Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    We got exposed today. Could not or would not match ND's physicality. Turnovers more than offset our face off margin. Again and again Duke was unable to get inside their defender. Sowers came up small in a game where we needed him to come up big. I know how much he has been hyped, but in the last two games he has virtually disappeared. (I know he got cheated out of a goal today, but even that was too little too late.) Dano somehow needs to get them to focus and be tougher. Maybe the unbeaten streak was a distraction. Next play.
    To be fair, in the previous game Sowers drew a lot of defensive attention that likely freed up Robertson and others to get good scoring opportunities. That did not happen today, for whatever reason, although Carcaterra suggested that the ND defender on Sowers did a terrific job.

[QUOTE=MCFinARL;1360868]To be fair, in the previous game Sowers drew a lot of defensive attention that likely freed up Robertson and others to get good scoring opportunities. That did not happen today, for whatever reason, although Carcaterra suggested that the ND defender on Sowers did a terrific job.]

I agree that Carolina used a gimmick defense on Sowers which created opportunities for other players. Robertson made them pay. ND played it straight. Sowers is not very big so he cannot outmuscle opponents (unlike O'Neill). Instead Sowers has to rely on speed and guile, kind of like Jordan Wolf. I didn't see any of that today. We seem to play a lot of isolation offense (looking at you Owen Caputo) which may make us easy to defense. Certainly we created no separation from the defenders today. We have so much unused talent (Phil Robertson, Joey Manown) that it is disturbing to see the guys playing not producing.

Better to have a game like this in April than in May. We’ll have a chance to learn from it and bounce back in C’ville on Thursday night.

[QUOTE=buddy;1360874]
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    To be fair, in the previous game Sowers drew a lot of defensive attention that likely freed up Robertson and others to get good scoring opportunities. That did not happen today, for whatever reason, although Carcaterra suggested that the ND defender on Sowers did a terrific job.]

I agree that Carolina used a gimmick defense on Sowers which created opportunities for other players. Robertson made them pay. ND played it straight. Sowers is not very big so he cannot outmuscle opponents (unlike O'Neill). Instead Sowers has to rely on speed and guile, kind of like Jordan Wolf. I didn't see any of that today. We seem to play a lot of isolation offense (looking at you Owen Caputo) which may make us easy to defense. Certainly we created no separation from the defenders today. We have so much unused talent (Phil Robertson, Joey Manown) that it is disturbing to see the guys playing not producing.
    To your point, I expect the portal to scramble this signicantly. The old days where guys earned pretty significant PT (like Manown and Joe Stein) early and then get buried are gonna be a thing of the past.

[QUOTE=devilirium;1360922]
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post

To your point, I expect the portal to scramble this signicantly. The old days where guys earned pretty significant PT (like Manown and Joe Stein) early and then get buried are gonna be a thing of the past.
    I was looking at the roster earlier in the week and saw Manown's name and was surprised that I haven't heard his name this year - has he been injured? He is in his 5th year - looks like he has gotten into five games so far.

I was watching on and off so only saw about half the game. The issue I have seen all year and saw again today was our clearing seems to always be an adventure - it is always too close for comfort. On the other side, teams seem to clear really easily on us - our attackmen don't seem to put too much effort into riding the opposition after we lose possession. I don't know if this is an energy issue (in which case guys like Manown should be getting more PT to give them some rest) or something else. We also took several long distance shots early in the shot clock. That works in HS or against bad teams but not against the elite.

Every ACC game is going to be a battle and we hit ND on a great day for them while we had a weak day. Looking forward to bouncing back vs. UVA Thursday then we face ND again a week from Thursday.

I didn't watch the game until today. As with our other ACC games, seemed like the difference was a few plays that could have gone either way. In this one, the key ones to me were two pieces of Irish luck -- the blind pass over the back near the end of the first half that wound up being a perfect pass to an open player in the slot, and the save which bounced off Adler's helmet into the cross of the player on the doorstep.

As with the other games, it seemed to me we had a lot of great individual play, but lost the team game. Adler and Naso,to me, are the X factors that could win the tourney for us. They've been great.

End of 1 at Klöckner and Duke leads the Hoos 4-3.

Lacrosse is such a great spectator sport, I really wish we had more ACC schools fielding men’s lacrosse teams. This sport really has potential.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Lacrosse is such a great spectator sport, I really wish we had more ACC schools fielding men’s lacrosse teams. This sport really has potential.
    Really, the barrier to entry is that it's expensive—most youth programs and middle- and high-school teams don't subsidize the gear you need to play.

Aside from that, though, everything else about the sport fits the American sports market to a T. You can use any soccer or football field to play, so there are plenty of stadiums already built; there's enough scoring, pace, and contact to satisfy American audiences; there are enough stoppages in play to provide a suitable number of commercial slots; and there are a lot of strategic choices teams can make that impact the outcome of the game.

Duke leads 7-6 at the half. Virginia ended the second half with momentum but Duke will be man-up to start the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Really, the barrier to entry is that it's expensive—most youth programs and middle- and high-school teams don't subsidize the gear you need to play.

Aside from that, though, everything else about the sport fits the American sports market to a T. You can use any soccer or football field to play, so there are plenty of stadiums already built; there's enough scoring, pace, and contact to satisfy American audiences; there are enough stoppages in play to provide a suitable number of commercial slots; and there are a lot of strategic choices teams can make that impact the outcome of the game.
    I think that the barrier for colleges to add teams is Title IX. Men’s teams can carry 50+/- players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I think that the barrier for colleges to add teams is Title IX. Men’s teams can carry 50+/- players.
    This is also true—very good point. In hindsight, my post was more about expansion at the youth level. At the collegiate level you're spot on.

Sowers seems like he’s starting to cook. Hopefully the D can firm up.

Turned it on just in time.

Come on defense! Need a stand here.

Man, I thought we got jobbed by the refs with that push call but we just got bailed out big time.

Faceoff needs to step up. Exciting game.

Virginia had a last-second score disqualified by the shooter being inside the goalie box. Replay shows it was a bad call. There's no replay review in NCAA Lacrosse?
    Game tied 12-12 going to overtime.

Duke wins!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Virginia had a last-second score disqualified by the shooter being inside the goalie box. Replay shows it was a bad call. There's no replay review in NCAA Lacrosse?
    Game tied 12-12 going to overtime.
    As they explained, it was the right call as he landed within the inner crease.

Robertson!!!!!!!

Huge win. Great game by Adler.