Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Wow wow wow! What a turnaround. The defense in the second half was staunch after looking like they weren't sure how to play early on. Very exciting win.

Defensive adjustments and midfield scoring turned the game on its head. Man-down unit is really solid.

Uppgren gets my vote for MOTM.

Nice comeback. Great play by Uppgren off the bench. We need to figure out faceoffs. We really displayed our depth - so many contributors.

Uppgren for sure was terrific. Adler looked like the stage was too big for him.

Definitely need to work on faceoffs. Maybe one or more of our guys can make the kind of improvement the Denver guy did from last week, when he won 40%.

Duke’s D-mids were especially good. A bagel for Hanna, who scored six against us last year.

Six CTs and 20-21 on clears helped make up for the FO and GB deficits.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Uppgren gets my vote for MOTM.
    Agreed. I would also give him the start on Sunday.

FOGO needs work, but an early-season top 5 win in the opener is not too much to complain about. Go Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nice comeback. Great play by Uppgren off the bench. We need to figure out faceoffs. We really displayed our depth - so many contributors.
    yeah, the grad transfer goalie must have had a case of nerves because he was real bad ...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, the grad transfer goalie must have had a case of nerves because he was real bad ...
    So was our defense in the 1st quarter and change. Much better in the 2nd half.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

No one has said it yet, but freshman Brennan O'Neill is the real deal. What a physical specimen.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    No one has said it yet, but freshman Brennan O'Neill is the real deal. What a physical specimen.
    Yup. It was fun watching him play. On the flip side of that, I didn't realize Sowers was so small. When the team huddles up you can really see the difference in size.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yup. It was fun watching him play. On the flip side of that, I didn't realize Sowers was so small. When the team huddles up you can really see the difference in size.
    Yep. He seemed to have trouble handling the physicality of the Denver defense. I thought he would be able to offset that with quickness, buy at least today he couldn't/didn't.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke’s defensive efficiency in the last three quarters was elite: 23.8 percent (five goals allowed on 21 possessions). You’ll take that any time you can get it.

On the flip side, Duke hit for 41.4 percent offensive efficiency for the game (12 goals on 29 possessions). That’s not chopped liver, either.

Yep. He seemed to have trouble handling the physicality of the Denver defense. I thought he would be able to offset that with quickness, buy at least today he couldn't/didn't.
    It may take him a while to figure out how to play with this group and what his best role will be. Quint K. was saying that he operated in a very different kind of offense at Princeton--one where he was the center of everything.

I thought his best play was the caused turnover on the ride in the second quarter. Plays like that can change the emotional temperature of a game. We didn’t see it, but I’m sure the Duke bench went nuts (we saw how the bench reacted to Catlett’s first career goal).

You can just tell he’s got “it.”

In case you missed all or part of the game, it’s now available on demand on ESPN+, and there will be a replay on ACCN at 2:00 a.m. Eastern tomorrow.

I thought his best play was the caused turnover on the ride in the second quarter. Plays like that can change the emotional temperature of a game. We didn’t see it, but I’m sure the Duke bench went nuts (we saw how the bench reacted to Catlett’s first career goal).
    It was no doubt the play of the game. Added to the goalie swap the momentum shift was palatable.

Who got credit for the "own goal?" I have never seen a score like that.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Who got credit for the "own goal?" I have never seen a score like that.
    Sowers got credit for a fine left-footed volley from just outside the six-yard box.

Sowers got credit for a fine left-footed volley from just outside the six-yard box.
    Announcers said Sowers got credit because he was closest to the goal when the ball went in. I don't know if that is the rule or they were riffing on other sports, but it seems right. But is was a crucial play. Also maybe a first. I think it was Quint who was saying he had never seen a play like that.