Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You want to drink all that beer BEFORE climbing the highest mountain in Africa?!?!

You’re a wildcat, OPK! Can’t nobody tame a wildcat!
    That, and to supply up for the trip. Can't have a porter without a porter.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ah, yes. K2.

Have you seen the movie, "The Summit?" It's a "a documentary that chronicles the deadliest day in K2's history. The film, directed by Nick Ryan, attempts to piece together what happened on a single day in 2008, when 11 climbers perished on the second-highest mountain in the world."

Two Americans were there, one of whom is a doctor living in my town, Steamboat Springs. Another climber, a Sherpa named Chhiring Dorje Sherpa, was sponsored and moved with his family to Steamboat because of his heroism.

Anyway, it was shown at the local theater with the key persona present. I do not like heights, even though I ski black slopes -- but, I repeat, I do not like heights. The movie began with a picture of K2. Holy moly, it is the most forbidding looking mountain I had ever seen. I would have left the theater except that I was stuck next to the wall and couldn't easily get out.

The movie was sponsored by the film boards of Norway, Ireland and the Netherlands (I believe). It has some live video of the ascent, and it is intermixed with a re-filming on Mont Blanc. One live shot is of the group of climbers who reached the summit. Several of them died on the descent. Very eerie experience. I mean like -- I don't know anything like it.

There was a traffic jam that occurred at Camp 4 because of weather. There were teams from multiple countries several European teams, Koreans, and two Americans with Chhiring. All decided to go on the same day. The Americans said, "No way," and stayed at the base camp. The different national teams agreed to work together, but the Korean teams did not do their job of roping a substantial section of the mountain. Therefore, there were delays, which contributed to the tragedy.

Here's a summary of the story, with pictures. The Americans dispute many of the details and claim that Chhiring was a hero, but sponsoring film boards left him out in favor of their own nationals. The "dead Koreans" depicted were actually Sherpas working for the Korean team, whose leader treated the Sherpas very badly.

Anyway, I don't know of a movie like it..
    I have indeed seen this movie, but this is a great synopsis and encapsulation of just how risky this stuff is and how things get murky very easily up there. You might have inspired me to watch this one again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That, and to supply up for the trip. Can't have a porter without a porter.
    Is that why all the antelope in Africa are springbocks?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Attachment 12363
    That said, the Kilimanjaro/Serengeti area is utterly breathtaking. My wife and I were fortunate enough to do a trip there in 2015, and it's my favorite place I've ever been by a fairly wide margin (even allowing for the fact that I'm lucky enough to have traveled to quite a few other really stunning places).
    Now I really wanna go. I'll read 'hills like white elephants' tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I have indeed seen this movie, but this is a great synopsis and encapsulation of just how risky this stuff is and how things get murky very easily up there. You might have inspired me to watch this one again.
    What I didn't say in my first post, because it's quite trivial, is that there was one woman on the climb, a Norwegian named Cecille. Sad story in that, while she made the summit and survived, her husband died. She was so beautiful I thought the film-makers had cast an actress in her role -- nope it was her.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What I didn't say in my first post, because it's quite trivial, is that there was one woman on the climb, a Norwegian named Cecille. Sad story in that, while she made the summit and survived, her husband died. She was so beautiful I thought the film-makers had cast an actress in her role -- nope it was her.
    Ah yes, the athletic Meg Ryan.

Has anyone seen "The Epic of Everest"? I just remembered it. The British Film Institute restored the film made of Mallory's 1924 attempt where he died. Some might find an 97-year-old silent documentary boring, but probably not the readers of this thread. Pretty stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Epic of Everest"? I just remembered it. The British Film Institute restored the film made of Mallory's 1924 attempt where he died. Some might find an 97-year-old silent documentary boring, but probably not the readers of this thread. Pretty stunning.
    Here's a family plug: One of the best TV programs I have ever seen was the PBS Nova program in 2000 on the discovery of Mallory's body on Everest. Yep, there it was.

My brother-in-law did the music, which I thought was brilliant and appropriately eerie.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013