Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Oooops. Typo alert. The second game score was 27-12. Sorry about that.
    27-12 is bad enough--but it's not unconscionable.

Women’s Lax

Duke women’s lacrosse is getting beaten badly by a strong Syracuse team today down 9 goals in the first half. Seems we are likely to experience another mediocre ACC season (and season overall). For a program with so many assets, hard to fathom why it isn’t doing better. The team is 28-34 in ACC play over the past 10 years (with only 3 winning seasons), has missed the NCAA tournament, and has slid down the recruiting rankings. Coach Kimel is beloved and has inspired so many with her fight against cancer. But the results on the field seem subpar relative to the bar she set early in her career and what Duke should be able to achieve. For a team that is usually in the top 20, this may seem harsh but they can and should be better.

I know there probably aren’t that many women’s lax fan outs there, but I have a question for you all.

I am curious how others think about situations like this. Kimel is a credit to the school, her players graduate and represent us well, and we have a solid team year in and year out.

However, the program is clearly stuck in neutral and is in fact losing ground to our conference mates, we aren’t threatening to win the ACC, recruiting is down, and missing the tournament from time to time isn’t inexcusable given our schedule but seems like it should cause deep reflection given the resources.

If you were AD would stay the course or look to make a change?

From my time on campus, most of the women’s lax team was more interested in partying than playing lax. Not sure how things are now, but I’m not sure it’s a coaching issue.

Men on tomorrow vs Richmond on ESPN+

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    From my time on campus, most of the women’s lax team was more interested in partying than playing lax. Not sure how things are now, but I’m not sure it’s a coaching issue.
    A hypothetical question. If a coach consistently recruits players who consistently prioritize partying over playing, then wouldn't that be a coaching problem?

Hypothetically.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtelp View Post
    Duke women’s lacrosse is getting beaten badly by a strong Syracuse team today down 9 goals in the first half. Seems we are likely to experience another mediocre ACC season (and season overall). For a program with so many assets, hard to fathom why it isn’t doing better. The team is 28-34 in ACC play over the past 10 years (with only 3 winning seasons), has missed the NCAA tournament, and has slid down the recruiting rankings. Coach Kimel is beloved and has inspired so many with her fight against cancer. But the results on the field seem subpar relative to the bar she set early in her career and what Duke should be able to achieve. For a team that is usually in the top 20, this may seem harsh but they can and should be better.

I know there probably aren’t that many women’s lax fan outs there, but I have a question for you all.

I am curious how others think about situations like this. Kimel is a credit to the school, her players graduate and represent us well, and we have a solid team year in and year out.

However, the program is clearly stuck in neutral and is in fact losing ground to our conference mates, we aren’t threatening to win the ACC, recruiting is down, and missing the tournament from time to time isn’t inexcusable given our schedule but seems like it should cause deep reflection given the resources.

If you were AD would stay the course or look to make a change?
    Make a change . Field Hockey too Recruit international Dutch and Belgians are superior to USA women

Duke lax scores three goals in the first four minutes, leads the pesky (ranked) Richmond Spiders 3-0...

^ Hopefully it will get “late early”for the Spiders. They were pretty tough vs Heels a few weeks ago.

5-2 Duke. Duke is getting outshot. Adler has been great in goal.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

7-3 Duke - we have a lot of guys that can score.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

9-3 halftime.

9-3 at the half. I hate that I can't watch it. Evn worse that I can't be there.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Early in the season I felt that turnovers were frequently caused by poor passes - over the heads of the intended. We seem now to be much more accurate in passing. Possibly the result of more practice?

Biggest news of the day: there is a crowd (not more than a couple of hundred, but a crowd is a crowd) inside Robins Stadium.

Duke’s offense went off the boil for about 15 minutes, but a second four-goal run late in Q2 built the half-time advantage to 9-3.

Adler has been solid.

11-3 now. Five to go in the 3rd. Adler w/ 9 saves.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

13-6 is your final. Very solid performance by the team, especially Adler in goal w/ 15 saves.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

13-6 is your final. Big day for Adler with 15 saves. Career day for Brower, who double-bageled Richmond’s high-scoring attackman Richie Connell.

A little sloppy with the ball (15 turnovers), which one imagines will be addressed in practice tomorrow.

I can't comment beyond Gametracker, and I'm not holding out hope for a Duke lacrosse radio broadcast like baseball has.

For comparison, UNC won @Richmond 14-9 and beat Mercer 16-8 this weekend. (Yes, we can look ahead as fans while the team focuses on High Point.)

The High Point game is on at the same time as our theoretical ACC-T game with Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    For comparison, UNC won @Richmond 14-9 and beat Mercer 16-8 this weekend.
    It’s still early in the year, but I think Duke and the other school are pretty easily 1 and 2 with a margin in between the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I can't comment beyond Gametracker, and I'm not holding out hope for a Duke lacrosse radio broadcast like baseball has.

For comparison, UNC won @Richmond 14-9 and beat Mercer 16-8 this weekend. (Yes, we can look ahead as fans while the team focuses on High Point.)

The High Point game is on at the same time as our theoretical ACC-T game with Louisville.
    I'll be watching lacrosse.