Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
By the way, if anyone ever has an opportunity to speak with Duke coach John Danowski, it's well worth it...he's a marvelous individual (as well as the winningest lax coach ever) and he never engages in "coach speak." He's direct and articulate, and a real pleasure to chat with...no wonder he does so well teaching kids how to play lacrosse.
Two Coach Dano stories:

1. I was at Duke lacrosse camp in middle school. We were at a morning session with probably forty or so campers and a few players. I kind of got my pads and gear on a bit faster than others, and Coach Dano just said, “let’s have a catch!” Before I knew it I was tossing around with him, his son Matt—arguably the greatest player in Duke history—and midfielder Brad Ross who was my favorite player on the team. Just super cool.

2. This wasn’t me, but I heard this secondhand. There was a kid trying to get his autograph as the team was boarding a bus to go travel to an away game. Not only did Dano stop the bus to get the kid his autograph, but let the kid on the bus and made sure that every player on the team gave him an autograph too.

We’re insanely lucky to have him at Duke.