Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    So 36 hours post second shot (pfizer) I had a restless night sleeping last night and have a slightly sore arm still. Both also happened after the first shot.

No other issues, happily.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So 36 hours post second shot (pfizer) I had a restless night sleeping last night and have a slightly sore arm still. Both also happened after the first shot.

No other issues, happily.

-jk
    The two experts on the Duke vaccine podcast yesterday briefly discussed immune responses, and the the fact that a robust (and usually younger) immune system produces a stronger reaction as the immune response kicks in. Barton (the head of Duke Vaccine Institute) said he was disappointed when he didn’t have a stronger reaction, because he wanted evidence that he had a strong immune system. They acknowledged the worry that a mild reaction might mean less immunity, but said they believed that even those who don’t have a strong reaction would still have good immunity. Even though I had only a mild reaction, whatever immunity the vaccine produces is better than what I had without it!

I must have a strong one as I was completely miserable for two days after second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    The two experts on the Duke vaccine podcast yesterday briefly discussed immune responses, and the the fact that a robust (and usually younger) immune system produces a stronger reaction as the immune response kicks in. Barton (the head of Duke Vaccine Institute) said he was disappointed when he didn’t have a stronger reaction, because he wanted evidence that he had a strong immune system. They acknowledged the worry that a mild reaction might mean less immunity, but said they believed that even those who don’t have a strong reaction would still have good immunity. Even though I had only a mild reaction, whatever immunity the vaccine produces is better than what I had without it!
    Could a mild reaction mean that you had Covid, perhaps as an asymptomatic carrier, and already have antibodies?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I've heard that people with robust immune systems tend to have more of a reaction. I get my second Pfizer shot on March 6th. I have a very robust immune system. I mean I just don't get sick much at all. At one point my doctors office called me to see if I was still considering them my primary care physician because I hadn't been there in 5 years (note, I did have a few visits to the CVS minute clinic for minor issues).

So I admit that I'm a little concerned that I'm going to have a rough couple of days. At the same time, I'm happy that I've been able to receive the vaccines so the big picture is all positive. If I have a few tough days for this, that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've heard that people with robust immune systems tend to have more of a reaction. I get my second Pfizer shot on March 6th. I have a very robust immune system. I mean I just don't get sick much at all. At one point my doctors office called me to see if I was still considering them my primary care physician because I hadn't been there in 5 years (note, I did have a few visits to the CVS minute clinic for minor issues).

So I admit that I'm a little concerned that I'm going to have a rough couple of days. At the same time, I'm happy that I've been able to receive the vaccines so the big picture is all positive. If I have a few tough days for this, that's OK.
    Well keep your fingers crossed. I got my second Pfizer shot in my 71 year old arm yesterday, and all I'm experiencing is a little bit of soreness at the injection site.

I've had the same experience with my doctor since I so rarely need to see him for anything. I just don't get sick very often. My totally unscientific theory for that is that I grew up in a military family. So every two years my sisters and I got dropped into a new crowd of friends and playmates - all of whom were ALSO shuffling friends every two years.

My sisters and I did catch everything possible up until we were ten or twelve years old. Now we seem to get passed up by just about everything.

I felt guilty sometimes when our kids were growing up. One of them would bring something home from school, and the other child and my wife would always catch it. But not me. And my wife, unlike me, lived in the same relatively small, stable area of Ohio until she graduated from college.

So for whatever my unscientifically based theory and extremely small sample size is worth - maybe you'll get lucky, too.

Good luck

More from LA County

Both my wife and I have had both Pfizer shots.

I got the following text yesterday from CVS:

"CVS Pharmacy: hundreds of COVID19 vaccines available in the next 2 days for patients 65 and older and other eligible patients. CLICK: cvs.co/COVD"

I went to the link and could have scheduled my "first" shot tomorrow at a convenient location. Obviously I did not.

So some can not get appointments and I could get double vaccinated!!!

My wife got a similar message from a local hospital.

I do think a big problem is that the public health people have never seen anything like Covid. Last summer when they should have developing a vaccination plan they were probably working long hours 6 or 7 days a week just dealing with those that were filling hospitals and also trying to stop the spread. So now they are learning as they go with vaccination - read someplace like learning how to drive when going down the highway.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Well keep your fingers crossed. I got my second Pfizer shot in my 71 year old arm yesterday, and all I'm experiencing is a little bit of soreness at the injection site.

I've had the same experience with my doctor since I so rarely need to see him for anything. I just don't get sick very often. My totally unscientific theory for that is that I grew up in a military family. So every two years my sisters and I got dropped into a new crowd of friends and playmates - all of whom were ALSO shuffling friends every two years.

My sisters and I did catch everything possible up until we were ten or twelve years old. Now we seem to get passed up by just about everything.

I felt guilty sometimes when our kids were growing up. One of them would bring something home from school, and the other child and my wife would always catch it. But not me. And my wife, unlike me, lived in the same relatively small, stable area of Ohio until she graduated from college.

So for whatever my unscientifically based theory and extremely small sample size is worth - maybe you'll get lucky, too.

Good luck
    I grew up in a military family and moved every two years as well. I always say it's the reason I able to get along with everybody. Could also be the reason I don't get sick. Hopefully my experience with the second dose is like yours (mild symptoms).

Shot 2 (Pfizer) in the arm. No problems after 2 hours. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Shot 2 (Pfizer) in the arm. No problems after 2 hours. Fingers crossed.
    Same for me. Shot 2 (Pfizer) in the arm at a few minutes past 0800. No problems after 5 hours.
    Bob Green

J&J Trial

Today, my wife and I got shots as part of a Johnson & Johnson trial for its COVID vaccine. This trial involves a two dose regimen, as opposed to the single dose regimen that is about to get emergency use authorization.

Of course, because the trial involves a placebo group, we don't know whether or not we actually got vaccinated. I figure it's a 50-50 shot, right? (Apologies for that.)

The good news is that assuming emergency use authorization, even if we didn't get put into the group that gets the two doses, we will still get one dose, because that's the way that Johnson & Johnson has decided to handle the ethical issues involved.

Because the Johnson & Johnson vaccine seems to have fewer side effects than the other vaccines, and especially in people over 60, as my wife and I are, I don't think we are likely to be able to guess whether or not we got vaccinated today.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Today, my wife and I got shots as part of a Johnson & Johnson trial for its COVID vaccine. This trial involves a two dose regimen, as opposed to the single dose regimen that is about to get emergency use authorization.

Of course, because the trial involves a placebo group, we don't know whether or not we actually got vaccinated. I figure it's a 50-50 shot, right? (Apologies for that.)

The good news is that assuming emergency use authorization, even if we didn't get put into the group that gets the two doses, we will still get one dose, because that's the way that Johnson & Johnson has decided to handle the ethical issues involved.

Because the Johnson & Johnson vaccine seems to have fewer side effects than the other vaccines, and especially in people over 60, as my wife and I are, I don't think we are likely to be able to guess whether or not we got vaccinated today.
    Is the two dose regimen the same design/mechanism as the one dose? But simply seeing if a different dosing schedule/amount improves outcomes?

Good luck to you.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Is the two dose regimen the same design/mechanism as the one dose? But simply seeing if a different dosing schedule/amount improves outcomes?

Good luck to you.
    That’s my understanding: same as the one dose regimen.

We have appointments to get our second shot in mid-April (the second dose needs to be at least 43 days later, and up to 60 days or so). So by then, both of us will have had at least one dose. It also sounded like J&J may decide to unblind those who got the placebo in about two weeks and bring them in for their single shot then, but the local group administering those doses just doesn’t know yet. May be discussed in the FDA advisory committee meeting today.

If we get a chance to get another vaccine before then, we can call and may be unblinded at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Same for me. Shot 2 (Pfizer) in the arm at a few minutes past 0800. No problems after 5 hours.
    Shot 1(Pfizer) this morning around 9:15. So far only arm soreness around vaccine spot. 2nd set for March 26.

That’s my understanding: same as the one dose regimen.

We have appointments to get our second shot in mid-April (the second dose needs to be at least 43 days later, and up to 60 days or so). So by then, both of us will have had at least one dose. It also sounded like J&J may decide to unblind those who got the placebo in about two weeks and bring them in for their single shot then, but the local group administering those doses just doesn’t know yet. May be discussed in the FDA advisory committee meeting today.

If we get a chance to get another vaccine before then, we can call and may be unblinded at that point.
    Ooopss. My wife says the first dose in the two regimen is smaller than the single dose.

It has been 24 hours since Shot 2 (Pfizer). Arm soreness was noticeably worse than Shot 1 and I experienced minor fatigue but nothing else. No fever, chills, overall body aches or headache. I feel fine.
    Bob Green

Double ooopsss

Ooopss. My wife says the first dose in the two regimen is smaller than the single dose.
    My wife was basing this on a website called Your Local Epidemiologist, and the site has now retracted this statement. So if we got the vaccine, we got the same dose as everyone in the one shot trial who got the vaccine.

In related news, I had a very slight fever last night, so am optimistic that I got the vaccine and not the placebo.

I got my first jab yesterday. Moderna, in my 40s. Soreness in the injection arm that increased through bed time, but not strong enough I felt the need to take anything for it. Slept fine and soreness is barely noticeable today.

Whole process ran very smoothly with essentially no wait at any point. Took about 35-40 minutes total from check-in in the parking lot until I was back in my car. Hardest part was making way around road closures on my way home due to Biden's visit.

I got my second Moderna shot yesterday afternoon. About 16 hours later I only have moderate soreness in my arm. I had a little bit of trouble sleeping last night - just general restlessness (not from the arm soreness) - which is unusual for me. All of this is exactly the same as what I experienced with the first shot. But no other symptoms so far and I feel totally fine this morning. I will note that my shots were 26 days apart and my doctor assured me there was no issue with being up to 4 days early (same as CDC guidelines). Both shots took less than 15 minutes. I’m 50 for those scoring at home.

we have a great state website which updates what % of the population has been vaccinated (by age) every day. They've only been doing the 75+ crowd for four weeks, and already 74.3% of that population has had at least one jab; for the 70-74 bracket, they only opened things up about 10 days ago, already 30% of that population has had a shot...everyone I know wants a jab, I don't know a single doubter...