Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Louisville 70, Duke 65 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Bummer, needed that win. Had multiple chances with good lucks from 3 late but couldn't hit any of them. Foul calls at end of game on Hurt and JJ also huge (and hugely terrible calls). FT disparity killed us as well as being outrebounded/out toughed for loose balls I thought...Did show some fight though, just didn't execute when needed to down the stretch.

Hurt looked good (except for the fouling out part).

Can we really be as bad as we look?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What a terrible loss. Just a crusher. And yes Ozzie we may be that bad.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Disappointing but I do not believe Duke is as bad as they look. But I also think it won't be until next year until we see more consistently good performances from these players.

Another winnable game that Duke played good in spurts but just wasn’t consistent enough to win.

8-25 from 3 and only 9 free throws attempts with 15 turnovers. Lots of room for improvement. I’m still not counting this team out.

There's a lot to criticize but right now I would just like to see one break go their way. These kids are snakebit

The big question is, what does this team do well? And the answer is sadly nothing. No on court leadership, no alpha dog, average defense, average shooting g on a good night and they are STAGGERINGLY UNATHLETHIC. it’s just a poorly assembled roster with multiple players who do the same things. Another casualty of K’’s One and Done strategy that continues to prove it is a poor substitute for actually developing a program and team. NIT here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Can we really be as bad as we look?
    This team has not figured out how to win- or impose their will. They cannot get separation from teams. They make very bad mistakes in critical moments. Hurt has been great but he does not make others better. This team is struggling and may or may not break out of this. You need guys that can will their teams to wins and I don’t know who that is on the team. Maybe Duke wins if Hurt is on the floor. Duke had great looks from 3. Baker has the yips - and that is really disappointing. Need a reliable outside shooter- and Duke has only Hurt.

You know that they're trying, but there's so much improvement necessary. Top of the list for me: Hurt and Johnson both need to be on the floor at the end of games so stop committing so many soft touch fouls. As any youth coach would tell them, move your feet, don't reach, and keep your arms straight up. That way the refs don't have to make weak calls on you.

Maybe it's his age or the pandemic or this mix of players or some other variable but Coach K looks like he's lost his fire. Multiple critical incorrect foul calls go against us down the stretch and Coach K doesn't react. The flat play on the court is a reflection of the dispirited effort coming from the sideline.

Sorry in advance...not going to comment much on the game. We have the greatest coach of all time. No question. We are largely a spoiled fan base with high expectations. But the stat shown in the last two games is striking...first time in 50 years that the three premier blue blood programs are not ranked, all the more alarming given that all three have legends as coaches. My point is, has the pandemic really exposed the core flaw of the OAD model, which I believe to be an inability to cultivate seasoned leaders on the court with developed game. We just got torched by a veteran “self-made” player who knows how to play the game at this level. Is this the year Coach starts to deemphasize - at least slightly - getting the best player from HS and bring in more guys who can develop and lead? Perhaps he did this year and 2020-21 will be the growing pains to more mature teams later. This is a flawed and young team, pandemic or not. So does Coach change his philosophy?

This is about where we should have been in December, things coming together. This season is really killing young teams...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrezt View Post
    Disappointing but I do not believe Duke is as bad as they look. But I also think it won't be until next year until we see more consistently good performances from these players.
    As I mentioned in the he thread, this is the sort of team that 35 years ago you could say "they will be great in two or three years."

Hurt is by far our best offensive weapon, but I struggle to think of a recent Duke team he would start on.

We don't excel at anything. We are bigger/faster/tougher than everyone. We don't have better shooters or rebounders. We don't get to the free throw line often, but that doesn't matter because we aren't very good shooting there either.

We may win some games. We could beat UNC a time or two. But this team doesn't have much to strut about this far.

A MUCH better effort shown by the team that at Pitt.
    Our team was ready to go from the jump at a tough place to play.

Down by three with 8 seconds to go, DJ Stewart's in and out three attempt was a heartbreaker;
    but he had the onions to take the shot. Good for him. He will make that one in a future game to help us win.

But with 27 seconds to go and down by just 2, Joey Baker's three point attempt was a bad shot. Period.

Curious that JJ was out of the game for such a long time in the second half with just 3 fouls after his big game at Pitt.

If we are to become an NCAA Tournament team Jeremy Roach needs to grow up, be fearless and shoot the ball.

BTW- what is our recent record on the road with Ted Valentine as a referee ? Just wondrin'.

Next play; next game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Devil View Post
    The big question is, what does this team do well? And the answer is sadly nothing. No on court leadership, no alpha dog, average defense, average shooting g on a good night and they are STAGGERINGLY UNATHLETHIC. it’s just a poorly assembled roster with multiple players who do the same things. Another casualty of K’’s One and Done strategy that continues to prove it is a poor substitute for actually developing a program and team. NIT here we come!
    Johnson and Steward are staggeringly unathletic? Wow! Quite a statement. And I would gladly take two or three Mathew Hurts doing the same things.

Just don’t have a go to guy yet if Hurt is on the bench. I thought maybe Johnson might be, but the true freshman Johnson showed up tonight. The only good thing I can think of is next years’ team should, and I repeat should, have almost everybody back, with the exception of Hurt. Sadly, this years squad just can’t find that mojo yet, I still hope they can turn the corner and make a run. You just never know.

JJ should have been in

Why was JJ not in ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    A MUCH better effort shown by the team that at Pitt.
    Our team was ready to go from the jump at a tough place to play.

Down by three with 8 seconds to go, DJ Stewart's in and out three attempt was a heartbreaker;
    but he had the onions to take the shot. Good for him. He will make that one in a future game to help us win.

But with 27 seconds to go and down by just 2, Joey Baker's three point attempt was a bad shot. Period.

Curious that JJ was out of the game for such a long time in the second half with just 3 fouls after his big game at Pitt.

If we are to become an NCAA Tournament team Jeremy Roach needs to grow up, be fearless and shoot the ball.

BTW- what is our recent record on the road with Ted Valentine as a referee ? Just wondrin'.

Next play; next game.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Just don’t have a go to guy yet if Hurt is on the bench. I thought maybe Johnson might be, but the true freshman Johnson showed up tonight. The only good thing I can think of is next years’ team should, and I repeat should, have almost everybody back, with the exception of Hurt. Sadly, this years squad just can’t find that mojo yet, I still hope they can turn the corner and make a run. You just never know.
    I think that Johnson will join Hurt in heading to the NBA. But there are replacements on the way, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrezt View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing different Duke players next year.