Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Good grief. I hadn't actually heard the comments until this post. I understand why he's apologizing, given the reactions, but what in the heck were all the reactions about? He gave the guy a very reasonable response. He made it personal, I suppose, asking him his major, but nothing about K said was an attack or an insult of any kind. It was basically the GOAT coach saying, "I'm a little stuck right now, and here's an analogy to explain why. We'll have to try to figure out a real answer in the next couple days." The whole things was politely delivered in an even tone. Shoot, he's done less apology than that for many of his profanity-laden tirades.

I'm not one to avoid criticisms of those whom I think deserve it, even if they happen to be related to Duke, but what on earth was wrong with that?!? I'd have been fairly pleased with how revealing that answer was, had I been the reporter. I genuinely don't understand the uproar.
    Well, part of being Duke is the microscope they are always under and the scrutiny they receive for virtually everything they do. The uproar occurred because Coach K was a bit direct with a new student reporter and the media thought they could run with it and stretch it to fill their narrative that Coach K is a sore loser.

I do think some coaches handle losses with more matter of fact type answers and less direct, and sometimes condescending, tones. Tony Bennett has always struck me as level headed and polite in his post game pressers, especially after losses.

I don’t think Coach K crossed any lines in his post game presser. As others have said, this was PG rated compared to some comments that have been made. I don’t think the kid was trying to poke the bear either. To me, he apologized, let’s move on.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Well, part of being Duke is the microscope they are always under and the scrutiny they receive for virtually everything they do. The uproar occurred because Coach K was a bit direct with a new student reporter and the media thought they could run with it and stretch it to fill their narrative that Coach K is a sore loser.

I do think some coaches handle losses with more matter of fact type answers and less direct, and sometimes condescending, tones. Tony Bennett has always struck me as level headed and polite in his post game pressers, especially after losses.

I don’t think Coach K crossed any lines in his post game presser. As others have said, this was PG rated compared to some comments that have been made. I don’t think the kid was trying to poke the bear either. To me, he apologized, let’s move on.
    I mean, we know Coach K can be a sore loser at times. That's part of what makes him so successful: he abhors losing. He gets extra testy after losses. Sometimes he handles it well and is magnanimous. Sometimes his emotions get the better of him (see the Dillon Brooks thing, for example).

While I agree that Coach K's response was less testy than it could have been based on Coach K's history, the issues I see are:
    1. Comparing to the really nasty responses he has given isn't exactly setting a high bar for appropriateness;
    2. The question was by a kid learning the ropes, not an adult professional used to that kind of abuse; and
    3. The question itself really wasn't a bad question that deserved a testy response. In fact, it was a totally reasonable question.

That said, I agree with your last sentence: Coach K apologized, and that should really be the end of it.

Sorry...Ks response was not “abuse”
    Testy for sure...not abuse
    The issue is that the reporter went on Twitter to make a spectacle of himself. When I was Assistant Sports Editor, Craig Whitlock (now of the Washington Post) and Rod Peele would have taken him off the beat for a month minimum. It would have been more severe with their predecessors. As a reporter, you are taught to never go out of your way to make yourself the story.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Sorry...Ks response was not “abuse”
    Testy for sure...not abuse
    I honestly don't think it was all that testy. A little, sure, but barely. The only really testy part about it was that K made the analogy personal. If he'd done exactly the same thing but assigning the student a hypothetical major, it wouldn't have been testy at all. As it was, you got the GOAT saying, in essence, "I don't know how the heck to fix this." That should be a pretty good story about K. Instead, as you pointed out, the reporter made it about himself when it didn't have to be.

Anyway, I've said my peace, so I'll let this go at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I honestly don't think it was all that testy. A little, sure, but barely. The only really testy part about it was that K made the analogy personal. If he'd done exactly the same thing but assigning the student a hypothetical major, it wouldn't have been testy at all. As it was, you got the GOAT saying, in essence, "I don't know how the heck to fix this." That should be a pretty good story about K. Instead, as you pointed out, the reporter made it about himself when it didn't have to be.

Anyway, I've said my peace, so I'll let this go at this point.
    We are blessed to have a coach that doesn't throw his players under the bus(looking at you ole roy). I really don't think Coach went over the line. Sure he could have handled it differently but I've seen him way worse than that.

GoDuke!

I think it was even more benign than that. To me, it was K trying to respond in a way the kid could relate to. Trying to meet the kid at his level, and I didn't think his tone was inappropriate at all. Plus, even if it was, if you're going to be a reporter and want to ask questions of coaches and players right after the heat of battle, you better expect that sometimes their tone is not exactly what it might be while taking a casual stroll around campus on a sunny Tuesday afternoon.

If this wasn't Duke and K, it would be a nothing burger.

Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We are blessed to have a coach that doesn't throw his players under the bus(looking at you ole roy). I really don't think Coach went over the line. Sure he could have handled it differently but I've seen him way worse than that.

GoDuke!
    Much ado about nothing. K's tone was appropriate and nothing he said should have offended anybody who wasn't hoping to be offended.

Glad we had that to distract us from being .500 late in January and on a three game losing streak. Now, hopefully we can get five player's on the same page and start changing our season tomorrow night. And the Chronicle kid has a strong post game question

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think it was even more benign than that. To me, it was K trying to respond in a way the kid could relate to. Trying to meet the kid at his level, and I didn't think his tone was inappropriate at all. Plus, even if it was, if you're going to be a reporter and want to ask questions of coaches and players right after the heat of battle, you better expect that sometimes their tone is not exactly what it might be while taking a casual stroll around campus on a sunny Tuesday afternoon.

If this wasn't Duke and K, it would be a nothing burger.

Next play.
    I agree with this. People are just looking for ways to make K look bad.