Phil Spector has died in prison of COVID

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...80/ar-BB1cPGEg

Possibly a musical genius, certainly an influential producer, best known for the Wall of Sound, unfortunately tarnished by his mental issues.

Hope he has found peace.
    Last edited by dudog84; 01-17-2021 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Possibly a musical genius, certainly an influential producer, best know for the Wall of Sound, unfortunately tarnished by his mental issues.

Hope he has found peace.
    Wow, the Wall of Sound really had quite a run...yeah, definitely a tormented musical genius.

Possibly a musical genius, certainly an influential producer, best known for the Wall of Sound, unfortunately tarnished by his mental issues.

Hope he has found peace.
    Unfortunately tarnished by his mental issues? Really? This guy had a decades long history of harassing and abusing women including lots of physical violence. Total misogynist. And a convicted murderer. He might’ve had major talents in his field, but he was an awful human being. RIP and all that, but he was a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Unfortunately tarnished by his mental issues? Really? This guy had a decades long history of harassing and abusing women including lots of physical violence. Total misogynist. And a convicted murderer. He might’ve had major talents in his field, but he was an awful human being. RIP and all that, but he was a monster.
    Dude, lighten up. I posted this because it was newsworthy, not to start something.

A very, very complicated legacy. On the musical side of things he was as big a part of the development of rock music as anyone, one of the first people to use the studio as an instrument. His wall-of-sound-legacy was huge.

But yes, his interpersonal relationships were well below optimal.

Dude, lighten up. I posted this because it was newsworthy, not to start something.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But yes, his interpersonal relationships were well below optimal.
    I didn't intend to, and definitely don't want to start anything either. It's just something that always bugs me. I'm not saying this was your intention at all, but it always bugs me when the misdeeds of a person, sometimes including horrific crimes, are minimized, or worse, swept under the rug entirely when the person is being described, and his life summarized, upon his death merely because he could play an instrument (or produce music) or throw a ball in a hoop or convince a lot of people to vote for him.

I'm quite certain that the many, many women who had a drunken Spector hold a gun to her head because she refused his advances, or Lana Clarkson, who had him shove a gun in her mouth before essentially blowing her head off, would feel that language such as "tarnished by mental issues" or "well below optimal" don't begin to capture the intimidation and terror that this diminutive bully brought to bear upon women on a regular basis.

Phil Spector was an incredible producer.

Phil Spector was a horrible human being in many respects.

Such is the complexity of life.

Mark Twain once said something to the effect of “I never wished anyone dead, but I read some obituaries with pleasure.” Maybe that fits the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Phil Spector was an incredible producer.

Phil Spector was a horrible human being in many respects.

Succinct and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Succinct and accurate.
    Agreed.

BBC changed and apologized for their first headline on Spector's death. Matter of fact they changed it twice. It seems they were getting flack for putting his music career before the murder of Lana Clarkson and other crimes. The first headline read; Talented but flawed producer Phil Spector dies aged 81. The second read; Pop producer jailed for murder dies at 81. The last headline read; Murder and music producer Spector dies at 81.