Thread: RIP Hank Aaron

RIP Hank Aaron

Dammit

Hammerin' Hank was a hell of a player. Rest in Peace.

Icon, respected, tremendous person
    Godspeed Mr. Aaron.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I came here to post this sad news. Watching Hank hit 715 was exciting. RIP, Mr. Aaron.
    Bob Green

Hammering Hank.

He was one of the best players I was blessed to see. He hit for power, average, had good speed, good arm and was a terrific defender. We have lost some great players in the past year or so.

RIP... Prayers for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    He was one of the best players I was blessed to see. He hit for power, average, had good speed, good arm and was a terrific defender. We have lost some great players in the past year or so.

RIP... Prayers for the family.
    Aaron displayed tremendous grace when he was chasing the Babe's record. RIP.

An incredible athlete and perhaps more importantly, from everything I heard, an even better human being.

I believe just a few weeks ago he got the Covid shot in part to show the African-American community that it is safe.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ke-hank-aaron/

Fantastic look at the consistent greatness of one of the greatest to ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Aaron displayed tremendous grace when he was chasing the Babe's record. RIP.
    And courage, in light of the threats he received.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    An incredible athlete and perhaps more importantly, from everything I heard, an even better human being.

I believe just a few weeks ago he got the Covid shot in part to show the African-American community that it is safe.

This.

Yes, this one really hurts. I was a big fan of his starting from the time the Braves moved to Atlanta and I could see their baseball games regularly on TV.

Hank had grace on and off the field.

True story, there was a fund raising “greats of the game” at Richmond’s then Braves AAA ballpark back in the 80’s. Retired legends vs. local celebrities. I went to pickup tickets during lunch break, on my way back to my car who’s walking in? Mr. Aaron. I said, hello, told him I was a fan, still remembered watching 715. He was kind, offered an autograph, “so long as it’s not a blank check.” I only had my tickets, so he signed the envelope. How often do you meet a legend in a parking lot, and they’re nice enough to talk with you, and give you an autograph to mark the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    True story, there was a fund raising “greats of the game” at Richmond’s then Braves AAA ballpark back in the 80’s. Retired legends vs. local celebrities. I went to pickup tickets during lunch break, on my way back to my car who’s walking in? Mr. Aaron. I said, hello, told him I was a fan, still remembered watching 715. He was kind, offered an autograph, “so long as it’s not a blank check.” I only had my tickets, so he signed the envelope. How often do you meet a legend in a parking lot, and they’re nice enough to talk with you, and give you an autograph to mark the occasion.
    I never personally interacted with Hank Aaron, but I'm not surprised that he this gracious with you.

In April 1974, he was tied with Babe Ruth. I was 16 years old, and about to have surgery on my shoulder. The surgery was supposed to be that Monday morning, but something happened that postponed the surgery until Tuesday. Fortunately for me (the world's biggest baseball fan, then and now), I watched the game on NBC Monday Night Baseball that Monday night in my hospital room, and he hit the HR off Al Downing. I'll never forget the broadcast call of the HR, or, especially, the young white guys trying to get to him as he approached 3rd base to congratulate him. That was quite a night.

In the early seventies, my roommate and I would drive down to Atlanta (his home) to see the Braves play and watch Hank close in on 714. The Braves were pretty lousy, but we loved sitting in the upper deck, sipping beer, hanging out.

One day (as usual) almost no one was sitting in the upper deck (above left field) except for us...one day we sat there and the only people around us were about four little kids (maybe 10 years old) who were running around, screaming and doing what kids do..at one point we notice they are leaning over the railing to look below them, and they all started pouring Coca Cola down below, then they'd jump back and giggle. It occurred to us (though we couldn't see him) that Chief Nok-a-Homa resided down below in his tee-pee. This went on for some time, the kids would pour Coke, jump back and giggle, run around.

A few minutes later I sense movement near me (the seats nears us were deserted) and stomping down the aisle directly next to me comes Noka a Homa himself, about eight feet tall with his headdress, and he's got Coca Cola dripping all over his feathers, head and shoulders. The Chief was NOT a happy man.

Meanwhile the kids are leaning over the railing wondering where the Chief went, went he tapped them on the shoulders...I thought they were going to pass out from fright, the Chief was really pissed, and for a moment we feared he was going to toss a kid or two over the railing. Not something I'll soon forget.

My Dad was born and raised in Decatur and a die hard Braves fan so games were always on the radio and TV. I also got to see Hank play at the old Fulton County Stadium as a young boy. Two things:

First apologies to Vin Scully and the DBR front page but the Milo Hamilton’s call is the definitive 715 call. My neighbor and I used to act it out “Sittin’ on 714...there’s a new home run champion of all time and it’s Henry Aaron...”.

https://youtu.be/BNZl6HN5c-0

Second, what a travesty!
    4601FE12-58E7-4DBE-B063-E5EB02B5C771.jpg

It would be great to see the Braves adopt the old 70s uniforms to honor Knuxy and Hank this year. I love the little “a”.

Side note, how much longer will they remain the Braves?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    My Dad was born and raised in Decatur and a die hard Braves fan so games were always on the radio and TV. I also got to see Hank play at the old Fulton County Stadium as a young boy. Two things:

First apologies to Vin Scully and the DBR front page but the Milo Hamilton’s call is the definitive 715 call. My neighbor and I used to act it out “Sittin’ on 714...there’s a new home run champion of all time and it’s Henry Aaron...”.

https://youtu.be/BNZl6HN5c-0

Second, what a travesty!
    4601FE12-58E7-4DBE-B063-E5EB02B5C771.jpg

It would be great to see the Braves adopt the old 70s uniforms to honor Knuxy and Hank this year. I love the little “a”.

Side note, how much longer will they remain the Braves?
    Fantastic post.

I guess this happens to everyone in most sports, but losses of guys who dominated baseball when I was a young Turk have been piling up, these past months. Stay healthy, all-stars!!

Hank
    Don Sutton
    Phil Niekro
    Tom Seaver
    Lou Brock
    Bob Gibson
    Jay Johnstone
    Al Kaline
    Joe Morgan

Some of Henry Aaron's stats:
    1) 755 home runs and none aided by steriods.
    2) 2297 RBI. Still the all time record.
    3) 3 Gold Gloves
    4) 25 All Star games.

He has to be near the top of the list for best baseball player of all time and I'm a Cardinal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Some of Henry Aaron's stats:
    1) 755 home runs and none aided by steriods.
    2) 2297 RBI. Still the all time record.
    3) 3 Gold Gloves
    4) 25 All Star games.

He has to be near the top of the list for best baseball player of all time and I'm a Cardinal fan.
    All-time leader in total bases at 6,856, per baseball-reference.com.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I guess this happens to everyone in most sports, but losses of guys who dominated baseball when I was a young Turk have been piling up, these past months. Stay healthy, all-stars!!

Hank
    Don Sutton
    Phil Niekro
    Tom Seaver
    Lou Brock
    Bob Gibson
    Jay Johnstone
    Al Kaline
    Joe Morgan
    I am also a fan of Jay Johnstone. It is interesting that he appears on a 9-member list along with 8 Hall-of-Famers.