Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    One year, they had newbies doing flu shots where I work. The child giving me mine had NEVER before given a shot in a human. She was acting like she was going to throw a dart, moving the needle back and forth like she was aiming. I tensed, she gave me the shot, and it hurt like no other flu vaccine ever should. Because I tensed. These are intramuscular, like a tetanus, so they are more likely to leave your arm sore, but you should always try to let your arm hang as loosely and relaxed as possible. Then exercise your arm throughout the day after the shot.

They never used newbies again, thinking they had some complaints . . .
    My second (Pfizer) shot is scheduled for Friday. I've read all the second-shot horror stories all over the internet for weeks and now you're telling me it's my responsibility to relax my arm?

Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My second (Pfizer) shot is scheduled for Friday. I've read all the second-shot horror stories all over the internet for weeks and now you're telling me it's my responsibility to relax my arm?
    The secret to not tensing up is to just look at and concentrate on something else in the room. You can't anticipate the jab if you aren't looking at it, and if you aren't anticipating it, you aren't tensing up. At least not until it's too late to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The secret to not tensing up is to just look at and concentrate on something else in the room. You can't anticipate the jab if you aren't looking at it, and if you aren't anticipating it, you aren't tensing up. At least not until it's too late to make a difference.
    Is it weird that as a healthcare professional I watch all my sticks and stickers closely and nod in approval at good technique?

I had my second Moderna shot on Friday.

My arm was pretty sore for two days. I thought I may have had a slight temp the next day but never checked. Interestingly, at least to me, I have three nagging injuries (back, shoulder and knee) that never seem to bother me at the same time. The day following the vaccine, all three hurt and hurt about twice as much as usual.

By Sunday I was back to normal. I am very grateful that I received the vaccine. My slightly younger wife is still waiting for a call.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Is it weird that as a healthcare professional I watch all my sticks and stickers closely and nod in approval at good technique?
    Not if you can do that without making it hurt worse than it needs to.

I actually have watched before, on days when I'm feeling mentally disciplined. Some days, though, even the little needle stick just seems like something I don't want to deal with, so I pick out something else to focus on. Never fails.

Grrr.
    The nurse told me “not to baby the arm.” As per the recommendations from this thread I was going to get it moving for fifteen twenty minutes anyway after the shot. I didn’t have any issues after either shot.

I’ve had both my Pfizer shots. The actual jab was barely noticeable, and not painful at all during the actual jab. Minor pain at the jab site for 3 - 4 days, but nothing to keep me from using the arm. Again, don’t baby your arm. Work it, moderately. I did request a left arm jab, as I usually sleep on my right side. Slept better than usual.

No side effects after the first shot. Moderate fatigue and joint and muscle pain after the second for 5 days, but some of that could have been residual pain that comes and goes after my back surgery last May. The pain wasn’t bad enough to keep me from walking about 3 miles through a petting zoo/game preserve with my visiting grand daughters. (Honestly though, two broken legs probably wouldn’t have stopped me from doing that. I do have a bit of a stubborn and headstrong streak - you can ask my wife.)

As requested, my age is 72, with back surgery and prostate cancer treatment in the last 12 months. If I can do it, so can you. Piece of cake.

Grrr.
    I think those horror stories are quite infrequent and at worst last <24 hours and are reasonably well mitigated with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Heck, rsvman sounds like he had about the worst and/or longest duration side effects among regular posters, but, remember, he's a small sample size.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think those horror stories are quite infrequent and at worst last <24 hours and are reasonably well mitigated with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Heck, rsvman sounds like he had about the worst and/or longest duration side effects among regular posters, but, remember, he's a small sample size.
    The horror stories I'm referencing aren't from DBR but more from Facebook. I understand Stephen King is using these stories as the basis for his next book.

The horror stories I'm referencing aren't from DBR but more from Facebook. I understand Stephen King is using these stories as the basis for his next book.
    Oh, my! They must be horrible.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The Shawshank Injection

Vaccine Distribution Fairness

Los Angeles County is concerned that vaccines disproportionately have gone to wealthier neighborhoods.

I live in one of them. All of my friends over 65 (and not all white) have either gotten one or two shots or have an appointment. or just do not want to be vaccinated. However when I canvas friends and relatives throughout the country it is the same thing. However in LA those in poorer areas have higher infection rates and deaths.

Do you any of you live in cities where the vaccine distribution does not favor those with computer access and other factors that may favor the most advantaged. If son how did they do it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Given his specialty and daily exposure, I would think rsvman has built up a much stronger respiratory infection immunity than most Americans. Could his significantly stronger respiratory immunity system have merely waged a much more aggressive vaccination attack than most?

The horror stories I'm referencing aren't from DBR but more from Facebook.
    Facebook is a high quality source for umm, ahh...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Los Angeles County is concerned that vaccines disproportionately have gone to wealthier neighborhoods.

I live in one of them. All of my friends over 65 (and not all white) have either gotten one or two shots or have an appointment. or just do not want to be vaccinated. However when I canvas friends and relatives throughout the country it is the same thing. However in LA those in poorer areas have higher infection rates and deaths.

Do you any of you live in cities where the vaccine distribution does not favor those with computer access and other factors that may favor the most advantaged. If son how did they do it?

Thanks
    Vermont has a very robust phone system which has augmented the on line signup process...our population is of course small, nonetheless, every step of the way the state has done a truly great job of getting the vaccine to people, with no cases of the vaccine going to privileged neighborhoods, or specific towns as I've seen in other states... We've got fifty some state run vax sites, and now drug store chains are involved, too.

Thanks
    I live in NYC. I think we have been having the same issues. One of the largest distribution points in the city is the Javits Center, which is in a non-residential neighborhood but is generally furthest from less wealthy neighborhoods. My wife got her first shot at a school not too far from us in a low income neighborhood. Most shots seem to be going to those who are more tech savvy.

To your question, I heard on the news this morning that they opened up two large centers that will each do about 3000 shots a day in poorer areas that have been hit the hardest. I believe they are restricting registration to people in specific zip codes. It looks like the federal government is providing additional supply specifically for this. Our part-time caregiver is getting her shot tomorrow, I believe at the new site in Brooklyn (she has a number of co-morbidities that make her eligible). See the attached article for more details.

https://abc7ny.com/covid-vaccine-app...york/10366479/

Thanks
    In bright-red Missouri, vaccination has been ridiculously slow only in the large cities and surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Facebook is a high quality source for umm, ahh...
    There was an interesting pattern. Someone I know posted that they had a second shot, with mild side effects. Then a bunch of people I don't know responded with stories of being laid up in bed for three days—not in a good way—massive headaches, cold chills and such. I'm not even sure these respondents weren't Russian bots seeking new gigs now that the election is over.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    In bright-red Missouri, vaccination has been ridiculously slow only in the large cities and surrounding areas.
    We have appointments open availability.
    People arent filling them .
    We desperately need a standby list.
    If people do not want it .ill get there for it come heck or highwater .
    Quite frustrating .

If your near charleston tbe harris teeter
    Covid web site has availability through march 3rd .with in 20 miles
    Various appointment tines and dates.

I saw 30 to 40 slots open.

There was an interesting pattern. Someone I know posted that they had a second shot, with mild side effects. Then a bunch of people I don't know responded with stories of being laid up in bed for three days—not in a good way—massive headaches, cold chills and such. I'm not even sure these respondents weren't Russian bots seeking new gigs now that the election is over.
    I can believe they're bots! Or trainees for the troll farm.

I just got my second (pfizer) this morning.

-jk