Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Coach K retirement press conference

I am not ordinarily a fan of multiple threads on the same topic, but I think it is worth having a thread that is separate from all the general "K retirement/Scheyer succession" comments to discuss his farewell press conference coming up in about an hour.

To get it started, here is the run of show for today's event, as sent to me a short time ago by the Duke SID:

Mike Krzyzewski Press Conference – 11:30 a.m.

* Remarks from Duke University President Vincent E. Price, from Duke University Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White, and from incoming Vice President and Director of Athletics Nina King.

* Remarks from Duke Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski.

* Media Q&A with Coach K -- media will be directed to one of two microphones on each side of Cameron to ask questions. You may remove your mask when asking a question, and please identify yourself with name and affiliation before asking your first question.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am not ordinarily a fan of multiple threads on the same topic, but I think it is worth having a thread that is separate from all the general "K retirement/Scheyer succession" comments to discuss his farewell press conference coming up in about an hour.

To get it started, here is the run of show for today's event, as sent to me a short time ago by the Duke SID:
    Will the event be televised?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Well, what did DBR do the last time there was a men's basketball coaching change?

Sent from Iron Dukes:

ESPN and ACC Network have two days of programming planned to cover the Duke men's basketball announcements of Mike Krzyzewski's final season in 2021-22 and the naming of Jon Scheyer as the next head coach.

The press conference for Krzyzewski will air live on ACC Network beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, while ESPN's First Take will be live with the press conference from 11:30 until noon. Continuing coverage will move to ESPN2 within SportsCenter starting at noon.

Thursday’s schedule also includes a number of guests on ACC Network's Packer & Durham Show, beginning at 7 a.m. ET. Throughout the day, classic Duke Basketball games will be featured. ACC Network's documentary, "The Class that Saved Coach K" will air at 7 p.m., followed by "An Evening with the Class that Saved Coach K" at 8:30 p.m. The latter program provides a behind the scenes look at an intimate dinner with Coach K and members of the 1982 class.

On Friday, ACC Network will be live with Scheyer's press conference at 11 a.m.
    Last edited by CrazyNotCrazie; 06-03-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: sourcing

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sent from Iron Dukes:

ESPN and ACC Network have two days of programming planned to cover the Duke men's basketball announcements of Mike Krzyzewski's final season in 2021-22 and the naming of Jon Scheyer as the next head coach.

The press conference for Krzyzewski will air live on ACC Network beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, while ESPN's First Take will be live with the press conference from 11:30 until noon. Continuing coverage will move to ESPN2 within SportsCenter starting at noon.

Thursday’s schedule also includes a number of guests on ACC Network's Packer & Durham Show, beginning at 7 a.m. ET. Throughout the day, classic Duke Basketball games will be featured. ACC Network's documentary, "The Class that Saved Coach K" will air at 7 p.m., followed by "An Evening with the Class that Saved Coach K" at 8:30 p.m. The latter program provides a behind the scenes look at an intimate dinner with Coach K and members of the 1982 class.

So if I want to watch the whole press conference I should tune in to the ACC Network (but you can watch it on the other channels if you don't mind switching around for folks that don't have the ACC Network). Is that a fair takaway here?

Edit: Thanks for writing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, what did DBR do the last time there was a men's basketball coaching change?
    Find the inspiration to be created soon after the internet was created?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sent from Iron Dukes:

Thanks much

This is as good a place as any to ask this, I guess, is there any good way to keep the ESPN app playing in the background (rather than keeping the app open the whole time)?

Crying while talking about his mom and dad... that’s so K.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Whew

I'm sure there are many of us who got emotional watching that press conference. For me, it had less to do with sadness that he's leaving coaching and more a nostalgic reminder of how Duke, the university with which he is synonymous, has made me feel over the years. He/his team is the reason I became obsessed with going to Duke when I was 9 years old (the '92 championship year). Hearing him speak so graciously of his time at Duke reminded me of the mystique I felt visiting campus for the first time, the excitement of getting admitted, the pride I felt to be a student here for 8 years (and to work here for much longer). I've never met the man and yet...the husband I have, the good friends I still see, the job training I received, are in a very strange way, largely because of him. And he has allowed me to have pride in my school because he represented us so well. He did things with dignity, with class, the right way. We're all really going to miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    I'm sure there are many of us who got emotional watching that press conference. For me, it had less to do with sadness that he's leaving coaching and more a nostalgic reminder of how Duke, the university with which he is synonymous, has made me feel over the years. He/his team is the reason I became obsessed with going to Duke when I was 9 years old (the '92 championship year). Hearing him speak so graciously of his time at Duke reminded me of the mystique I felt visiting campus for the first time, the excitement of getting admitted, the pride I felt to be a student here for 8 years (and to work here for much longer). I've never met the man and yet...the husband I have, the good friends I still see, the job training I received, are in a very strange way, largely because of him. And he has allowed me to have pride in my school because he represented us so well. He did things with dignity, with class, the right way. We're all really going to miss him.
    It was a really great press conference. Better than I expected, even. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but I expect his actual retirement press conference will really be something.

Posted to YouTube by The News & Observer (link here, embedded below)

It's an hour and five minutes long, so I assume it's the entire press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Posted to YouTube by The News & Observer (link here, embedded below)

It's an hour and five minutes long, so I assume it's the entire press conference.
    Really worth the watch for anyone who missed it.

I'll add that some of White and K's comments have me feeling increasingly optimistic about the upcoming season. Also, there is a lot of discussion about timing the announcement as it relates to recruiting, but do you think maybe the guys are going to be a little more amped up for summer conditioning workouts now?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'll add that some of White and K's comments have me feeling increasingly optimistic about the upcoming season. Also, there is a lot of discussion about timing the announcement as it relates to recruiting, but do you think maybe the guys are going to be a little more amped up for summer conditioning workouts now?
    Related to that, I was really happy to hear him say that I believe the freshmen arrive this weekend. The sooner they can start working out, the better, especially with so many new players. And the sooner they are on campus, the sooner the tiny voice in the back of my head that is worried about the G League picking someone off at the last second shuts up.

I saw most but not all of K's speech. Several times he namechecked the guys who I assume were there - Wendell, Baker, Worthington and Savarino. He mentioned the transfers and the freshmen. I guess it was just an oversight that he left off Roach and Williams, or maybe I missed it. He is typically incredibly thorough about these types of things. I am not reading anything into this, just something I noticed.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I loved that, and also loved that the Duke MBB twitter account tweeted out that quote. It's clear that Coach K has no intention of leaving an empty cupboard for Scheyer, which often ends up being the case in college transitions (it's doomed many a successor in college football, certainly).

I also love the not so subtle comparison between K setting up a clear transition plan and Roy retiring effective immediately (and after a very underwhelming recruiting year too). Objectively, it's pretty clear that Coach K has set Jon up for success much better than Roy has for Hubert.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Alongside the video, which was revealing and also reassuring, the clip of Jay Williams on First Take was short but thought provoking.

A couple of very interesting answers out of our Jay.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Alongside the video, which was revealing and also reassuring, the clip of Jay Williams on First Take was short but thought provoking.

A couple of very interesting answers out of our Jay.
    Quick summary? I'm curious now.

Jay sort of went the "changes in transfer portal, NIL, OAD, etc" route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQVC_X7334

4:44 long MD..