Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Nice! Congratulations.

My youngest son, the one with Crohn's disease, got his second shot two days ago. It has really thrown him for a loop. I am happy that he got his vaccines, but I sure hope the poor guy feels better soon.
    Warm vibes for Sonrsvman. {{{{{vibes}}}}}

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not sure which of the two threads this goes in, but Duke is officially requiring vaccinations for the fall, with medical and religious exemptions. Seems to be a growing trend. If they are going back to standard roommate situations, I wonder how they pair up students who are getting exemptions.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...sDPo6vd51KOJ8I
    Um, well, I guess it wouldn't matter as the other roommate would be vaccinated.

According to the Washington Post, North Carolina ended the week with 426,000 doses of vaccine available to it that they did not choose to order...there are various explanations, but it's clear that in a lot of states supply is beginning to exceed demand...in a similar vein, it's been reported that 39% of Marines don't want the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    According to the Washington Post, North Carolina ended the week with 426,000 doses of vaccine available to it that they did not choose to order...there are various explanations, but it's clear that in a lot of states supply is beginning to exceed demand...in a similar vein, it's been reported that 39% of Marines don't want the vaccine.
    Fortunately they are in an employment situation where they have to take orders. I appreciate our armed services as much as anyone, but this is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    Um, well, I guess it wouldn't matter as the other roommate would be vaccinated.
    First, the um, well really wasn't necessary.

Second, one of the experts here can correct me if I'm wrong, but being vaccinated doesn't fully protect you from getting Covid. It just makes it less likely that you will catch it, and it reduces the severity of it if you do get it. I was actually speaking to a friend yesterday whose aunt is fully vaccinated (I believe she is a nurse - not sure) and got it. But it was a fairly mild case. A person who is not vaccinated is more likely to get it and to transmit. So, all things being equal, I would rather not be living in a small East Campus dorm room with someone who is not vaccinated.

I think this is the correct take, though I might be wrong.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah, no way in wankerville am I paying room/board/tuition to any university and have my kid living with an unvaccinated roommate. I imagine I am not the only parent who feels this way. Being the parent of a kid who had to be on chemotherapy multiple times, I understand medical exemptions. We have had to carefully time flu shots and other vaccinations throughout his life, so, I get it, but he's never going to have a roommate who hasn't had a covid shot moving forward. No way.

Just got my second covid shot (Pfizer). Good day!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Congratulations! Still 10 days before I get my 2nd.

Drive through second Pfizer at 2pm. Impressively efficient scenario.

Beef stew on the stove. Golf on TV. Waiting to see how it hits us.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I have heard it all from the vaccine hesitant. You have named several.

1) It's not even a vaccine! This one, for some reason, is incredibly popular. I can't even remotely understand the logic behind the argument, but it goes something like this, "a vaccine, by definition, PREVENTS INFECTION. This does not prevent infection. Therefore, it is not a vaccine." So many holes, it's hard to know where to start, but I'd start by saying that most vaccines do not prevent infection. They are designed to prevent DISEASE. Also, if the anti-vaxxers hate vaccines so much, wouldn't it HELP their cause to call this one a vaccine? Then they could just say, "I don't like any vaccines, so I'm not taking this one." Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot with this argument.

2) It hasn't been approved by the FDA! This one makes a little bit more sense, although a lot of the anti-vaxx crowd has no problem using or even being proponents of other things that are also not approved by the FDA, like, for example, hydroxychloroquine for Covid, lol. A lot of these people take echinacea, and St. John's wort, and even homeopathic remedies that are not even close to having FDA approval, so I'm not sure why FDA approval is so important in this particular case. Seems to me like they are using this argument just because it sounds like a reasonable argument. It's not. If we were not in the middle of a global pandemic, the FDA would have taken its time to review the studies and would have given full approval eventually. We just needed the vaccine to get out sooner, so they gave it an EUA, instead.

3) It's experimental, and I won't be a guinea pig! Technically, it's not really experimental now. The experiments were done already. Telling these people this fact does nothing to persuade them.

4) They made it WAY too fast! The argument here is that rapidity equals slip-shod, which isn't true in this case. The vaccines were in phase 1 experiments back in February of 2020 when most people were barely aware that there was a new virus afoot, well before conference basketball tournaments were canceled. Also, a lot of the time savings were in not having to wait for full FDA approval, and, most importantly, pressing forward with massive production during the time the FDA was reviewing the trial data.

5) It's a brand new technology! This is a variant of the "guinea pig" argument. While it is true that no prior vaccine was based on mRNA technology, this idea has been in development and preclinical studies for a couple of decades.

6) It's genetic material, therefore it will alter your DNA! A lot of people are espousing this one, which just displays a basic misunderstanding of how mRNA functions and what RNases are. There is zero possibility of this happening, but if you meet someone who enjoys this theory, there is nothing you can say that will change their mind.

7) The vaccine contains a microchip; the government/big business/big brother is just trying to track you! This one is particularly amusing, especially given that it is a favorite of people who pretty much spend their whole lives posting everything they do, everything they eat, and everywhere they go on social media. A subtext of this particular argument is that the entire pandemic is fictional, and/or deliberate ("plandemic") in order to get you to accept this chip. This chip, together with 5G, is going to be the end of society as we know it.

8) The vaccine is dangerous; lots of people have died from getting it! This one is gaining momentum as reports are appearing about people who passed away in temporal proximity to getting the vaccine. The fact that an extremely small percentage of people who got the AstraZeneca vaccine has suffered blood clots is not helping, either. Most anti-vaxxers are not necessarily getting into the nitty-gritty about different types of vaccines. For example, even to consider the idea/possibility that blood clotting could be an extremely rare adverse reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine but not the Johnson and Johnson, the Pfizer, or the Moderna vaccines is a bridge too far for these people.

There are others, but those are the main ones. Some Christians, and Catholics in particular, object to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine because the company utilized a cell line that was derived from an aborted fetus decades ago.

There are other arguments, but these are the ones I have heard most commonly.
    Thank you. This is an excellent summary worthy of the sticky, and I'll try to make good use of it.

One more I'll add. Folks are wary of the side effects of the vaccine. I've heard "The vaccine is worse than getting COVID. I know somebody who got very sick with the vaccine. And I know somebody who got COVID and wasn't very sick at all. I'm not getting the vaccine, no thank you." Trying to point out that more than half a million people in the US have died from COVID got me nowhere. Some people just like the eye test more than statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Thank you. This is an excellent summary worthy of the sticky, and I'll try to make good use of it.

One more I'll add. Folks are wary of the side effects of the vaccine. I've heard "The vaccine is worse than getting COVID. I know somebody who got very sick with the vaccine. And I know somebody who got COVID and wasn't very sick at all. I'm not getting the vaccine, no thank you." Trying to point out that more than half a million people in the US have died from COVID got me nowhere. Some people just like the eye test more than statistics.
    The only "fair" concern I have heard is about long term effects of the vaccine. Which is obviously unknown. But I would counter with the known and unknown long term effects of the disease itself.

My S.O.'s granddaughter, 24, lives in DC and works for the State Department. She was scheduled to get the vaccine in late April. Earlier this week she and her 3 roommates got on the computer and all four got their first Pfizer shots here in Greensboro yesterday and at government run site at Four Seasons Mall! Easy peasy, in and out in 45 minutes and then drove back to their apartment in DC. They'll be back in 3 weeks for dose #2.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Chinese authorities surprisingly indicate that their vaccines aren't very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Drive through second Pfizer at 2pm. Impressively efficient scenario.

Beef stew on the stove. Golf on TV. Waiting to see how it hits us.
    Definitely glad I laid in supplies. Feeking very achey, mild fever, disoriented - you probably won't be able to tell the difference in my DBR posts.

Wife seems to be escaping more smoothly.

Chinese authorities surprisingly indicate that their vaccines aren't very effective.
    I'm shocked! Shocked...

Feeking very achey, mild fever, disoriented - you probably won't be able to tell the difference in my DBR posts.
    Good posting takes inspiration.

Good piece on getting vaccinated

Good piece on getting vaccinated by Derek Lowe, who has done drug discovery work for decades and who has been following the pandemic developments closely.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...ing-vaccinated

Why does it take one dude working late nights on his own to come up with a solution to help people find locally available vaccine appointments?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/us/va...ent/index.html

How does big tech, big healthcare or the government not accomplish this? IMO, this represents a total failure of corporate, healthcare and government efforts. If this guy did it alone in his spare time, just imagine what Google or Amazon or dozens of other companies could have done. Why doesn’t Google step in now and help fund this thing and make it the best resource it can be?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Definitely glad I laid in supplies. Feeking very achey, mild fever, disoriented - you probably won't be able to tell the difference in my DBR posts.

Wife seems to be escaping more smoothly.
    I felt exactly the same. An Advil really helps. I hope you quickly feel better.