Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I’m reading all of the great suggestions, even if I don’t reply. Keep ‘em coming! We have decided on 3 nights in Homer in addition to the 3 nights in Wasilla. We have extended family in Palmer (who we don’t know terribly well, but enough to pay a brief visit).

Regarding Denali: It’s a *haul* to the National Park. Is Denali State Park (at the base of the range, near Talkeetna) a decent’ish substitute? Or will we kick ourselves for not taking a super-long day getting into the National Park (and back)?
    We had almost three weeks in Alaska and spent a week on the Kenai, about eight days on a small cruise ship (11 passengers and 4 crew), a couple of days traveling, and a few days around Juneau. We didn't go to Denali and didn't regret it. Denali involves a lot of travel, both getting there and while in the park. We decided it wasn't worth it. Having said that, I think you'll have a great time either way.

Closing the loop, we are back from a fantastic trip. We absolutely LOVED Homer. The views of the mountains/glaciers set against Kachemak Bay are unbelievably gorgeous. Think the Tetons on steroids. And the drive from Anchorage to Homer, through the Kenai Peninsula, is pretty amazing.

We also really liked Talkeetna, which is the gateway to Denali along the Susitna River. Unfortunately, our time in that vicinity was pretty overcast, so the Mountain wasn’t out. We did get to see it, with binoculars, from a park in Anchorage, though.

Also, the drive from Wasilla to Matanuska Glacier is really fun. We saw two moose there.

Last, but not least, Alaskans know how to brew! The beer and coffee were uniformly excellent.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Closing the loop, we are back from a fantastic trip. We absolutely LOVED Homer. The views of the mountains/glaciers set against Kachemak Bay are unbelievably gorgeous. Think the Tetons on steroids. And the drive from Anchorage to Homer, through the Kenai Peninsula, is pretty amazing.

We also really liked Talkeetna, which is the gateway to Denali along the Susitna River. Unfortunately, our time in that vicinity was pretty overcast, so the Mountain wasn’t out. We did get to see it, with binoculars, from a park in Anchorage, though.

Also, the drive from Wasilla to Matanuska Glacier is really fun. We saw two moose there.

Last, but not least, Alaskans know how to brew! The beer and coffee were uniformly excellent.
    The pictures I saw, and the beers I saw, all looked fantastic!

Hook that up with Big Wayne’s Alaska fish pictures, and well — I gotta go. Y’all convinced me!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The pictures I saw, and the beers I saw, all looked fantastic!

Hook that up with Big Wayne’s Alaska fish pictures, and well — I gotta go. Y’all convinced me!
    You should! Highly recommended. And, side bonus: No Gary Williams sightings.

You should! Highly recommended. And, side bonus: No Gary Williams sightings.
    29B1E429-ABD5-4BFF-892D-FF00C3916709.jpg

Too bad, in a way.

Yep

Homer and the Kenai Peninsula are amazing.

I'm headed to Alaska next summer to cross off #50, so interested in further advice and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm headed to Alaska next summer to cross off #50, so interested in further advice and reviews!
    It's a great 50th! This thread had some very good thoughts, and I believe there are some other Alaska threads in the archives here.

The only bad parts: (1) choices had to be made, the place is so vast; and (2) the redeye flight back to the East Coast.

we did a trip to Seward and went kayaking out to the glacier...it was awesome...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    we did a trip to Seward and went kayaking out to the glacier...it was awesome...
    we also hiked up to the EXIT GLACIER at Kenji Fjord....we took the sight-seeing flight around denali, which was WELL worth it...

check out some pics
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese