Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Denver hung on to beat Utah, 9-8. The Utes’ defense held the Pios to one goal in the first half, and killed 7 of 8 man-down situations on the afternoon. Denver took its first lead with :14 to go in the third, and built a three-goal cushion midway through the fourth before some questionable game-management decisions let Utah back in it.
    Apparently T.D. Ierlan is in the process of transferring to Denver, but there are some hoops to jump through--he is not on the roster yet. Seems likely he would have made a difference in the Utah game, where Denver apparently won only 40% of the face offs. Here's hoping he is still not on the roster on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I love to watch lacrosse but do not keep track of all of the roster moves that much. So thanks very much for the information in this thread.

I get the impression due to NCAA rules allowing for another year of eligibility and the transfers that the talent is most certainly coming to Duke. It also appears that some other schools are getting the top transfers.

My overall question then becomes...is the talent being concentrated at a few schools and would this make only some of the games competitive?

Or is the talent being evenly distributed?

Thanks
    The big winners in the transfer portal, other than Duke, appear to have been Denver (Morrill and Cotler from Yale) and Notre Dame (a couple of guys from Penn). Virginia and Maryland got key players back who had originally left to play FCS football.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wonder with whom (grammar!) they'll pair Sowers, perhaps Robertson (the Princeton one)? Very interesting to see how Coach John sets his lineup...perhaps I'm wrong but I see at least seven solid candidates for lots of playing time at attack: two Robertsons, Sowers, Manown, O'Neill, Walsh and Williams...nary a slouch in that bunch. Might someone migrate to midfield?
    There’s been speculation on IL and CollegeCrosse that O’Neill may end up running midfield. Basile also has the size and straight-line speed to be an effective alley-dodger.

The big winners in the transfer portal, other than Duke, appear to have been Denver (Morrill and Cotler from Yale) and Notre Dame (a couple of guys from Penn). Virginia and Maryland got key players back who had originally left to play FCS football.
    Thanks. So the season opener with Denver and the 2 Notre Dame games are must watch games

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    FWIW, there is currently no listing for College Lacrosse Friday 2/5 on the ACCN TV schedule

There is a listing for College Lacrosse Saturday 2/6 at 4:00 PM --- teams not specified

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listin...964/2021-02-06
    The Saturday game is Virginia - Towson.

Anish tweeted about preparing for three games this weekend, so it sounds like ESPN is sending the varsity. Hope the weather allows the game to be played at Koskinen, although it would be funny to see them set up outside the fence on the turf fields, with interns holding umbrellas over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Thanks. So the season opener with Denver and the 2 Notre Dame games are must watch games
    All conference games are must-watch; all five teams are in the top 7-9 depending on which poll you look at. Watch out for Richmond and High Point, too.

Anish tweeted about preparing for three games this weekend, so it sounds like ESPN is sending the varsity. Hope the weather allows the game to be played at Koskinen, although it would be funny to see them set up outside the fence on the turf fields, with interns holding umbrellas over their heads.
    Yes, listing now shows Denver vs Duke at 3:00 PM Friday 2/5 on ACC Network.

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/...tDate/20210205

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yes, listing now shows Denver vs Duke at 3:00 PM Friday 2/5 on ACC Network.

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/...tDate/20210205
    I have to admit I'm looking forward to that much more than the hoop game the next day...

Do we know that they will be doing the game in-person? The remote announcer games seem to be getting much more popular now. As the networks are trying to manage their budgets as well as covid-exposure, I'm guessing that sending announcers to Durham for an early-season lax game is not a high priority.

forecast FWIW is for chance of rain and 55 degrees on Friday...not ideal, but not the worst...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Do we know that they will be doing the game in-person? The remote announcer games seem to be getting much more popular now. As the networks are trying to manage their budgets as well as covid-exposure, I'm guessing that sending announcers to Durham for an early-season lax game is not a high priority.
    We don’t know, but the logistics are pretty manageable. Set up base camp at the Washington Duke, drive to C’ville Saturday morning, and drive to Chapel Hell on Senday.

The big news today: Yale has pulled the plug on 2021.

The big news today: Yale has pulled the plug on 2021.
    That would explain why Ierlan is looking to transfer. Thankfully we look like we have a couple of good options at X. Not as good as Ierlan (not many are) but with the strength of the rest of our roster, as long as we don't get crushed by him on Friday (assuming he is on the roster by then) we should be ok. Should be a really fun game to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    That would explain why Ierlan is looking to transfer. Thankfully we look like we have a couple of good options at X. Not as good as Ierlan (not many are) but with the strength of the rest of our roster, as long as we don't get crushed by him on Friday (assuming he is on the roster by then) we should be ok. Should be a really fun game to watch.
    It will be interesting to see who adapts well to the new rules and who struggles. Denver’s highly-regarded Alex Stathakis got his lunch eaten against Utah. Wing play, a traditional Duke strength, may be even more important.

ACCN schedule for February: 16 games, eight men’s and eight women’s.Duke men appear twice, Duke women three times.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...chedules/57226

It will be interesting to see who adapts well to the new rules and who struggles. Denver’s highly-regarded Alex Stathakis got his lunch eaten against Utah. Wing play, a traditional Duke strength, may be even more important.
    Yeah, I hadn’t thought about that. But I have to guess someone as good as Ierlan will still find a way to dominant or as dominant as the rules will allow.

ACC coaches picked Duke to come in second in the Conference - Syracuse first.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    ACC coaches picked Duke to come in second in the Conference - Syracuse first.
    According to Inside Lacrosse, they have several AA candidates including the first team goalie and 2 middies but I still have a hard time thinking they can keep up with the endless firepower we should be rolling out this season. BTW, transfer goalie for Duke Mike Adler checks in as second team AA. Also, IL has the top five in the country as 1. Duke 2. Syracuse 3. UVA 4. UNC and 5 MD. That's the top four for the acc and number 5 with an * (why the in the hell did MD leave the acc? Still think it was a bad decision). Oh and ND shows up at 7. Looks like a brutal season in the acc. Some really good teams are going to have some mediocre looking records.

FWIW, I found an article in which Ierlan said he hopes to join Denver's team by March 19 or so...so presumably we won't see him tomorrow.

An excellent game-day read from USLacrosse Magazine.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/colleg...ed-its-passion

Let’s do this!