Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I took typing and Gregg notehand (a form of short hand) in 10th grade in Great Neck, NY; both were a half-semester class and were given as a pair. Then when we moved to Ft. Lauderdale I had to pass both typing and swimming to graduate. Peace of cake! And typing did serve me well at Duke on my Smith Corona electric type writer (it's still in the garage). Never did get the hang of notehand.
    I learned on a Royal portable *manual* typewriter. It was probably from the late '40s or early '50s. Man, you needed finger strength for that thing, and bigger hands than I had in middle school. As a result, my typing skills remained quite rudimentary until the computer age made it to me. I went through most of high school writing essays in longhand, but that didn't fly in college.

Peace of cake!
    I too am at peace with cake☺️

Cake . . . or death?

(If you know, you know)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cake . . . or death?

(If you know, you know)
    Death by cake!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Death by cake!
    I see you're not Church of England.

(NSFW: https://youtu.be/PVH0gZO5lq0 )

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Get my second tomorrow - I have read that 2 is worse than 1.
    Got the shot at 2PM yesterday, woke up last night at 3AM, with a lot of muscle soreness, 99 F. This morning, I'm fine. Arm soreness.
    ~rthomas

Does anyone know about feasibility/legality of getting vaccinated in other counties? My parents ar high risk in Charlotte/Mecklenburg and it's a logistical nightmare. It may be two more months before the can sniff their first vaccine. I do know some folks who have gone to Mitchell/Avery Counties to get their vaccine without any trouble.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Does anyone know about feasibility/legality of getting vaccinated in other counties? My parents ar high risk in Charlotte/Mecklenburg and it's a logistical nightmare. It may be two more months before the can sniff their first vaccine. I do know some folks who have gone to Mitchell/Avery Counties to get their vaccine without any trouble.

Thoughts?
    Yes, it is a Statewide program and it is legal to go to any County in NC. That is what I did.
    Here's an story on that subject (I'm the guy she interviewed)

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...d-637129fa0be0

I took typing and Gregg notehand (a form of short hand) in 10th grade in Great Neck, NY; both were a half-semester class and were given as a pair. Then when we moved to Ft. Lauderdale I had to pass both typing and swimming to graduate. Peace of cake! And typing did serve me well at Duke on my Smith Corona electric type writer (it's still in the garage). Never did get the hang of notehand.
    "Peace of cake?"

Evidently spelling wasn't required.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Peace of cake?"

To be fair, cake does induce a unique sense of peace. Similar, but different from peace of pie or peace of chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Peace of cake?"

I always wanted too be a engenere and now I are won!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

In my engineering curriculum at Duke I had no need for a typewriter...or spelling. Just a sliderule.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    To be fair, cake does induce a unique sense of peace. Similar, but different from peace of pie or peace of chocolate.
    I search for whirled peas, or, put another way, peas on earth, and of course, goodwill toward men (and ladies, too).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    In my engineering curriculum at Duke I had no need for a typewriter...or spelling. Just a sliderule.
    I used to know how to use one of those!

More on topic, I'm scheduled for my first (pfizer) on Monday morning.

-jk

Very fortunate to receive my 1st Pfizer shot this afternoon. Mother in law called at lunch to let me know that the local hospital had 400 shots available no appointment necessary for age 65 and up. Most of our county sites were restricted to 75 and over or first responders. Once I arrived at the site, it took only 14 minutes from getting the form to receiving the shot. All that I have heard have been horror stories about the lack of planning and the misinformation at other sites. This went perfectly. My wife said that the nurses must have planned everything rather than the health department. She is probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I’ve got one or two of those around somewhere. I know how to multiply or divide with it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Question for the community

Dukie’s Son-in-Law had a reaction to a flu shot as a child, and “almost died”. This was in the mid 1950’s, and that’s all the info we have. He has never gotten a flu shot since. He’s eligible for a COVID shot as part of group 1b here in Virginia, but is more than hesitant...

Given his history...what would you recommend?

From a 99% lurker, but 100% lover of these boards, and their citizens...
    Dukie’s Daughter

Quote Originally Posted by dukie’s_daughter View Post
    Dukie’s Son-in-Law had a reaction to a flu shot as a child, and “almost died”. This was in the mid 1950’s, and that’s all the info we have. He has never gotten a flu shot since. He’s eligible for a COVID shot as part of group 1b here in Virginia, but is more than hesitant...

Given his history...what would you recommend?

From a 99% lurker, but 100% lover of these boards, and their citizens...
    Dukie’s Daughter
    The COVID vaccines are made completely differently from the flu vaccines (and particularly from the flu vaccines of the '50s). It sounds like there's a good chance his problem may have been one of two things: either a) he had a quick and severe allergic reaction to the shot itself, meaning the different formulation of this vaccine makes it unlikely that would happen again;or b) he had a "reaction" on a longer time scale, meaning that he wasn't actually reacting to the shot itself, but maybe wasn't protected by it, either, or got sick with something different at coincidentally the same time. If it is option a), they will look out for that when they give the vaccine and treatments are available on site. For option b), well, odds would be strongly against a repeat.

But IANAD, so this speculation is worth exactly what you paid to get it.

^ yeah, I wouldn't act based on something that happened nearly 70 years ago...thus far people are tolerating the vaccines very nicely...

I'd go with whatever his primary healthcare physician recommends. The appropriate response could be very patient-specific.