.

LA County gives volunteers a shot if they work a day. Spots are hard to get but no age requirement. just 18 or over.

Hospital volunteers who had not volunteered since March given shots as health care workers. Not sure how LA County defined a health care worker. From Docs I know almost all heath care workers who want a shot have had ample opportunity to sign up before LA County opened to seniors.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I had a reaction to a penicillin shot in college. I had to wait thirty minutes after the injection because of that.
    That’s interesting. I told the nurse about my penicillin allergy and my shellfish allergy and she said no problem. Standard 15 minute wait. I can report no arm soreness, no symptoms so far, and certainly no reaction to my allergies.

It’s almost anecdotal that Alabama would lag behind the rest of the country in preparation for the vaccine. We still do not have an online reservation system (due to launch next week) and we depend upon word of mouth or news reports for information. Luck has a lot to do with getting a shot here in Baldwin County.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ I'm taking my Epi Pen to my appt. should I get one...can't be too careful...
    One of the questions that was asked when I received my first shot was, “have you ever used an epipen?” To me this means that everyone who has an epipen for any allergy would be wise to bring it with them when they receive the vaccine. Better safe than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    One of the questions that was asked when I received my first shot was, “have you ever used an epipen?” To me this means that everyone who has an epipen for any allergy would be wise to bring it with them when they receive the vaccine. Better safe than sorry!
    I saw a video of a local vaccination site the other day, and observed a table with some Epi Pens on it...I'm gonna do a BYOEP when I go, whenever that is...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Anecdotal stories:
    Someone whose appointment at Ralph's was canceled goes in a week or so after the appointment. Ralph's gave her the shot. No guarantee about the 2nd. She made an appointment elsewhere for the 2nd.
    This is bad. Vaccines are distributed in a way so that a site gets so many first doses, then gets the same # of second doses, for that same group. This person getting the shots in two different places means that (1) there is going to be a second dose at the original location "left hanging." Or was this a "leftover 2nd dose? (2) Will the second dose given be taken away from someone else? and (3) this disrupts the tracking system of making sure folks are getting the same type of vaccine both times. Most likely, it is all Moderna, but the CDC laid out a plan where you get a card that lists your vaccine type, lot #, date of vaccine, location, etc. This is how they are tracked. This person is now going to be tracked through two different sites. Really stupid.

Lots of Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    This is bad. Vaccines are distributed in a way so that a site gets so many first doses, then gets the same # of second doses, for that same group. This person getting the shots in two different places means that (1) there is going to be a second dose at the original location "left hanging." Or was this a "leftover 2nd dose? (2) Will the second dose given be taken away from someone else? and (3) this disrupts the tracking system of making sure folks are getting the same type of vaccine both times. Most likely, it is all Moderna, but the CDC laid out a plan where you get a card that lists your vaccine type, lot #, date of vaccine, location, etc. This is how they are tracked. This person is now going to be tracked through two different sites. Really stupid.
    The "system" at Ralph's has caused all kinds of issues. First they said ok to seniors than canceled appointments. However if you also made an appointment for the 2nd shot it was not canceled. So I was 1/14 and 2/21 but 1/14 canceled. Now 2/21 has been postponed probably 4 weeks. In the meantime I got the Pfizer first shot at an LA County site and sm scheduled for the 2nd (I hope). However I can not figure out how to cancel the 2/21 appointment at Ralph's. Have also heard that I can go to Ralph's and give it to someone else.

Heard today of someone under 65 who took her elderly mother to the Dodge Stadium. Both got shots! I would guess some stayed home because of the rain. LA County either is or was scheduling volunteers for a day of work and you get a shot. I know of someone under 50 and another who is just 18 who are signed up for that.

If Ralph's is guaranteed a 2nd shot for my friend, then they should have scheduled her.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    In our well-organized system here, you are guaranteed a second dose, even if high-priority people looking for a first shot have to be put on hold. But if you don't show up or seek to delay getting it -- no dice. It's given to someone else. And you have to take your chances on getting your second shot sometime later.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    In my engineering curriculum at Duke I had no need for a typewriter...or spelling. Just a sliderule.
    L&M - kicked out of the alphabet for smoking
    K+E - got in on the slide

Larry
    DevilHorse

I got a call from Cone Health! V-me day is February 4th!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I got a call from Cone Health! V-me day is February 4th!
    Woo-hoo!

Well I signed up online for a drive-thru vaccine clinic, received an email confirmation, showed up at the appointed time...and there was a huge highway display sign "teachers only."

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Well I signed up online for a drive-thru vaccine clinic, received an email confirmation, showed up at the appointed time...and there was a huge highway display sign "teachers only."
    Wish I’d see that.

Epidemiologist says Biden administration needs to focus on first vaccine dose

Osterholm on Meet the Press this morning was pretty demoralizing. Talking about an inevitable new wave coming that will be much worse than what we’ve seen so far.

"Michael Osterholm, a top epidemiologist who advised President Joe Biden’s transition team on the coronavirus pandemic, said Sunday that the U.S. needs to “call an audible” with its vaccination program, prioritizing a rush to give a single dose to as many people as possible ahead of a likely surge of cases attributed to more contagious mutations of the virus."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...doses-n1256293

2nd Shot

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    Osterholm on Meet the Press this morning was pretty demoralizing. Talking about an inevitable new wave coming that will be much worse than what we’ve seen so far.

"Michael Osterholm, a top epidemiologist who advised President Joe Biden’s transition team on the coronavirus pandemic, said Sunday that the U.S. needs to “call an audible” with its vaccination program, prioritizing a rush to give a single dose to as many people as possible ahead of a likely surge of cases attributed to more contagious mutations of the virus."

I have seen him on MTP several times and he has been right on with his predictions.

He also advocated delaying the 2nd shots in order to get more first shots into people's arms.

Evidently LA County is now scheduling both the first and second shot when you sign up for the first at a county site. Why they did not do this initially is a mystery.
    Wife and I were supposed to receive an email about our second shot but have not at of yet. We now of others who have.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    L&M - kicked out of the alphabet for smoking
    K+E - got in on the slide

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Liggett and Myers?

Not sure K+E

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post

Osterholm has been gloom-and-doom for a while now. I think he is being too pessimistic, but clearly bad stuff can lie ahead.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Osterholm has been gloom-and-doom for a while now. I think he is being too pessimistic, but clearly bad stuff can lie ahead.
    If I may ask, why do you believe he is being too pessimistic?