DBR Podcast #272 - Pitt Recap and mushroom hate

Mushroom hate? Huh? Well, you will need to listen (start at about the 6:00 mark) to figure out what we are talking about.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP5535785867

We talk about falling behind early and how #!^@^ frustrating it is; we let you hear from Coach K on his frustrations with the team; and we preview what is shaping up as a HUGE game against Louisville.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Regarding the slow starts, poor defense from the go: i'd like to see a starting 5 of Hurt, Johnson, Moore, J-Gold and Steward. I'd like to see a zone-press defense which turns into m2m once/if the ball crosses half court. Johnson obviously deserves to start over Jaemyn Brakefield, but i'd like to see Moore start b/c he has a) experience b) length c) defensive intensity which Jeremy Roach does not have. Also, i'd like to see Roach shooting fewer 3s and get back to being a PG who finds people.
    I think the starting 5 i listed would be able to bring defensive intensity that we haven't seen yet this year. Hurt + Johnson + Steward is a good offensive trio, with each having a different skillset. The JJ drive n kick to an open Moore was a good offensive play vs Pitt, and it would be great if that could become a more regular feature. Letting J-Gold loose to wreak havoc and pick up steals also allows him to play to his strengths. Bringing Roach off the bench to spell either of J-Gold or DJ and allowing Brakefield to spell Hurt-JJ-Moore allows everyone to play with more intensity.
    I don't know about the trio of Tapé, Williams and Coleman: i don't see how they deserve more than 10-15 mpg combined. I was hopeful that Tapé would play with more brute force, but that's not his game. Williams is long and lean but he has Fr. Matthew Hurt syndrome, in that he's not strong enough to hold his position. We just haven't seen enough of HC3 to have much of an idea what he's capable of.
    Another point Jason was making in the podcast: as pointed out in the post-game thread, outside of the first 2 minutes and the 5 min stretch around the half, Duke won the game by about 20 pts. the first minutes of the game are an area of concern but also the minutes around the half are wildly inconsistent.
    As far as opponents 3FG% and non-steal turnovers: perhaps one reason we are so bad at both is due to the effort Duke puts towards trying to generate steals, which leaves the other team at an advantage if Duke doesn't come up withe steal.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 01-21-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I don't know about the trio of Tapé, Williams and Coleman: i don't see how they deserve more than 10-15 mpg combined. I was hopeful that Tapé would play with more brute force, but that's not his game. Williams is long and lean but he has Fr. Matthew Hurt syndrome, in that he's not strong enough to hold his position. We just haven't seen enough of HC3 to have much of an idea what he's capable of.
    I don't want to be mean to the kid, but I now see why Tapé was concerned about being able to play a role for Duke and I suspect he would have been better off picking a lesser program. From what I have seen, he simply does not have the quickness, strength, and athleticism to be impactful. His defense is particularly poor for a player so experienced (not entirely his fault as I think he simply does not have the athletic gifts to be a good defender) and the length and speed of ACC-level big men seem to flummox his offensive efforts.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?